Use of an inhaler during a race?
09/19/2018 9:45:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have a runner who is prescribed an inhaler for asthma. What are the rules for when he can use it? Can it be used during the race? Thanks
I have a runner who is prescribed an inhaler for asthma. What are the rules for when he can use it? Can it be used during the race? Thanks
09/19/2018 10:30:19 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Longhorn I'm not saying it's "legal" because I'm not sure, but I have seen a runner use one during a track championship race. I'm assuming you have to get special permission from FHSAA or the meet host.
@Longhorn

I'm not saying it's "legal" because I'm not sure, but I have seen a runner use one during a track championship race. I'm assuming you have to get special permission from FHSAA or the meet host.
09/19/2018 10:41:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I emailed with Alex about this last year having an athlete with a similar situation. I was told to have a doctor's note saying that the inhaler is necessary and may need to be used during the race. I then had the athlete carried the inhaler with her and use it only if necessary. I feel like this is more appropriate in that the athlete should only use it during distress. If you "plan" to use it halfway through the race when you pass your mom/dad/coach I am not sure that qualifies (in my mind, not FHSAA) that the inhaler usage was necessary.
I emailed with Alex about this last year having an athlete with a similar situation. I was told to have a doctor's note saying that the inhaler is necessary and may need to be used during the race. I then had the athlete carried the inhaler with her and use it only if necessary. I feel like this is more appropriate in that the athlete should only use it during distress. If you "plan" to use it halfway through the race when you pass your mom/dad/coach I am not sure that qualifies (in my mind, not FHSAA) that the inhaler usage was necessary.
09/19/2018 11:26:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jlafollette great saves me an email to fhsaa.
@jlafollette
great saves me an email to fhsaa.
09/19/2018 4:06:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Longhorn Spoke to Alex this summer about the same thing and he said to make sure the FHSAA has a note that said athlete requires the inhaler from a doctor. Use is as needed, he would rather not have the athlete get into breathing trouble. I would add there is no tactical advantage to hitting an inhaler during a race, because you would loose 20-30 seconds at minimum to stop and administer the meds properly.
@Longhorn
Spoke to Alex this summer about the same thing and he said to make sure the FHSAA has a note that said athlete requires the inhaler from a doctor. Use is as needed, he would rather not have the athlete get into breathing trouble. I would add there is no tactical advantage to hitting an inhaler during a race, because you would loose 20-30 seconds at minimum to stop and administer the meds properly.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.