flrunners.com/FLYRA Middle School State Championship 2012

• Gary Dixon
    Coach
    PRO
    ohfpygmy
    Why were my two throwers rejected from the meet? They threw in legimate meets here in Sarasota County. The track and field program here in our county for middle schools is run on a shoestring, but the marks are legimate and the athletes should be reinstated. We do not have FAT here with the exception of our championship meet which is to be held in two weeks. Come on, let these athletes throw! My boy is ranked #2 in the state on Athletics.net.

G Dixon
    Throws Coach - Brookside Middle
    Sarasota
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    PRO
    jason
    @ohfpygmy Our rules are quite clear and they are absolute. It says (paraphrased for field events) "We will recognize ANY meet as a qualifier...as long as they...use Hytek or RaceTab software for meet management, and get meet results to flrunners.com"

FAT is required for running events, but obviously is not relevant to field events. But we require that we receive the complete results in Hytek or RaceTab format. We are a state championship meet, so it is not a meet where we just blindly accept seed times. We have been exceedingly clear that we will verify all marks. Without any complete results it can not be verified.

I have personally written RaceTab software which is a free meet management program as an alternative to Hytek, which can be expensive to own and complex to use. So there is no longer really an excuse of meets not being able to do a professional job and produce professional results just because they are on a small budget.

racetab.milesplit.com

We are trying to raise the bar for everyone. But we hold our standards as black and white. If I get complete results from that meet from RaceTab then absolutely will reverse the "reject" but otherwise, sorry that's the standard.

RaceTab

Network for users of RaceTab

• User
    PRO
    plyoman
    Jason I do not know coach Dixon but I did find the results for Peter Larson. I just wanted to help. Here is the link

throwscoachflorida.com/results/2012/Results14April2012.htm

M29&U Discus Throw
    ================================================================
    Name Age Team Finals
    ================================================================
    1 Stockbarger, Westley M26 Unattached 61.39m
    2 Klay, Jacob M18 Unattached 38.63m
    3 Larson, Peter M14 Unattached 36.86m
    6 Grantz, Shamus M11 Unattached 17.43m
    7 Vince, Zak M8 Unattached 17.09m
  • Bill Convey
    User
    PRO
    BConvey
    ohfpygmy
    Why were my two throwers rejected from the meet? They threw in legimate meets here in Sarasota County. The track and field program here in our county for middle schools is run on a shoestring, but the marks are legimate and the athletes should be reinstated. We do not have FAT here with the exception of our championship meet which is to be held in two weeks. Come on, let these athletes throw! My boy is ranked #2 in the state on Athletics.net.

G Dixon
    Throws Coach - Brookside Middle
    Sarasota

@ohfpygmy

We want to give as many chances as we can for athletes to get into State Meet, that is why in addition to accepting meets that have FAT and put results one of the standard formats, there are also several regional qualifiers. We really want the athletes that can qualify to participate. That said, as part of the goal to promote the sport, we want to encourage people putting on meets to release results in accepted formats. It is also a Herculean task for Jason to verify all the entries-- some of which are less than honest. Having things in the correct format helps make this task more manageable. I hope this helps.
  • Pat Crandall
    Coach
    PRO
    gpc3 Edited
    ohfpygmy
    the marks are legimate and the athletes should be reinstated. Come on, let these athletes throw!

I'm always a little amazed when someone thinks Jason is being 'unfair' or that he owes anyone anything. He goes way beyond the call of duty to provide the state a valuable product and if someone doesn't like it, they are free to recreate a meet (or site) in their own image. Biting the hand that feeds the multitudes is not in your best interest. Providing the info he requested is all that needs to be done. Political commentary is not necessary.
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    PRO
    jason
    @ohfpygmy

Thanks a lot, @plyoman and yes that is all I needed. The complete results so that I can verify the performance. Since it's a 29&Under event and features WESTLEY STOCKBARGER!!!! then it is also the heavier implement which makes the throw even bigger on the middle school weight.

Like most of you realize... not trying to exclude anyone. Just trying to raise the bar in this sport. And we have well publicized standards for a reason. Myself, @BConvey and the rest of FLYRA and all that are supporting our mission are trying to provide as many opportunities and make it as simple as possible for kids to get in. But it's not an open meet.
  • Vincent Brooks
    Site Admin
    veb26
    That's a shame that you guys had to go through all this. Your rules are quite simple and clear. I understand the desire to want everyone to compete but like you said, that's why you have the Regional qualifiers. If you can't make the regional qualifier then deal with it. If we were allowed to use dual meet times and distances we would have a million kids competing. I had two meets to use. That's it. One is not even affiliated with my school but I made it work.