Entering times/marks for online entry

• Scott Peters
    Site Admin
    Halfmiletiming
    Coaches,
    A friendly reminder that all the characters need to be in your entries for online entry. Examples below:

1600m Run: 4:20.00 is correct. 4:20 is not. That comes across as 4.20 seconds.
    100m Dash: 12.20 is correct. 12:2000 is not. That comes across as 12 minutes and 20 seconds.
    Long Jump: 19'2.5" is correct. 192.5 is not. That comes across as 192'5"

Please make sure your marks are corrrect becasue the data programs use them to seed. For meets timed by Half-Mile Timing, Inc. after this week, these will be entered as NT and seeded at the end of the events. It takes too much time for me to go and scan each entry for each meet to see if they were correct. Hy-Tek will boot them out if they are not within the normal range for an event. I am guessing that other Hy-Tek operators / timing companies will do the same. Please enter correctly so you don't penalize your athletes and they get seeded where they belong.

The other thing to look out for is make sure you have claimed your team before the entry deadline date. You need to make sure your entries are in before the deadlines so that management does not have to re-open the database. That just messes up the entire week of preparation for events and may cause the entries to get screwed up if sheets have already been produced.

Summary: Please be accurate and on time with your entries!!! Only you can keep your athletes from getting penalized due to inaccurate or late entry!

Good luck to everyone this season!

Scott Peters
    Half-Mile Timing, Inc.
  • Pat Crandall
    Coach
    Insider
    gpc3
    On behalf of me and my blithering idiot colleagues, I would like to plead insanity. When you have 80 kids (and we're a small school) on the team and they're all doing 3 different events and you're trying to juggle those 240 pieces of ephemeral data in between classes and all the other things we have to do, it's a miracle we get ANYTHING in on deadline, much less exactly how you want it. We try; we really do. But forgive us our trespasses as forgive those who sometimes get the results wrong. We're all human. Help us when you can, and we shall do the same for you.

Thus endeth the lesson. Amen.
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason Edited
    @LFCSumner3 @Halfmiletiming @gpc3

I will talk with our other developer and see if we can insert some better logic in there to try to make corrections for coaches who mistype. But at some point... yes... you gotta enter them right. And in no world is 12:20 = 12.20 seconds... it is 12 minutes and 20 seconds.

But we already do make some auto corrections.... will try to do more and make it smarter. Whatever we can do to help all!
  • Scott Peters
    Site Admin
    Halfmiletiming
    Just trying to get some awareness out there. The typo here and there is fine, I am talking about the routine incorrect entry by not typing all the characters needed to make a real time to the hundredth. As I have always done, I will work with the coaches,etc. to make meets go well, but I feel that at this early season time it is a great time to make folks aware of the issue. This is not meant to be a knock on anyone, just an informational item.

Just for informational purposes let me detail the week of those of us that try to provide quality service to the meets that occur here in Florida and across the country. The following is not a complaint or an attempt to get sympathy. It is also not a knock on those doing something else or the meets/teams that routinely re-open databases, change entries, "forget" to do entries, show up to meets without doing any entries and get upset that they will not be recorded. I love my job and try to do it to the highest standard, I would just like to have somethings go as scheduled during the season so I can get to the extra things that may make our meets better. Those of you that host meets all the time know what I am talking about. Let's all make an effort to get things done on time and accurately.

Monday: Take care of family isssues, laundry, bills, etc. Databases for the week close normally at 11:59pm on this night.

Tuesday: Download entry data for all meets (Normally 4-10 depending on the week), correct errors if I can figure them out for each meet, dump data into the hy-Tek database for each meet, seed each meet, produce and email all the sheets for each meet in PDF so staff at each school can copy as needed and have them ready for the meet, send email backup file to the operator scheduled to do each event. Upon completion of all of this, Re-open each database that a coach missed entry for and repeat the whole above process at least once during the day and plan to redo on Wednesday.

Wednesday: Repeat Tuesday for those that re-opened the databases without telling me. Make travel arrangements for all events for the week and upcoming weeks as we can. Distribute and pack all equipment for events across the state.

Thursday-Saturday: Travel and operate events all over the country. Post results of all the events as they come in from operators by email. Correct events where a variety of different issues may have occured.

Sunday: Travel home or if home, answer the emails, etc. for past meets and upcoming meets. Complete Invoicing, Billing, Payment of operators, scheduling adjustments for upcoming events.

I understand that the life of a track coach is just as hectic. I did that along with some of the other timers in the state as well. I am asking that an effort be made to get things in by the deadline (or earlier so you can review on deadline day :) )to make the events all over the state function better.

A timer in another state used the analogy of someone having a deadline for entries then re-opening the database for then next day or more to him showing up for a meet at noon when the meet started at 9am.

Again, this is not a complaint, but mearly information for those that have the belief that timers sit around and wait for the events to happen and do nothing else. Now back to the meets for this weekend!!!!!
  • Mike Hill
    Site Admin
    Coach_Hill
    @jason

I will jump in on this too and ask the coaches to make sure they respect the entry deadlines as well. Everything Scott said is accurate. It isn't just your meet that is affected when an event has been open for a long time and no entries are put in for your athletes...

People who know me, know how important it is to me to do the right thing every time, and it would be a huge help if after having this online registration up for several years now, the entries be on time and accurate. On any given weekend Scott and/or I may have 5-8 events going on and if we don't get entries in, in a timely fashion, we have to speed up the process somehow. Spitting out incorrect seed times is just one way. From time to time I go through online entries and change what I see before the download, but I can not always count on time to do that. Jason has put several instructional documents on the website to help even the most technologically challenged (My friend Nowicki) get through it. In the end, everyone wants full lanes, appropriate entries, and a great event for the athletes.

It doesn't hurt my feeling at all when a meet goes really well for the host!

Sincerely,
    Mike Hill
  • Pat Crandall
    Coach
    Insider
    gpc3
    And to temper my previous remarks, may I extend my (our) greatest gratitude for the service provided. Quick and accurate results, along with the database Jason keeps, is INVALUABLE to the whole sport. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Coach Lowenstein
    Site Admin
    xclow
    @Coach_Hill Bump away Mike! I had to get a substitute for the second half of the day on Friday to fix the entries for our relay meet. I was half way done when a coach called to say he wasn't able to log in before the deadline and so I had to start all over again. Really frustrating.
  • Mike Hill
    Site Admin
    Coach_Hill
    @Coach_Hill
    Every time I reopen a registration, I will bump this to remind people what needs to be done.

I apologize to the 95%+ who get it done on time. It's like eating 70 grapes and just the 1 sour one. That is the one you taste!
  • Mike Hill
    Site Admin
    Coach_Hill
    This bump is dedicated to the unnamed coach who woke me up with my phone's email "dinger" asking for a meet to be reopened because he didn't know it wasn't open until midnight. Funny thing.......... in the body of the email he sent, it said entries close at 6pm today. It said it in that exact email.

Coaches, I beg of you, please - please help us out by respecting the entry deadline. There is a process that follows that closure that is not instant and we (just like any good coach) want things to go smoothly at your meet. This process must now be redone.

Back to bed.

Bump.
  • Coach
    Insider
    lhaggins
    Mike, Please Close the Lakeland City Meet out. All Coaches should have done their entries by now. I know I re-opened it to 10:59. I felt it should have originally closed at 11:59 last night to give those coaches that do not work in the school board time to complete their entries when they get off and get done with practice. But the other on campus coaches had time if not... OOOOOOOOOOH WELLLLLLLLLLL...
  • Scott Peters
    Site Admin
    Halfmiletiming
    2 High School bumps again this week. Some of the excuses are amazing. Off campus coaches need until midnight???????????? the multiple weeks these are open are not enough? We need a prize for the host that does not re-open or maybe a meet where everyone enters early! If this were a class, when would the research papers really be due? When would finals really happen?

Maybe what we should do as meet management is pick a charity, charge the offending school a late fee and make the donation to the charity? That way the offender may learn that a penalty does exist for not following directions, but we as timers/meet managers don't get accused of only being in it for the money. Any takers? Suggestions on how we can begin to slow the leaks in the system?
  • Coach
    Insider
    lhaggins
    Really??? I was being generous to those coaches, I DON'T have that problem. So therefore, it's not an excuse for me.
  • Chris Kail
    Site Admin
    ckailjr
    This is a Quadruple bump for mike hill. He called me this morning to let me know I needed to re open 4 of his meets already today because the month the registration was open for these events was not long enough to get entries in. Good luck at districts guys, what are you going to do when you miss the registration deadline and your athletes who worked so hard all season don't get to run? unfortunate.
  • Scott Peters
    Site Admin
    Halfmiletiming
    Not the dreaded Thursday bump while at a meet or in route to one! I think we need a uniform Monday midnight or Tuesday midnight for all meets each week so everyone can plan accordingly. Thanks to my folks this week using milesplit.......0 bumps and not even April fools yet!