This is it! All of the Region races have concluded and we are headed to Tallahassee for the 2018 FHSAA Cross Country State Finals! Let's see who our pollsters rank as the top teams and individuals heading into this year's championship! I personally want to thank our volunteer pollsters for the amazing work they do all season to help add a little something extra to our sport. The amount of hours that goes into creating these rankings all season long can be grueling at times, and it truly is a labor of love. Thank you all and let's see what everyone's predictions are for this weekend!
*Updated to include 3A Boys
GIRLS STATE RANKINGS
1A Girls Rankings
By Sue O'Malley Father Lopez Catholic High School
Team Rankings: Pre-State Rankings
Commentary: Congrats to the following teams on advancing to the state finals on Saturday November 10th.
Region 1: Maclay, Bishop Snyder, St. John's Day, Community Christian (Tallahassee), Providence and Baker Senior High School. Region 2: Oak Hall, Out of door, Canterbury Schools(Fort Meyers), Cardinal Mooney, Indian Rock Christian and Southwestern Florida Christian School. Region 3: Circle Christian, Father Lopez, Holy Trinty, Jupiter Christian, The Geneva School and Mt. Dora Christian Academy. Region 4: Miami Country Day School, The King's Academy, Westminster Christian, Divine Savior, Palmer Trinity and St. John Paull II. Top 10 ranked teams have team averages better than 21:30. Top 6 teams have team averages below 20:34. One team with a team average of under 20:00-Circle Christian. Three teams are ranked in the top 10 from Region 1: Maclay, Bishop Snyder and St. John's day. Region 2 has three also: Oak Hall, Out of door and Canterbury School (Fort Meyers). Region 3 also three: Circle Christian, Father Lopez and Holy Trinity. Miami Country Day is the lone team from Region 4. But Region 1 has all 6 teams ranked in the top 15: Providence 11th, Community Christian School 13th and Baker Senior HS 14th. Way to go Region 1!
"Sweat drops on this course and little black toenails.
Sunshine and 5k on this leaf covered trails,
Bright shiny medals and happiness they bring.
These a few of our favorite things at this state xc meet."
Best wishes to all the teams and individuals who worked so hard for 6 months now to come to the final destination-FSU State Meet. I want to thank the staff of Flrunners for all the wonderful coverage they provided for our xc season and thank you for letting me have fun with the ranking articles. I have awarded each team special award for the season. At our xc banquet I make a special award for all of the athletes because all of them have contributed to the team all season and deserves to be recognizes. These top 15 teams deserve to be recognized too.
Rank. (Previous Rank) School, Region # = Comments
1. (1) Circle Christian = Defending Champions! 19:54 team average. Won their 2nd straight Region title with a team average of 20:24 on the challenging course at Holloway Park. The team had 4 runners in the top 15( 2-5-6-and 9). This team has really raced the "PURRFECT" season. The Centurions will be the favorite to win another title. I am awarding this team the Cat Award for the "Purrfect" season.
2 (2) Oak Hall= Oak Hall=20:06 The Eagles won the Region 2 title with a team average of 20:42 at Sante Fe College. Lauren Jones has really been a great asset to this team. If I had to give this team an award it would be the Toolbox Award because they have all the tools needed to be on the podium. Oak Hall knows what tools it takes to get there.
3. (8) Maclay School= New team average of 20:17 which is over a minute better than the last rankings a week ago! Coach Droze knows how to put a team together for the post season and he did that this past weekend. Maclay won the Region 1 title again. Maclay's award would be the "Run like you Stole it Award. They ran away from their competition for sure. What will they steal this weekend?
4. (3) Father Lopez Catholic High School=20:26 The Green wave team made school history by finishing 2nd to Circle Christian at the Region 3 meet. Their team average was 21:03. The Green wave ladies were led by the 1-2 punch of Mary Peck (3rd) and Claire McDonnell(4th). Their team award is The Jailhouse Award for their breakout year thus far. Let's see if they take way the ball and chain and go for a podium spot.
5. (7) Bishop Snyder= 20:43 New team average by about 45 seconds. Bishop Snyder finished 2nd to Maclay at the Region 1 Meet. Gionna forte won the race for her team. There was no BS this weekend with this team for sure! The hot Tamales would be the award I would give to the cardinals because they are red hot and peaking at the right time!
6. (4) Holy Trinity Academy=20:34 The Tigers placed 3rd in the R3 Meet. Carly McNatt ran a flawless race all by herself to win the title. The Tigers team average at the R3 meet was 21:08. This team had a "Pasta" tivity awesome season! Their award the Pasta Award.
7. (9) Miami Country Day School=21:02 new team average. Miami Country day won the R4 title with this new team average of 21:03. They moved up two spots. Let's see how many more spots they can move this weekend. Their award is the Gatorade award. Thus team is surely thirsty for more!
8. (6) Out of Door Academy= 21:13 new team average by 2 seconds. The Thunder finished 2nd to Oak Hall in the R2. The award for the Thunder is the Tom Tom GPS Award. The Thunder has been on course all season long. Let's see if their GPS can steer them even higher in the rankings this weekend.
9. (5) Canterbury School in Fort Meyers= 21:02 The Cougars prowled their way to a 3rd place finish in the R2 meet. The Cougars had a team average of 21:48 at the R2 meet. The Cougars earn the Taco Award for "Talk About one amazing season!
10. (NR) St. John's Day School =21:24 St, John's Day erupted at the R1 meet. They were not ranked to finish in the top 6 to advance but they ended up 4th in the R1 meet. I am giving them The Volcano Award for erupting at the region meet. Let's see if they can keep the lava flowing this weekend.
11. (11) The King's Academy= 21:13 new team average by 7 seconds. The Lions battled Miami Country Day in R4 and had to finish 2nd to Miami Country Day with their new team average of 21:13. The Checkmate Award to the lions. Who will the Lions checkmate this weekend.
12. (NR) Providence =21:13 The Stallions are back! Did they ride in style this weekend by finishing 3rd in R1 Meet. They receive the Workhorse Award for always working and striving to be the best of show all season long.
13. (NR) Community Christian School (Tallahassee)= 21:33 Where this team has been hiding out is a secret! This team was ranked 30th all season long and propelled into the top 15 by finishing 4th at the R1 Meet and was certainly a surprise in the R1. This team deserves the Mission Impossible Award for advancing to the state meet after being ranked 30th for most of the season. Welcome to the top 15!
14. (13) Baker Senior High School=21:28 New team average by over a minute! Baker finished 5th in R1 to advance. The Baker School receives the Cake award for all the different layers of this team to keep it icing away to the top.
15. (10) Cardinal Mooney=21:54 Cardinal Mooney finished 3rd in the R4 to advance to the state meet. This team receives the Goal Getter Award for setting goals and achieving them all season long to stay in the top 15 which they did.
Commentary: Congrats to all of the young ladies for making it to states. For some it will be a return trip and for others it will be an exciting to adventure. Best wishes to all of you. In the top 15, all girls are under 19:35! The race will definitely be for 2nd with a pack of young ladies that are capable of finishing in the runner-up spot. Circle Christian has two girls in the top 15 along with Father Lopez. Ella Porcher (Maclay) and Sena Erickson (Boca Rotan Christian) are new to the top 15! I gave all the girls Disney princess names.
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade -- School = Comments
1. (1) Carly McNatt, 8-Holy Trinity =17:13.8 Carly won the R3 title with a course record for Holloway Park of 17:23.07. Carly will be the queen of the 1A and probably the queen of all the classes on Saturday! Congrats to coach Sully and the wonderful coaching job he has done with this young lady. Carly's princess name is Merida which means place of honor.
2. (3) Lauren Jones, 7-Oak Hall=18:20 Lauren won R2 with a time of 18:56. Lauren's princess name is Snow white for being young and pure of heart.
3. (4) Gianna Forte, 12-Bishop Snyder= 18:23. New PR set this weekend. Gianna lost the district title and wasn't going to have it happen at the R1 meet. Gianna rana 14 second PR this past Saturday to beat Laci Watford for the Region title. Gianna has a strong chance to be the state runner-up. Gianna is definitely the most improved runner in this group of young ladies. Gianna's princess name is Anastasia which means reborn again and Gianna has been reborn this season for sure.
4. (2) Sinkenesh Parker, 10 -- Circle Christian = 18:27. Sinkenesh finished 2nd to Carly McNatt at the R3 meet with a time of 19:04. Sinkenesh will be one of the front runners this weekend for sure. Sinkenesh's princess name is Nala, who is Sima's love. Nala means successful and this is so true of this young lady.
5. (5) Laci Watford, 9-University Christian School 18:27.8 Laci will be one to watch these next few years. She is a fierce competitor who doesn't back don. Laci finished 2nd to Gianna Forte at the R1 meet. She lost by 4 seconds which tells me it came down to a final sprint to the finish. Laci's princess's name is Mulan for being a beautiful orchid in blossom which Laci is really blossoming into a fine runner.
6. (4) Mary Peck, 9- FLCHS=18:53.1 Mary will also be another rising star these next few years. Mary finished 3rd in the R3 meet has the potential to run with the lead pack this weekend. Mary's princess name is Moana which means ocean. Mary is having fun riding the wave of success this season.
7. (7) Claire McDonnell, 11-FLCHS= 19:02.1 Claire finished a strong 4th at the R3 meet with a time of 20:09. Claire has made great strides from her freshman year and will look for a higher finish than her 10th place last season. Claire's princess name is Rapunzel. Rapunzel means kindness and curiosity. Claire has been a great team mate especially to Mary. They work very good together to being out the best in each one of them and their team mate.
8. (NR) Ella Porcher,8-Maclay=19:07 New PR. Ella ran a huge PR this past weekend at the R1 meet to finish 3rd in the meet. Ella led the Maclay team to the R1 title. Ella's princess name is Auora which means dawn. Ella has really appeared on the scene in this post season and dreaming of the stae meet.
9. (8) Audrey Woods,12-Providence=19:10. It has been a pleasure watching this young lady run the past 4 seasons. Audrey finished 4th at the R1 Meet with a time of 19:44 to lead her team to a 3rd place finish. Audrey's princess name is Tiana. Tiana means great transformation and Audrey has transformed herself to one of the best runners in the state these past 4 year.
10. (9) Mia Rodriguez, 9-The King's Academy=19:13.8. Mia finished 6th at the R4 meet with a time of 20:08. Mia's princess name is Ariel. Ariel means strength and courage and her being on the Lions team the name is so appropriate for this young lady.
11. (10) Jessica Edward, 10-Canterbury School (Fort Meyers)= 19:15.0. Jessica finished 7th in the R2 meet with a time of 20:26. Jessica's princess name is Jasmine which means a Gift from God. Jessica uses her gifts which God has given to her to be the best runner she can be.
12. (11) Callie Friske 12-Calvary Christian (Clearwater)=19:24 Callie finished 5th in R2 met with a time of 20:12. Callie's princess name is Belle. Belle means beauty and Callie has had a beautiful senior year of running.
13. (12) Katie Beam,8-First Baptist Academy=19:24. Katie improved on her 23rd place from a year ago at the region meet to finish 2nd in the R2 meet this year. And she is only an 8th grader. Katie's princess name is Esa from Frozen for being in God's satisfaction especially with her running.
14. (13) Brooke Mcewen, 11 -- Circle Christian 19:33.8 Brooke finished 5th at the R3 meet with a time of 20:22.
Brooke's princess name is Pocahontas. Brooke is a very hard worker and dedicated to her running but she always like to have fun while doing it. Pocahontas means playful.
15. (NR) Sena Erickson,11-Boca Raton Christian School=19:34.6 Sena set a big PR by winning the Region 4 Meet. Welcome to the top 15! By the way are you related to the famous explorer Lief by chance? Sena princess name is Esmeralda which means fun-loving. Don't know this young lady but I can guess she is one fun-loving team mate.
Other individuals to watch out for:
Lauren McGaffic (Miami Country Day School), Archike Parker (Circle Christian), Emma McLaughlin (Tampa Bay HEAT), Kempar Reback (Jupiter Christian), Abigail Rashid (Florida Christian School), and Rachel Hodes (Miami Country Day)
2A Girls State Rankings
By: Ryan Raposo, Gulliver Prep / St. Thomas University, email@example.com
Commentary: Looking toward the final State Rankings, all 24 of the teams selected in the Region Rankings were spot on. And based on the results from each Region meet and how teams faired compared to their District team averages, it appears that Region 2 and Region 4 were fast, Region 1 was extra fast, and Region 3 was slow. A couple of teams did have great performances and jumped a few places (Calvary and South Walton), but considering that most of the team rankings haven't changed all season, I really don't expect to see many surprises. Good luck to everyone this weekend and let's see how it all plays out!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Team, Region # -- Comments
1. (1) Bolles, R1 #1 -- 19:05, 30s drop from District -- Bolles is headed in as the favorite this year after a very strong and consistent season. They have the pack and the depth and should be able to edge Pine Crest who is back at full force.
2. (2) Pine Crest, R4 #1 -- 18:57, 49s drop from District -- Although PC has the team average advantage, the stagger from their top two won't be enough to push out Bolles. Their 3-4-5 would have to break into the Bolles pack to earn the win.
3. (3) Montverde Academy, R2 #1 -- 19:18, 31s drop from District
4. (4) Trinity Prep, R2 #2 -- 19:28, 28s drop from District
5. (6) Rockledge, R4 #2 -- 19:37, 5s add from District
6. (5) Citrus Park Christian, R3 #1 -- 20:33, 25s add from District
7. (7) Titusville, R4 #3 -- 19:52, 4s drop from District
8. (12) Calvary Christian Academy, R4 #4 -- 20:05, 1:29 drop from District
9. (9) St. Brendan, R4 #5 -- 20:32, 34s drop from District
10. (8) Satellite, R4 #6 -- 20:42, 3s add from District
11. (10) Berkeley Prep, R3 #2 -- 21:23, 33s add from District
12. (11) Academy of Holy Names, R3 #3 -- 21:19, 15s add from District
13. (13) Bishop Verot, R3 #4 -- 21:35, 22s add from District
14. (20) South Walton, R1 #2 -- 20:35, 52s drop from District
15. (18) Bishop Kenny, R1 #3 -- 20:41, 1:12 drop from District
16. (16) Episcopal, R1 #4 -- 21:06, 24s drop from District
17. (17) The Villages, R2 #3 -- 21:20, 19s drop from District
18. (14) Citrus, R2 #4 -- 21:39, 22s add from District
19. (19) West Florida Tech, R1 #5 -- 21:17, 8s drop from District
20. (21) Nature Coast, R2 #5 -- 21:42, 9s drop from District
21. (15) Tavares, R2 #6 -- 22:00, 34s add from District
22. (22) McKeel, R3 #5 -- 22:14, 7s drop from District
23. (24) Pensacola Catholic, R1 #6 -- 21:38, 55s drop from District
24. (23) Frostproof, R3 #6 -- 22:42, 6s add from District
Commentary: The top group has stayed very similar the whole year and many of these girls in the top 15-20 are interchangeable once you get outside the top 3-4. However, there shouldn't be too many big surprises jumping into the top 10 that we haven't seen all season long. Most of the girls are strictly ranked by Region times, although there is a slight adjustment based on race conditions. I also kept Tsion as the favorite based on her amazing season of accomplishments. Good luck everyone!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade -- Team = Time, Region Finish
1. (1) Tsion Yared, 11 -- Pine Crest = 17:49, Region 4 Champ
2. (2) Rebecca Clark, 12 -- The Villages = 17:47, Region 2 Champ
3. (3) Lily Henne, 9 -- Montverde Academy = 18:04, Region 2 Runner-up
4. (4) Emily Faulhaber, 11 -- Pine Crest = 18:07, Region 4 Runner-up
5. (8) Eleanor Tymorek, 10 -- Saint Andrew's = 18:10, Region 4 Third
6. (15) Audrey McAnally, 11 -- Trinity Prep = 18:36, Region 2 Third
7. (13) Megan Hughes, 11 -- Academy of Holy Names = 18:50, Region 3 Champ
8. (9) Natalie Varela, 11 -- Gulliver Prep = 18:42, Region 4 Fourth
9. (6) Billie Castillo, 11 -- Titusville = 18:45, Region 4 Fifth
10. (10) Paige Jaszczak, 9 -- Titusville = 18:57, Region 4 Sixth
11. (7) Kendyl Cardwell, 10 -- Montverde Academy = 18:58, Region 2 Fourth
12. (12) Magnolia Lake, 12 -- Rockledge = 18:59, Region 4 Seventh
13. (BOLO) Riley Jaszczak, 9 -- Titusville = 19:00, Region 4 Eighth
14. (BOLO) Maeve O'Riordan, 12 -- Bolles = 18:51, Region 1 Champ
15. (BOLO) Helena Kummings, 11 -- Bolles = 18:53, Region 1 Runner-up
16. (BOLO) Maxine Montoya, 10 -- Bolles = 18:53, Region 1 Third
17. (BOLO) Elizabeth Csikai, 8 -- Bolles = 18:57, Region 1 Fourth
18. (14) Emily Vargas, 11 -- Avon Park = 19:10, Region 3 Runner-up
19. (5) Jacqueline Abanses, 10 -- Citrus Park Christian = 19:17, Region 3 Third
20. (NR) Ryleigh Sperry, 9 -- Montverde Academy = 19:10, Region 2 Fifth
Other individuals to watch out for:
(11) Margaret Ward, 12 -- Rockledge = 19:15, Region 4 Ninth
(NR) Sydnee Calder, Fernandina Beach, 9 = 19:05, Region 1 Fifth
(BOLO) Skylar Grant, 11 -- West Florida Tech = 19:12, Region 1 Sixth
(NR) Lydia Szakacs, 11 -- Saint Andrew's = 19:19, Region 4, Tenth
(NR) Madison Munroe, 9 -- Ransom Everglades = 19:19, Region 4 Eleventh
3A State Meet Girls Rankings
By: Steve Farnsworth, Lecanto HS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: The rankings are now based on times and performances at the four regional meets. South Fork HS is a known average course, the Farm course seemed to have fixed the problems from an earlier meet, and the Lecanto HS course, which can run slowish due to its hills, did not seem to do so on Saturday. Times from the Region 2, 3, and 4 meets will be taken at face value and no adjustments will be made. The Region 1 New World Golf course, for some unknown reason, ran very fast three weeks ago and did so again on Saturday. Forty seconds will be added to Region 1 times to make them comparable to those from the other three regions. Team averages are given for reference only and are not the only basis for rankings, and do not follow them completely -- course conditions, head to head competition, and team depth is also considered.
Rank, (Previous Rank), Team, Region, Team Average/Comments
1. (1) Chiles, 1, 18:39 (+40). Region 1 champs, the Timberwolves have still looked a little sluggish in their district and regional races, but that may have been by design. Expect them to run all out for the top spot on a state meet held on their home course. Their only weakness is an inconsistent No. 5 runner -- if she has a good meet, Chiles is essentially unbeatable.
2. (2) Creekside, 1, 18:49 (+40). Region 1 runners-ups, the Knights have been closing the gap on Chiles, but still have a No. 5 runner that has not broken 20 minutes. She will have to break that mark and have a really good meet for the Knights to have any chance of catching the Timberwolves.
3. (3) Osceola (Seminole), 3, 19:31. The Warriors won Region 3 and are pretty solid for the third spot. They do not have strong enough four and five runners to challenge Chiles and Creekside.
4. (11) Harmony, 2, 20:08. The Longhorns, helped by the return of Vanessa Bolen, went out hard and held on for the surprise win in Region 2. They have shown that they can run on slower, tougher courses.
5. (5) Naples, 3, 20:13. The Eagles were Region 3 runners-ups and have run well all year long.
6. (10) Ocala Vanguard, 2, 20:18. The Knights ran very well taking second in the Region 2 meet.
7. (7) Sunlake, 2, 20:11. The Seahawks finished a disappointing third in the Region 2 meet, and have raised questions about their ability to run tougher courses on the road.
8. (8) Ft. Myers, 3, 20:25. The Green Wave will remain a top-ten team, but doesn't have the top runners needed to carry them higher.
9. (4) Ponte Vedra, 1, 19:53 (+40). The Sharks only matched their district performance and were jumped over by teams having stronger regional performances.
10. (12) Niceville, 1, 19:56 (+40). The Eagles have continued to improve and could move higher.
11. (NR) Leon, 1, 19:49 (+40). The Lions, facing elimination at Region 1, ran the race of their lives taking third overall. It's not clear if they can repeat that performance at state.
12. (22) Dillard, 4, 20:22. The Panthers were the big surprise of Region 4, upsetting top-ranked Viera. They may be set up for a bit of a letdown at State.
13. (17) Robinson, 3, 20:36. After several lackluster meets, the Knights returned to form and took fourth in Region 3.
14. (6) St. Augustine, 1, 20:02 (+40). The Yellowjackets didn't beat their District performance and have slipped back in the rankings.
15. (13) Charlotte, 3, 20:48. The Tarpons improved on their district performance, but not as much as other teams.
16. (14) Cape Coral, 3, 20:42. The Seahawks also face the paradox of running better but getting leap-frogged by teams that improved more.
17. (9) Viera, 4, 20:53. The Hawks did not have a good Region 4 meet and were upset for the title by Dillard. They hope to rebound at State.
18. (15) Gainesville, 2, 21:07. The Hurricanes took fourth, as expected, in Region 2.
19. (16) South Fork, 4, 21:15. The Bulldogs did not get that much of a boost from running on their home course and took third in the Region 4 meet.
20. (21) Matanzas, 2, 21:28. The Pirates placed fifth in the Region 2 meet, as expected.
21. (20) Miami Northwestern, 4, 21:53. The Bulls did not get a big boost from running outside of Miami-Dade, and finished fourth in Region 4.
22. (NR) New Smyrna Beach, 2, 22:06. The Barracudas took the sixth spot in Region 2, but weak four and five runners will limit them from moving higher.
23. (24) Jensen Beach, 4, 22:27. The Falcons finished fifth in Region 4.
24. (23) West Shore, 4, 22:46. The Wildcats should be happy that they made it to the state meet and not expect much more than that.
Commentary: In overview, the state meet will likely be a battle of running styles. The front runners -- Valerie Lastra, Parker Valby, Ani Veltcheva, and maybe Kambry Smith and Natalie Abernathy -- will go out hard and challenge the rest to go with them. A chase pack led by the Chiles and Creekside girls and Taylor Stone -- will stay within striking distance until the end of the first hill ascent and then begin reeling in the front runners. If the chase pack catches the front runners by the end of the second hill ascent, they will take the top spots. If the front runners can hold them off, they will claim the top spots. The regional meet times and the course adjustments are being used in the same way as in the team rankings. The regional meet time is listed, but is not the sole factor in rankings - head to head competition, and consistency in times is also considered.
Rank, (Previous Rank) Name, Grade, Team, Region time / Comments
1. (2) Parker Valby, 11, East Lake, 17:39. Gets the top spot based on her better winning time in the Region 3 meet, but it's not a large or secure lead.
2. (1) Valerie Lastra, 11, Mater Academy, 17:51. Won Region 4 by nearly two minutes and probably could have run faster if pushed.
3. (8) Ani Veltcheva, 9, Gainesville, 17:54. Took Region 2 title by going out hard and opening a big lead and then hanging on for the victory.
4. (3) Liina Winborn, 11, Sunlake, 18:03. Region 2 runner-up ran surprising well on the tough Lecanto course.
5. (6) Natalie Abernathy, 12, Land O'Lakes, 18:15. Finished third in Region 2 behind two very good runners.
6. (4) Claire Openshaw, 11, Creekside, 17:53 (+40). Region 1 champ ran on an apparently very fast course.
7. (5) Taylor Stone, 10, Osceola (Seminole), 18:29. Region 3 runner-up was out-run by Parker Valby.
8. (13) Elizabeth Iliff, 10, Creekside, 17:55 (+40). Region 1 runner-up had a breakout race even with an adjusted time.
9. (9) Caitlyn Wilkey, 11, Chiles, 18:29 (+40). Gets this ranking based not on her regional time, but on her overall seasonal performance.
10. (16) Cheyenne Young, 12, Cape Coral, 18:39. Bounced back to take third in Region 3 after several off meets.
11. (14) Kambry Smith, 10, Ft. Walton Beach, 18:10 (+40). Finished third in the Region 1 meet.
12. (7) Emily Culley, 12, Chiles, 18:41 (+40). Did not run well in the Region 1 meet, but will likely run much better on her home course.
13. (12) Erica Fisher, 12, Pace. 18:15 (+40). Took fourth in the Region 1 meet on a very fast course.
14. (10) Isabella Coogan, 12, Port Charlotte, 18:57. Placed fourth in the Region 3 meet.
15. (17) Lillian Holtery, 10, Niceville, 18:25 (+40). Finished fifth in Region 1 meet and could go higher at state.
16. (11) Alyson Churchill, 11, Chiles, 18:32 (+40). Claimed seventh in the Region 1 meet.
17. (20) Hannah Spooneybarger, 12, Gulf Breeze, 18:34 (+40). Took eighth in Region 1 on a very fast course.
18. (18) Andrea Ballestero, 9, Osceola (Seminole), 19:19. Placed fifth in the Region 3 meet.
19. (22) Abby Schrobilgen, 12, Chiles, 18:42 (+40). Took tenth place in the Region 1 meet.
20. (NR) Allison Hicks, 12, Harmony, 19:36. Fourth-place finisher in the Region 2 meet.
21. (25) Zoe D'Antonio 10, Naples, 19:29. Finished sixth in the Region 3 race.
22. (NR) Lindsay James, 10, Chiles, 18:51 (+40). Gets back into the rankings with nice run at Region 1 meet.
23. (NR) Shannon Gordy, 10, Sunlake, 19:31. Returns to rankings with fifth-place finish in Region 2.
24. (NR) Avery Calabro, 10, Leon, 18:53 (+40). Moves back into rankings with great run at Region 1 meet.
25. (24) Drew Safko, 12, Osceola (Seminole), 19:34. Finished sixth in the Region 3 meet.
On the Bubble:
Mykenzee Marshall, 12, Ocala Vanguard, 19:34. Got nice PR placing sixth at the Region 2 meet.
Christiana Coleman, 7, Dillard, 19:34. Region 4 runner-up had breakout race.
4A Girls Rankings
by Paul Opitz, Sarasota Riverview HS, email@example.com
Commentary: Should be close race between 3 teams, just like the 2011 state race between HB Plant 73, Ferguson 75, and St Thomas 77; that was epic. It is very difficult to pick against The Legend and Plant, but I am going with…
Rank. School -- Comments
1. Lake Brantlely - Region 1 champs led by Klingenberg, Stevens, Hyde and improving Miller and Powel could capture 1st state title in twenty years.
2. HB Plant - Region 2 champs, real good chance of winning Sat.led by Mano, Rubin sisters and of course the Eudaly sisters
3. Winter Springs - Region 1 3rd ,what a trio M Czurak and Elayna Bahr multiple times under 19 and super fast Caroline Wells 19:07 at regionals
4 more close teams in spots 4-8
4. Newsome - Region 2 3rd Keleigh Scallon tough racer, nice pack running with the rest of her team
5. Sarasota - Region 2 runner-up, running really good at the right time
6. George Jenkins - qualified for the state race, without their top runner, true definition of a team effort, great job ladies
7. G Holmes Braddock - Region 4 champs, made coach Shaw proud
8. Fleming Island - Region 1 runner-up, young team, should be good for years
9. Wharton - Region 2 4th, another team peaking for the state meet
10. OLLA - Region 4 runner-up, too low?
11. Oveido - Reg 1 4th, surprise team of the year
12. Steinbrenner -- Region 2 LADD'S Ladies are ready, led by seniors, Sarah Magee and Alexandra Straumann
13. Winter Park - Region 1 5th, I'm sure they will be back, near the top, next year
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade School - Comments
1. (2) Alysaa Hendrix, 11 Riverview - Looking strong on sat with a win in a awesome time of 17:36 for the region 2 title, and course knowledge of Tallahassee, going for her 1st CC state championship
2. (8) Ashley Klingenberg, 11 Lake Brantley - 18:32, Reg 1 runner up, just impressive all year.
3. (5) Rylee Pustilink, 11 Spanish River - 18:07, Reg 3 winner due to break 18
4. (4) Cadi Rowe, 12 Lake Minneola - 18:41 Reg 1 3rd place ,close race with Ashley K at the West Orange.
5. (3) Amber Schulz, 09 Timber Creek - 18:20 Reg 1 winner
6. (1) Mary Ellen, 09 HB Plant - 18:14 Reg 2 runner up, holds victory over Alyssa Hendrix
7. (7) Elayna Bahr, 11 Winter Springs - 18:58, Reg 1 7th place
8. (9) Caroline Lehman, 09 Manatee - 18:20 Reg 2 3rd place, school record holder great season
9. (12) Pia Beaulieu, 10 Boca Raton - 18:39 Reg 3 2nd place, has a victory over Rylee P
10. (NR) Keleigh Scallon, 10 Newsome - Reg 2 4th 18:46
11. (13) Rebecca Bergnes, 11 G Holmes Braddock - Reg 4 runner up, pr under 19
12. (11) Mackenzie Czurak, 11 Winter Springs - Reg 1 4th 18:44
13. (NR) Jordan Shapiro, 11 Miami Palmetto - Reg 4 champ
14. (6) Mya Bodrato, 10 Lake Mary - Reg 1 5th 18:48
15. (10) Alicia Ruiz, 10 George Jenkins - could finish higher,stay hydrated,glad you are feeling better.
16. Mei Chiang, 09 Fleming Island - Reg 1 8th 19:04
17. (NR) Jordan Stevens, 12 Lake Brantley - Reg 1 12th
18. (15) Alexandra Straumann, 12 Steinbrenner - Reg 2 6th 19:06, has gone under 19 this year
19. (NR) Caroline Wells, 09 Winter Springs - Reg 1 9th 19:07
20. (NR) Isabella Jester, 12 Sarasota - Reg 2
21. (NR) Anna Senter, 11 George Jenkins - Reg 2 7th 19:13
22. (NR) Olivia Mano, 11 HB Plant - Reg 2 9th 19:22
23. (14) Chloe Hyde, 12 Lake Brantley
24. (NR) Emma Noel, 10 Winter Park - Reg 1 11th 19:14, pr under 19
25. (NR) Arlie Rubin, 09 HB Plant - Reg 2 10th 19:24
26. (NR) Ariana Jimnez, 11 Apopka - Reg 1 10th 19:10
27. (NR) Sammantha Gayton, 11 Spruce Creek - Reg 1 14th 19:33
28. (NR) Alana Batistia, 11 OLLA - Reg 1 7th
29. (NR) Jeanne Davis, 10 Oviedo - Reg 1 13th 19:29
30. (NR) Kasumi Wade, 10 Sarasota - Reg 2 14th 19:29
31. (NR) Emma Solis, 11 Newsome
32. (NR) Melissa Weber, 09 Manatee - Reg 2 8th 19:20
BOYS STATE RANKINGS
1A Boys Rankings
by 1A Pollster, Ghost Writer HS - firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: STATE WEEK!!!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Team -- Comments
1. (1) Mt. Dora Christian - sit where they have all season comfortably at #1 with a team average of 16:51 (only team under 17:00) easy win in Region
2. (2) Seffner Christian - strong showing to win Region 2. Have the best top 4 in the State. If 5th man could rally at State they could scare Mt. Dora
3. (3) Providence - Strong win in tough Region 1 - dropping team average to 17:17
4. (4) Oak Hall - 2nd in Region 2 to Seffner Christian
5. (7) Pensacola Christian - Strong 2nd Place in Region 1, edging Maclay by 1 point. 17:32 average.
6. (NR) Maclay - Came out of nowhere to place 3rd in Region 1 (no surprise for those that know Gary Droze) Team average of 17:27
7. (5) Admiral Farragut - 3rd Place in Region 2
8. (6) The King's Academy - Cruised to an easy win in Region 4
9. (9) St. Joseph's Academy - Ran great in Region 1, Team average of 17:40.
10. (8) St Johns Country Day School - Placed 3rd in tough Region 1. Team average of 17:23
11. (14) Trinity Christian - Nabbed the 6th and final spot in Region 1, edging Bishop Snyder and lowering their team average to 17:57
Commentary: 20 boys have now run 16:47 or better on the season! Probably gonna take 16:30 to make the podium (top 10) at State. Also, 11 boys teams have a team average under 18:00. SEE YOU ALL IN TALLAHASSEE!!
Rank (Previous Rank) - Name, Grade -- School - Comments
1. (1) Gabriel Curtis - 12 - Mt. Dora - 15:28 - clear state favorite
2. (7) Junius Brown IV - 12 - Maclay - 15:46
3. (5) Ben Kailes - 12 - St Johns Country Day - 15:58
4. (2) Austin Montini - 10 - Oak Hall - 15:59
5. (4) Joseph Anderton - 11 - South Florida HEAT - 16:06
6. (NR) Jonathan Pitchford - 11 - Marathon - 16:09
7. (3) John McKenzie - 11 - Seffner Christian - 16:14
8. (14) Aydan Child - 12 - Admiral Farragut - 16:27
9. (6) Ted Twyman - 12 - The Benjamin School - 16:28
10. (11) Steven Cartwright - 9 - Providence - 16:29
11. (8) Paul McKenzie - 11 - Seffner Christian - 16:30
12. (NR) Xander Peacock - 11 - Blountstown - 16:31
13. (13) Matthew Stratton - 9 - St Johns Country Day - 16:32
14. (9) Jackson Pruim - 12 - Mt. Dora - 16:33
15. (12) Phillip Henderson. - 11 - Admiral Farragut - 16:36
16. (NR) Julian Rashid - 12 - Florida Christian - 16:38
17. (10) Alex Fiorillo - 12 - Admiral Farragut - 16:39
18. (NR) David Keen - 11 - North Florida Christian - 16:43
19. (NR) Seth Martinez - 11 - Lakeland Christian - 16:45
20. (15) Mitchell Curtis - 10 - Mt Dora Christian - 16:47
2A Boys Rankings
by Carlos Maymi, St. Brendan / St. Thomas University, email@example.com
Rank. (Previous Rank) Team- Comments
1. (1) Bolles HS- With another perfect score at regionals, the bulldogs are the heavy favorite's to be crowned at Apalachee Regional Park.
2. (2) Satellite High School- Coming off a 3 meet hot streak of wins, satellite is the only team I see coming as runners up's.
3. (3) Bishop Kenny HS - With no district or regional titles to their name this season, I still believe that Bishop Kenny will come 3rd. In the past Coach Curran has proved that he is very good at peaking his athletes, I see this year to be no different. The first 2 teams in this division are pretty much set but i believe that a run for 3rd place could be any of the next 5 schools.
4. (4) Fernandina Beach HS - This was a very difficult decision, Fernandina are the region 1 runner up's, with that in mind I still believe that they will come in 4th due to Bishop Kenny's splits and Fernandina's lack of a 5th runner, if any of their 5-7 can step up big time they can essentially take down Bishop Kenny.
5. (6) Lake Highland Prep HS - This team is coming from winning region 2, their low 1-5 splits will be a major benefactor that this team will have.
6. (8) Lake Wales HS- Another team who is coming from winning their region and district. This young team is looking very good.
7. (7) Astronaut HS - On paper this team looks very good, with a very close region 4 this team has the potential to come 4th
8. (NR) Key West HS- The unranked Key West making another appearance at the rankings as the season winds down, this team got second to Satellite (2) by only 20 points.
9. (5) Cocoa Beach HS- Dropped in the rankings due to their 5th place at region 4. It was a very close race, they will need help from their 4 and 5 in order to get top 10 at states.
10. (9) Pine Crest HS- great run at region 4
11. (11) Trinity Prep - Runner up at region 2 trinity prep is just outside the bubble of top 10 at states. Their 1:44 second split could be deadly.
12. (10) Bishop Moore HS- Coming behind Trinity prep (11) at region 2, they looked very good, with a strong pack.
13. (13) Episcopal School of Jacksonville- 4th place in a very tough region.
14.(14) South Walton HS- 5th place at region 1, behind Episcopal School of Jacksonville (13) only behind by one point.
15. (NR) Berkeley Prep HS- runner up at region 3 this team takes the 15th place in the rankings
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Team
1. (1) Charles Hicks, Bolles ( 14:53.07 FL#1, US #19 Course record) Apalachee Regional Park course record might have a new owner on Saturday
2. (2) Chase Rivera, Bolles
3. (4) Troy Smith, Rockledge
4. (3) Gabriel Montague, Satellite
5. (7) Benjamin Foltz, Bolles
6. (5) Gaven O'brien, Astronaut
7. (9) Alexander Hastings, Bolles
8. (6) Justin Wilson, Satellite
9. (10) John Sorensen, Fernandina Beach
10. (8) Jacob Hensley, Citrus
11. (11) Matthew Cummings, Cocoa Beach
12. (NR) Kamren Khan, Bolles
13. (12) John Jessup, Gulf HS
14. (13) William Brady, Bolles
15. (NR) Robert Pedroza, Key West
3A Boys Rankings
by Carl Egbert, Gulf Coast HS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: The time has come for everyone to stop whining about short courses and virtual meets. The 3A studs will settle all bets at 10:25 AM on Saturday at ARP.Rank. Team -- Region. Comments
1. Belen Jesuit -- 3-4. Returning State Champs will repeat this year.
2. Chiles -- 3-1. Chiles won Region 3-1 handily and I see them taking care of business and getting on the podium Saturday.
3. Robinson -- 3-3. Has been racing great all year long but something tells me they will come up a bit short Saturday. Region 3 Champ.
4. Creekside -- 3-1. Creekside beat Chiles early at FlRunners but will fall short of the podium Saturday. 3-1 Region runner up.
5. Bartram Trail -- 3-1 . Region 1 is stacked and this will make 3 of Top 5 teams from Region 1. 3rd @ Region meet
6. Nease -- 3-1. Nease has a potential real low stick which will come in handy Saturday. 5th @ Region meet.
7. Niceville -- 3-1. 4th @ Region meet and will have solid day on Saturday
8. Ponte Vedra -- 3-1. Had a 31 sec spread at Region meet and will come in handy on Saturday.
9. Fort Myers -- 3-3 . Region 3 runner up is coming together when it matters and will crack Top 10.
10. Gulf Coast -- 3-3. Only 5th @ Region meet but will have low stick and will be better Saturday.
11. Estero -- 3-3. Might have the State Champ on the roster and will benefit from low stick. 3rd @ Region Meet.
12. Sunlake -- 3-2. Region 2 Champ with 49 second spread
13. Vanguard -- 3-2 .Region 2 runner up
14. Tampa Jesuit- 3-3. Ran really well at Region 3 meet finishing 4th will a young squad
15. Naples - 3-3 . Naples always runs well at the State Meet and I expect nothing less from this young squad.
Commentary: The team champ maybe a formality but the individual race is wide open. Nobody has dominated this fall as in prior years which leaves it wide open. There is plenty of talent in 3A and should make for a great race. The Top 15 I have provided is more of an eye test of where they have raced and head to head match ups.
Rank. Name -- School. Comments
1. Hugh Brittenham -- Estero. Has had a great fall and easily has the best wheels in the field. He may try to break race open or elect to sit and kick. Plenty of tools in his bag to win this a few ways.
2. Adam Magolous -- Belen Jesuit. Amazing freshman campaign for this young man and it will continue with a hard fought runner up spot Saturday.
3. Aidan O'Gorman. -- New Smyrna Beach 15:43
4. Ethan Geiger -- Robinson 15:56
5. John Bear -- Orange Park 16:03
6. Sebastian Kenne- Stanton Prep 15:48
7. Reinhardt Harrison - Nease 15:46
8. Javier Vento -- Belen Jesuit -- 16:03
9. Parker Woodruff -- St Augustine 16:01
10. Jaken Turner -- Armwood 15:56
11. Nick Kamen -- Gulf Coast 16:04
12. Connor Phillips -- Chiles -- 15:42
13. Justin Tackling -- Nease 15:53
14. Tommy Cardenas -- Mater Academy 16:02
15. Sebastian Roa -- Belen Jesuit 16:08
4A Boys Rankings
by 4A Pollster - email@example.com
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Top 5 avg. PR's / Region Result
1. (1) Sarasota = 16:10 / 1st @ R2 (16:22)
This team made a statement at Regionals placing runners 2 - 5 in 14th - 17th place. It's theirs to lose.
2. (5) Newsome = 16:42 / 2nd @ R2 (16:42)
The Wolves pulled off the stunning upset of Steinbrenner at Regions. Do they have an encore.
3. (2) Steinbrenner = 16:32 / 3rd @ R2 (16:47)
Timing is everything. If the Warriors get 5 good races at the same time they are the biggest threat to the Sailors.
4. (3) Oviedo = 16:06 / 1st @ R1 (16:43)
Great front 3. Can they get a breakout performance from numbers 4 & 5?
5. (6) Plant = 16:49 / 4th @ R2 (16:52)
Panthers have been steadily improving this post season. If they get a 5th runner to join their pack, watch out.
6. (14) West Orange = 16:37 / 2nd @ R1 (16:53)
A late season surge has moved this team into a solid top 10 team.
7. (4) Windermere = 16:37 / 3rd @ R1 (17:01)
Their post-season has not been as successful as the early going. Can they recover their early season magic?
8. (11) Spanish River = 16:58 / 1st @ R3 (17:04)
Easy victory at Regionals may give this team an advantage over teams that got pushed to their limits.
9. (9) Columbus = 17:01 / 1st @ R4 (17:06)
Outstanding victory at Regionals for the Explorers. Is there more where that came from?
10. (NR) St. Cloud = 17:02 / 5th @ R2 (17:03)
Coming on strong when it counts.
11. (7) Wharton = 16:51 / 6th @ R3 (17:09)
Rivers gives them a very low stick up front.
12. (8) St. Thomas Aquinas = 16:44 / 2nd @ R4 (17:25)
Off day at Regionals or saving something? Hmmmm...
13. (13) Lake Mary = 16:40 / 4th @ R1 (17:15)
Number 1 runner in the top 10 always helps.
14. (NR) Buchholz = 16:53 / 5th @ R1 (17:17)
I missed this team qualifying from Regionals in my Pre-Region Rankings. They proved me wrong.
15. (12) Fleming Island = 16:50 / 6th @ R1 (17:25)
Another team that looked promising mid-season. Maybe timing their finish to peak at State?
Other teams to watch for:
(10) Coral Park = 17:21 / 3rd @ R4 (17:29)
(NR) Martin County = 17:17 / 3rd @ R3 (17:18)
(NR) Palm Beach Central = 17:17 / 2nd @ R3 (17:20)
(NR) Jupiter = 17:14 / 4th @ R3 (17:14)
Commentary: My final rankings place a heavy emphasis on the region results.
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade -- School = Season Best / Recent Race
1. (1) Ben Hartvigsen, 12 -- Sarasota HS = 15:08 / 1st R2 @ 15:37
2. (6) Kayamo Galloway, 11 - Oviedo HS = 15:35 / 1st R1 @ 15:55
3. (8) Nehemiah Rivers, 12 - Wharton HS = 15:45 / 2nd R2 @ 15:45
4. (5) Jonathan Reid, 12 - Lakewood Ranch HS = 15:46 / 3rd R2 15:57
5. (4) Michael Fiore, 10 - Ft. Lauderdale HS = 16:05 / 1st R4 @ 16:19
6. (2) Angel Vicioso, 12, - Oviedo HS = 15:34 / 2nd R1 @ 16:08
7. (NR) Logan Kraus, 12 - Melbourne HS = 16:08 / 1st R3 @ 16:08
8. (9) Brady Zimmerman, 12 - George Jenkins HS = 16:05 / 4th R2 @ 16:05
9. (NR) Jake Lockhart, 12 - Lake Mary HS = 16:13 / 3rd R1 @ 16:13
10. (13) Zachary Cloud, 11 - St. Cloud HS = 16:10 / 5th R2 @ 16:10
11. (NR) Nick Miller 12 - West Orange HS - 15:40 / 6th R1 @ 16:20
12. (12) Dominic Acosta, 11 - Newsome HS = 16:37 / 6th R2 @ 16:12
13. (3) Aidan Breslin, 11 - St. Thomas Aquinas HS = 15:53 / 2nd R4 @ 16:28
14. (14) Caden Monk, 12 - Bucholz HS = 15:52 / 4th R1 @ 16:19
15. (NR) Joseph Wester, 10 - Jupiter HS = 16:15 / 2nd R3 @ 16:15
Other individuals to watch:
(NR) Wynne Thomas, 10 - Plant HS = 16:17 / 7th R2 @ 16:17
(NR) Matthew Lyons, 12 - Manatee HS = 16:19 / 8th R2 @ 16:19
(NR) Michael May, 12 - Wekiva HS = 16:19 / 5th R1 @ 16:19
(15) Onix Ortiz, 11 - Windermere HS - 16:15 / 7th R1 @ 16:20
(10) Yonas Sauers, 11 - Alonso HS = 15:41 / 10th R2 @ 16:21
(NR) Ryan Gorman, 12 - Steinbrenner HS = 16:14 / 12th R2 @ 16:28
(NR) Davis Bly, 12 - Steinbrenner HS = 16:27 / 13th R2 @ 16:28
(7) Alan Romero, 12 - Sarasota HS = 16:16 / 14th R2 @ 16:30
- Please remember that all of these rankings are done by volunteer coaches and are meant to increase the overall enjoyment of the sport for athletes, coaches, parents, and fans. They are just for fun and should not have a lot of weight put on them. But if you have issues (such as a missed athlete or team), please email the individual pollster for your classification & gender.
- Please direct any major concerns to Flrunners Power User / FACA Rankings Representative: Ryan Raposo @ firstname.lastname@example.org