XC State Venue

• Andy Holmes
    User
    Insider
    aholmes80
    I am curious to see if Alligator Lake Park is puting in a bid to host. I know they hosted 3 regions in one day for cc last year. Anyone have any thoughts on that venue? I do not know the course or if it is spectator friendly, parking, etc.?
  • Coach Raposo
    Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachRaposo
    aholmes80
    I am curious to see if Alligator Lake Park is puting in a bid to host. I know they hosted 3 regions in one day for cc last year. Anyone have any thoughts on that venue? I do not know the course or if it is spectator friendly, parking, etc.?

@aholmes80 SHORT COURSE.

(Yes, I'll be THAT GUY once again.)
  • Coach Raposo
    Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachRaposo
    @aholmes80 No clue. Never been there. LOL!

I just can't believe we're almost in April and we don't have a friggin' clue as to who is really bidding and/or has the best shot at getting it. This will surely shift the way the CC season's schedule is played out. I'm sure most people want to know if there is a viable Pre-State meet and what weekend it would be.
  • Dusty Smith
    Site Admin
    columbiatrack
    Alligator Lake will not put in a bid, we do not have the parking and it is not spectator friendly enough to host the state meet. However I can assure you the length of the course is accurate regardless of what a certain individual may think! When I get dates worked out I will let everyone know when the home meet will be for the Alligator Lake Invitational.
  • Don Howard
    User
    Insider
    CoachHoward
    And so what are we left with? Are we not hearing anything because no on is bidding? What are the most viable options if not LER, Ed Radice, Chain of Lakes, Larry & Penny, FSU? What's left?
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason
    @CoachHoward @aholmes80

I have no idea officially who is bidding this time. But in the past other venues that have been rumored to be interested are: FSU, Daytona Beach Speedway, Disney Wide World of Sports, and I once heard there was a group down in South Florida maybe Coral Springs who was interested.... but I never even heard what that course was.

I doubt Clermont/National Training Center is putting in a bid.

There is one other potential place rumored... Polk County has a spot (in the boonies) between Lake Wales and the Kissimmee River at a "Ranch" where they host mud bog races and such. I was supposed to tour it a few months ago but forgot that day and never made it down so I have no idea what it looks like other than satellite. Parking would be plentiful, but hotels would be a hike.
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason
    @CoachHoward @aholmes80

Also toured Barnett Park in Orlando back in December or so as a potential cross country venue. The county is willing to make some changes to the property make it more suitable and we wheeled out a cross country course there.

I think that course is great for a regional meet...... maybe could host a state meet, but would be a little tight. Not sure if they are putting in a bid though but there was interest.
  • Don Howard
    User
    Insider
    CoachHoward
    @jason

Knew about the Speedway. Thought FSU was a no because of shifting football game day schedule. Would hope we wouldn't be back into the same "money problem" if Disney got it. Talked to a leading figure in Polk county and he wasn't aware of anything at this time. Didn't know about the Orlando park, but love the central location.
  • Adam Cooke
    User
    buzzrunner
    @jason

If I remember correctly, I pointed out the place in Lake Whales (Triple Canopy Ranch) on the last state venue thread. It really is in the middle of the boonies, but hotels should not be too big of an issue, as Winter Haven and Lakeland are within 45 Min. Hotels were not too plentiful in Dade City. Many teams stayed in Lakeland and drove up. Parking is not an issue either, as it hosted thousands for the Warrior Dash the past few years. I really think it should be looked into, because as of the options now, Disney would probably win the bid and you know that means big bucks for the spectators.
  • Andy Holmes
    User
    Insider
    aholmes80
    I thought FSU would not be an option because it is not centrally located. Daytona Speedway does sound intriguing. Disney does not- would be back with the money problem. I know a few years ago Ernie Wever Youth Park near Brooksville put in a bid to host. I think there is plenty of property there, not sure about parking. Our school played our Spring Football game at the complex 2 years ago. I don't see them putting it somewhere that is not in the proximity of the I-4 corridor. Most of the FHSAA State Series events are in central Florida. I know baseball was in Port St. Lucie for a while and football was at the Orange Bowl for a while, so i guess anything is possible
  • Coach Raposo
    Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachRaposo
    jason
    and I once heard there was a group down in South Florida maybe Coral Springs who was interested.... but I never even heard what that course was.

@jason Markham Park was one, South County Regional (Spanish River and Coach Rothman) is the other. Not sure if he's still thinking about it though.
  • Coach
    Insider
    Coach_Loth
    I know the revolving football schedule is always a concern in Tally but from what I understood they were the 2nd place bid last year so I think they must have had a solution of some kind.