Best Colleges for Middle Distance-Distance Runners

• Henry Kupczyk
    Coach
    coachkupczyk
    Nova Southeastern University (NSU) is the future.
    Great Education (Undergrad,Grad-Medical & Law School)
    Brand New Facilities (300,000 sq.ft University Center & Dorms)
    Broke ground for a Sports complex & Mondo track!!
    Highly qualified Sports Medicine Department
    Fully funded Athletic Scholarships (Both Men & Women)
    Plus coaches that know what their doing!!!!!! Especially mid-long distance
    nsuathletics.nova.edu/
  • Hugh Smith
    User
    droppindaduece Edited
    coachkupczyk
    Nova Southeastern University (NSU) is the future.
    Great Education (Undergrad,Grad-Medical & Law School)
    Brand New Facilities (300,000 sq.ft University Center & Dorms)
    Broke ground for a Sports complex & Mondo track!!
    Highly qualified Sports Medicine Department
    Fully funded Athletic Scholarships (Both Men & Women)
    Plus coaches that know what their doing!!!!!! Especially mid-long distance
    nsuathletics.nova.edu/

I think next semester im gonna enroll in "Shameless Plugs 101" taught by Coach Kupczyk!!!
  • Sam Fageeh
    User
    SamIam
    Chobee_CC_Girl11
    Does anyone know of schools that also offer architecture as a major in state/out of state?

UF is the one I hear about the most in Florida.
    Out of state, I'm not too sure.

You could probably google US News Report for architecture programs.
    Good luck.
  • Kenny Blount
    User
    YRUSONVUS
    Coach Kup,

I notice your profile listing all of your personal best times while at UF. 8:48 3000m SC? Smoking fast. I was curious of how that would rank on Florida's all time list. Top 5 I would think. According to www.gatorzone.com/trackfield/men/stats/notes/pre.pdf , your time would rank you number six, right ahead of Ryder Leary. But I couldn't find your name. Just a type-o, or did you run the indoor steeplechase that year? The archives go back to the 60s, so what's going on? Did you run it unattached?
  • User
    runner1630
    Coach Kup,

Your resume also states "he began his coaching career in 1996 as a graduate volunteer assistant at Florida International University, helping to monitor the cross country and distance squads." Why do none of the distance runners at FIU from that time remember you coaching them. Also I thought Lynn was the upcoming school?
  • Jaeden Hamernik
    User
    jaedenhamernik
    Not sure why you guys are questioning this guy. Even if what he is saying in his profile is not true, the question was what college's are best for Middle-Distance and Distance runners. I know kids on that team and have run against them since middle school and Nova seems like an excellent answer regardless of credentials.
  • User
    jimmyjam
    My name is Jiimmy Metayer & I'm just an average joe from Cary,NC responding to this string.
    Nova U sure sounds like the type of school I would like to send my kids to. With our struggling economy, athletic scholarships, a school that has a medical school,law and one of the best mba programs in the country; who would'nt. But most importantly, some of you have questioned the credentials of who coachkupczyk is. Well I know who he is LOL! and many of you that questions him know who he is and shame on your jealous envy. Yes coachkupczyk did coach @FIU in the mid 90's under Mike Becker, the head coach back then and Jessica Hudson the assistant. You can just ask people such as Randy Watkins, Horace Laing, etc and myself to just name a few. Coach Kupczyk is if not the best, one of the best middle distance running coaches around in North America. He turned me into a washed up 1:55 half miler at FIU into a sub 1:50 runner within 1yr of training and eventually PR 1:47 at Lynn U. before the school dropped the program due to title9. I would not be who I am today if it were not due to Coach Kupczyk. And yes Coach Kupczyk did run impressive times in his days at UF and post collegiate. Thats 15-20 yrs ago, why do who peple care so much? Who cares now. I think all of you in question need to move on and get a life. It is what it is and Coach Kupczyk/Nova U are what they are. Besides as the string suggests Best Colleges for Middle-Distance Runners, Nova U. is one of them. Move on People.
  • User
    FastAsATurtle
    Some thoughts:

from Coach's profile:
    Ran 2 sub 3:00 Miami Tropical Marathons(02'-03') on only 25 miles/week training.

2003 Toyota Prius Miami Tropical Marathon
    Henry Kupczyk M 33 4:09:53

source: www.athlinks.com/results/15163/21493/Toyota-Prius-....

I'll also point out that it's rather convenient that "jimmyjam" registered just today to put his two cents in (his only post ever). It might be interesting for Jason to do an IP identification on that one.

I know this has NOTHING to do with Coach Kupczyk's coaching ability (I'm sure he could be a wonderful coach, and Nova could become one of the great running schools in Florida), but fabricating results is kind of silly.

To quote one of the more respected users on the board,
    It is to laugh.
  • Alex Shaw
    Coach
    Insider
    Gooch7
    I had the honor to run Cross/Track for FIU from 1997 to 2002 and I never even heard of Coach Kup. Hey next time try to update your resume with less mistakes. As for the original question "WHAT UNIVERSITIES HAVE THE BEST DISTANCE PROGRAMS?" In my opinion there is 4 or 5 very good programs in our state. Since I only ran against Division I competion I can speak on behalf of all the NAIA schools that are "Nationally Ranked". My Top 5:

FSU (lots of International runners and a great coach)
    UF (known for great milers/amazing facilities)
    FIU (amazing coach/young team on both sides/great campus)
    UCF (very nice campus, but stuck in orlando)
    USF (has a great facility/team has not run as good as they did in 1998-2000)

In the end, we are lucky to have a nice list of very good schools that are also competative when it comes to distance runnng. Good luck to all the Seniors this year!
  • Jaeden Hamernik
    User
    jaedenhamernik
    FastAsATurtle
    Some thoughts:

from Coach's profile:
    Ran 2 sub 3:00 Miami Tropical Marathons(02'-03') on only 25 miles/week training.

2003 Toyota Prius Miami Tropical Marathon
    Henry Kupczyk M 33 4:09:53

source: www.athlinks.com/results/15163/21493/Toyota-Prius-....

I'll also point out that it's rather convenient that "jimmyjam" registered just today to put his two cents in (his only post ever). It might be interesting for Jason to do an IP identification on that one.

To quote one of the more respected users on the board,
    It is to laugh.

Oooh, HHhmm, somoenes got some splaaanen' to do...
  • Kenny Blount
    User
    YRUSONVUS
    jimmyjam...

Sounds like a Coach K alias to me...

Before he erased his "About me" section, this new "jimmy jam" sure has a lot of the same writing characteristics that Coach K had.

Sounds like a lot of work for an interim head coach...

Sadly, just looks like another Coach King thread to me.
  • User
    Hellion
    I ran on FIU's 1996 Cross Country team with the likes of Horace Laing, Randy Watkins, Jimmy Sellers, David Lewis, and was coached under both Mike Becker and Coach Hudson, and never did a Henry K. assist in coaching us at all. I actually called around some old teammates from the 1992-1996 years and no one else from FIU had heard of him other than Becker himself.

There are certainly some discrepancies in his bio that need to be addressed because fraudulent information on a resume should not be heralded, but condemned.

I am noting that Henry K. is not responding to this thread any longer. Perhaps all questions could be directed to the Nova Athletic Director, Michael Mominey at mominey@nova.edu
  • User
    Hellion Edited
    Concerning Best Colleges for Middle Distance-Distance Runners, based on 2007, Florida State and Florida have distanced themselves from the rest of the state as the top-tier programs concerning 800-10,000m.
  • User
    runner1630
    Jimmy...I'm glad you defend the coach who turned you into as great half miler, although I think at least some credit should be given to Mike Becker who had a knack for developing GREAT 800m racers. The point here is that coaches should be more than just someone who trains you. They should be someone a 17 year old can trust ethically. Parents entrust their children for 4 years to a coach, and they should be able to believe in that person not only to develop them athletically but as a person. Coach Kup has never been with a program long enough to see a recruit graduate. He has more flaws in his resume than what got George O'Leary fired from Notre Dame and most importantly he has shown that he should not be entrusted with the future of a young man or woman. As far as best colleges in the state for distance running...it depends on each individual athlete and what they are looking for (city life vs. rural town...DI vs. DII vs. NAIA competition...academic major...relationship with coach...)
  • garry roberts
    User
    gator
    Heather,
    After being an architect for over 23 years and having been licensed in over 15 states, I offer to you some "cheap" advice and biassed opinions.
    Competitive running on the college level and one majoring in Architecture does not always mix well. It is difficult but not impossible.Your running experiences will have a great impact on you in the future. Running has taught has taught you many intangibles: dedication, commitment, focus, confidence in yourself, how to compete, hard work = success, etc.
    As far as in-state vs. out-of-state: If you plan on living in and practicing Architecture in the State of Florida in the future, go to an in-state university. Just because you receive a professional degree from an accredited university does not automatically allow you to obtain your license in the State of Florida after you pass the Architectural Exam. The Department of Professional Regulation in the State of Florida does not accept all colleges' curriculum. The universities within the State of Florida have modeled their programs knowing the states' curriculum criteria and requirements.
    As far as which state school: U of Florida is constantly ranked in the top 10 for its Architecture program. U of South Florida is the up and coming program, Uof Miami is good but private, and FSU has no Architectural program.
    Competition to gain acceptance into each schools' program will continue to be intense.
    FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! You already have a great foundation based on your running experiences. Another side note: Do not ever give up the sport of running.
    BEST OF LUCK THIS SEASON AND IN THE FUTURE!