The 2017 FLYRA Middle School State Championship promises to showcase the future stars of our sport. Keep it locked on FLRunners.com for LIVE Updates, LIVE Results, archived race videos, photos, recaps, and much more.
- Ani Veltcheva of Abraham Lincoln Middle School holds off Montverde Academy's Lily Henne 10:35.90 to 10:36.30 to win the girls 3k. Veltcheva, who also won the FLYRA MS XC Championship was third in the 3k last year. (WATCH VIDEO)
- Two athletes who competed at the 1A state championship a week ago at IMG, finished 1-2 in the boys 3k. Mitchell Curtis who was 3rd in the 3,200 at state won with a time of 9:26.30, while 3,200m state champion Austin Montini of Oak Hall was second in 9:36.22. (WATCH VIDEO)
- Girls 4x800m championship goes to Indian Trails Middle School in a time of 10:16.87. How about them MGX boys 4x800m relay champions with a time of 9:07.03, seven seconds better than their seed time coming in.
- The wind definitely aided the 100 meter hurdlers which would have set new meet records. Excellent runs by Alexis Glassco (14.30 with a 4.8 m/s wind and Lauderdale Lakes Jerry Philippe (13.94 with a 4.3 m/s wind). Those times in normal conditions convert to roughly 14.29 and 14.69.
- Sprint phenom Tamari Davis goes 11.34w (6.1m/s). Factoring in wind and altitude, that converts to roughly 11.66 in normal conditions. Micanopy Middle School 8th grader Kesean Brown takes the boys victory in 10.64w (7.4m/s).
- FIRST MEET RECORD: Belongs to Mitchell Curtis who picks up his second win of the day winning the boys 1,500m in 4:17.83 breaking that of Artise Lewis who ran 4:18.33 in 2015. Keleigh Scallon of HTTR Tornadoes runs a fantastic last lap to win in 5:00.74.
- Saniyah Tillman of Running For Christ blazes a 55.78 to win the girls 400m dash. The whole field was 60 seconds or under.Aaron Bell of Matthew W. Gilbert MS wins the boys race in 50.83s.
- Alexis Glassco of Lauderlakes MS makes it a hurdle sweep. She wins 200mH in 26.27w. Cyrus Ways of St. Johns Striders edges out 100mH champ Jerry Philippe to win boys 200mH in 25.20w.
- Cha'iel Johnson, daughter of NFL wide receiver Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson" jumps up to the middle school age group and wins the 800m in 2:17.84 just missing the meet record of 2:16.82 set in 2015 by Daishon Spann.
- Mitchell Curtis of Mt. Dora Christian Academy picks up his third gold of the afternoon winning the boys 800m run.
- Tamari Davis goes a blazing 23.32w (4.6 m/s wind) which equates to approximately 23.52 in ideal conditions. Picks up the sprint double for the second consecutive year. Close race in the boys 200m between Galen Johnson (22.06), Aaron Bell (22.11), and Kesean Brown (22.14).
- E.O.T.O Elite wins the final section of the girls 4x400m in 4:00.36 which was over 18 seconds faster than their seed time coming in. MGX boys go 3:42.59 to put an exclamation a great FLYRA Middle School State Championship.
Field Event Highlights
- FIELD EVENT MEET RECORD: Montverde Academy's Kai Eisenhardt goes 11-2 in the pole vault surpassing Laine Robert's 10-8 from last season.
- FIELD EVENT MEET RECORD: Tyra Thomas of Running For Christ wins the triple jump with a mark of 34-9 breaking the record set by Natiya James last year by half of an inch.
- Three boys hit 6-0 in the high jump with Zayne Palomino winning on attempts.
- Akari Isaac unleashes and impressive throw of 43-2 to win the girls shot put.