A Final Farewell to my Friends

• Ary Montalvo
    Coach
    CoachMontalvo Edited
    Dear Friends,

I figure before the championship series starts I would write a few words of farewell. After almost 20 years of coaching in Florida, I made a decision just after last track season that this would be my last cross country season. This decision is one that I wrestle with for a couple of years. Although my wife has never asked me to give up coaching, something that she knows, that I love and enjoy doing. It
  • Coach Raposo
    Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachRaposo
    ARY!!!!! You sir are a man among men. And might I add, that was one heck of a farewell message! Not only are you a phenomenal coach, but you're a great person too (although I'm sure everyone already knows that). It's been my pleasure to have gotten to know you better over the last 3-4 years as I've turned into the coach that I am today. Although we only have the occasional five minute conversation here and there, I've learned something every time and I strive to be where you find yourself today.

Thank you for everything you've done, not just for your athletes or other coaches or even me, but thank you for everything you've done for running in Miami-Dade County and the sport of cross country as we know it in the state of Florida. Oddly enough, I was perusing your team's homepage about an hour ago just reading old Lourdes tales of yesteryears. I do that every so often and coincidentally enough you go and post this. =D

So now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, let me say I hate to see you go, but I love to see you leave! Now maybe my girls will get a shot at a District title one of these days! I'm tired of silvers! That's right Rebecca, we're coming!

Okay, I've typed enough. See you Wednesday at District!
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason Edited
    Ary... Thanks for the message, thanks for the memories and friendship, and I'm honored by your words. I already told you this at Southern Stars, but you are truly a legend, an example for all coaches in your knowledge, abilities, and humility. You will be truly missed and I hope we get the chance to see you again sometime!

For those of you who don't know... back when I graduated from high school, had no money, and the future of this web site was in doubt. It was two guys from Miami who stepped up to help. Jorge Munoz-Bustamante (a runner at Belen Jesuit) gave us the first real web hosting for the site and Coach Ary Montavlo donated the $70 to buy the domain name. That's right... Coach Montavlo was the man who purchased the first two years of the flrunners.com domain name for us! Without them there might not be an flrunners.com today!

You have always been there for me and supported this site. Thank you. Your dynasty at Lourdes will always be remembered and your legacy as a great coach and a great man will live on even as you move out of state!

Thanks again,

Jason Byrne
    flrunners.com
  • Tom Esquijarosa
    User
    RunfortheStars
    Ary;
    I am honored to have you appear in our Invitational which by the looks of it will be your last. You are a true champion and an embassador to the sport of Cross Country.
    Best of luck to you!
    Coach T
    Westminster Christian School
  • Doug Butler
    User
    coachbutler
    All our thoughts and prayers are with you Ary. You Sir, have been an inspiration to more people than you know. My first memory is the flrunners invite 2002. My girls had run out of their mind and somehow beaten the Lourdes girls. It was a first and they were to young to realize the size of that win. But, the results were barely posted when all your girls came to the tent and one by one congratulated our girls. Class like that is a rarity! Of course the following week at UF we had the honor of repaying you with a congratulation on your victory : ) I thank you for coming up to our meet a few years back and making that a special day. I think the best thing about you and your program is not how good they are, but the level of professionalism and the sportsmanship of all at Lourdes is passed by none.

Best of Luck Ary:
    Doug
  • Dan Epstein
    Coach
    eppa
    Coach I will never forget the day you came to the Lecanto Invitational. As a Cross-Country Coach it was an honor to have one of the best teams set foot on our campus. You truly are a class act and so was your team. I wish you and your family the best in the future.

Coach Epstein
  • User
    jausna08 Edited
    Coach,

It is definitely sad to see you go after many great years of coaching. Your dedication, committment, and hard work that you put into the Lourdes XC team went way above what most coaches put into their teams. That dedication, committment, and hard work has reflected with the amount of hardware and pride (while being humble) that you and your teams have earned. I know that you will be missed in the Miami high school running community, dearly. Best of luck to you and your wife in these times and hopefully I will see you around during some running events in Miami.

Finally, thank you for being a great coach that sets the right example on and off the course.

See you around,
    Jordan
  • John Kalin
    User
    JohnKalin
    Ary,
    It has been such a treat whenever I've been lucky enough to run into you and your girls. What an awesome family!
    Many memories, all good. Probably the best was the ability to accompany your kids of the tour of Tallahassee's trails on your team's summer visit a couple years ago. Hope we can repeat that in the future - if they promise to kidnap you and bring you along. Please have them throw JasonB on the bus on the way north.
    All the best to you, your wife, and all our South Florida friends.
    With love and deep appreciation,
    John Kalin
    joka51@juno.com
    "If I fall you're going down with me" - Trail running advice from my Dixie Chicks
    "Pugsley: It's how I roll" www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html
    tallahasseetrails.smugmug.com/
  • Coach
    Insider
    rcrabtree
    I will alway remember finding you on the far back side of our course at our meet this year. You looked at me and said, "I'll really miss this." Just like the sport will miss you. But let's not get too maudlin yet. The closing act has yet to be played. Still some more miles to run. Enjoy each one and then there will be time to reminisce. Always remember, you are always welcome. doc
  • User
    Insider
    RayRodriguez Edited
    While I was making my schedule for the 2006 XC season, I was considering going to the Lecanto Invite, but I was just not sure. Once I saw Ary and the Ladies of Lourdes would be attending, it made me 100% sure I was indeed going to attend this meet. It gave me the opportunity to show my AHN team, another all-girls school, what was possible for them. This season, they still talk about the Lourdes team at that meet.

Coach Montalvo, thank you for taking the time to talk to me every time we met at a cross country or track meet. You have always been generous with your time and advice in person in through messages on the computer. You have given me the best advice thus far in my coaching experience at AHN. You are no doubt one of my role models. You will be sorely missed, but we know you are a man of class and doing this for the best reasons.

Take care and see you at state.

-Ray Rodriguez
    Academy of the Holy Names Cross Country/Tampa-Jesuit Track & Field
  • Coach
    runner1000000
    Ary,

I think everyone else has already said what I would have said. I will, therefore, keep it to the point. You are one in a million and you have made all of our lives and those of your student-athletes better by knowing you.

No greater tribute can be given to any person than that.

Best of luck.

Everett Morris
  • Gary Droze
    Coach
    Insider
    GaryDroze
    Ary,
    Whenever I start to fall into the trap of getting caught up in wins and losses - overestimating the significance of a high school championship - I can just step back and look at what you have accomplished at Lourdes. Certainly, lots of victories...but much more importantly: a tradition of sports(wo)manship that makes your young ladies a model team for the rest of us to emulate. You have taught extremely important lessons to generations of runners. Only some of that has to do with running exceptionally well. Your enthusiasm for life is reflected in all those you have coached.
    THANK YOU!
    -Gary
  • Gary Droze
    Coach
    Insider
    GaryDroze
    Ary,
    Whenever I start to fall into the trap of getting caught up in wins and losses - overestimating the significance of a high school championship - I can just step back and look at what you have accomplished at Lourdes. Certainly, lots of victories...but much more importantly: a tradition of sports(wo)manship that makes your young ladies a model team for the rest of us to emulate. You have taught extremely important lessons to generations of runners. Only some of that has to do with running exceptionally well. Your enthusiasm for life is reflected in all those you have coached.
    THANK YOU!
    -Gary
  • holly thompson
    User
    highjumpin
    Ari,

Congrats on many successful years coaching. You have truly guided many athletes to great lifetime memories. Speaking as a MIamian you have help our Cross Country/ Track community with your knowledge for years to come!!!

Holly Kelly-Thompson
    MF Athletic Co.
    Miami Palmetto HS (Class of 1987!!!)
  • Coach
    coachjjc
    Dear Coach Montalvo,
    Thank you for a magnificent coaching career, a magnificent example for all of us, and a magnificent farewell letter. I am proud to say that for my fifteen years of coaching here in Miami I have known a truly great man and the best model of a coach I've seen in five different states over thirty-nine years of teaching and coaching. I cannot adequately express my personal thanks to you for the countless kindnesses you have shown to me and to my teams and the constant encouragement you have given to our program. You are a perfect gentleman on all occasions and a font of wisdom for coaches and athletes. I speak for the Christian Brothers at All Hallows (Bronx, N.Y.) and at Iona College (New Rochelle, N.Y.) in thanking God for such an outstanding alumnus. If I can ever be of any service to you or your wife or Erik, please do not hesitate to contact me. In all aspects of life, you have always "RUN SO AS TO WIN!" May God continue to bless you and keep you.
    Br. J.J.Corcoran, Archbishop Curley-Notre Dame H.S.