Although we're technically already one week into the 2019 cross country season, many teams have yet to debut and that leaves a lot of questions yet to be answered. Instead of leaving it to our imagination to fill in the gaps, here's what this year's pollsters have to say after breaking down early season results and jamborees, analyzing last track season's results, and seeing which squads got in those amazing freshmen or impactful transfers. Before we really get into it, here's a look at this year's Florida Athletic Coaches Association volunteer pollsters, known and anonymous, and the dates all of the rankings will be released.
2019 FACA Pollsters:
1A Girls: Sue O'Malley, Father Lopez Catholic HS, email@example.com (3rd year)
2A Girls: Patrick Skipper, Weeki Wachee HS, firstname.lastname@example.org (1st year)
3A Girls: Ghost Writer, email@example.com (1st year)
4A Girls: Ryan Raposo, Florida National University, firstname.lastname@example.org (12th year overall)
1A Boys: Paul Opitz, Out of Door Academy, email@example.com (4th year overall)
2A Boys: Zach White, Mount Dora Christian Academy, firstname.lastname@example.org (1st year)
3A Boys: Amanda Vereecke, Fort Myers HS, email@example.com (1st year)
4A Boys: Ghost Writer, 4Apollster@gmail.com (2nd year)
And here are the Wednesday dates we are looking to be releasing all of this year's rankings...
1) August 28th (Preseason)
2) September 11th
3) September 25th (Pre-flrunners)
4) October 9th (Pre-FSU / Pre-State)
5) October 23rd (Post-Regular season / Pre-District)
6) October 30th (Pre-Region)
7) November 6th (Pre-State Championship)
A major thank you to all of the countless hours that our pollsters put into these rankings! And without further ado, here are the current FACA Preseason XC State Rankings...
GIRLS STATE RANKINGS
1A Girls Pre-Season Rankings
By Sue O'Malley (FLCHS) firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: The teams are ranked for this first rankings from pre-season classics and the opening Invitationals this past weekend. This next weekend we should have all the teams in full swing for the season. Here are the team pre-season rankings! Teams have dusted off their spikes are ready to toe the starting line for another fantastic season of xc racing!
> The Circle Christian Centurions under their new coach Tyler Jagen, will try and make a 3-peat this season. Tyler is replacing Mark Caufield who is now coaching a powerhouse xc/track team in Georgia. They are definitely the team to beat but on their heels will be the Oak Hall Eagles and the Green Wave ladies trying to go stride and stride with the Centurions. The Dark Horse team to watch for this season will be Cambridge Christian School in Tampa. With Citrus Park Christian closing the girls have transferred to Cambridge Christian. This team will be very tough!
> I want to wish everyone a fantastic season and see you on race day!
> "Your dreams won't come true by themselves. You have to commit to them, work for them, sacrifice for them, then, on the day, produce for them. But you will discover, at the end of that day, regardless of the outcome, it will all have been worth it for all that you have realized and become along the way"
Rank. School = Comments
1. Circle Christian = Defending Champions! The Centurions will be tough to beat with their 1-2 punch of Sinkenesh Parker and Brooke McEwen leading their team. The team has everyone back form one last season so the team has lots of experience. Circle Christian won the Fleet Feet Invitational Saturday with a team average of 20:16. Brooke McEwen won the Cecil field race Friday night. Next up for this team will be the winter Springs Inivtational on 8/31.
2. Oak Hall= Runner-ups last season! The Eagles will be led by sophomore Lauren Jones. The eagles finished 2nd behind Bolles at the Cecil Field race Friday night with a team average of 20:45. The eagles will take a break this weekend and then be flying high at the 9/7 Ocala Horse Park invitational.
3. Father Lopez=Aiming for that podium and definitely a dark horse team. Finished 5th last year at the state meet. Transfer senior, Samantha Gayton from Spruce Creek will add depth to the front of the pack. The green Wave ladies tied with Winter Springs on the tough and hot course this past Saturday at the Jim Ryun Invitational. They ended up with the 2nd place trophy. The Green wave will compete at the Mt. Dora invitational this weekend and then off to Astronaut on the 9/7.
4. Canterbury School (Ft.) Meyers)= 8th last season at the state meet. The Cougars will be led by Junior Jessica Edwards. The Cougars finished 3rd at the Lehigh Lightning Invitational on Saturday. Their team average was 22:35. The Cougars will compete at the DDD Sommer Invitational on 8/31 and Meyers Invite on 9/7.
5. Holy Trinity=3rd last season at the state meet. This team lost their phenom runner, Carly McNatt. Carly transferred to IMG Academy. Carly would have come into the xc season as the number freshman in the US! Coach Sully is a superb coach and will find a way to keep his team up there in the team rankings throughout the season. The team had a team average of 22;48 at the Vierra Invitational on Saturday. Next on tap for the team is Mt. Dora Christian Invitational.
6. Maclay=4th last season at the state meet. The Marauders will be led freshman Ella Porcher. The Mauraders finished 3rd at the Dueling Summit Invitational on Saturday with a team average of 22:40. MaClay will head to the Big Bend invitational this weekend.
7. Lakeland Christian=The Vikings always have a solid team. The Vikings had a solid team average of 23:11 at the Jim Ryun Invitational on Saturday. The Vikings finished 9th at the meet. The Vikings will compete this weekend at the Kowboy Invitational on 8/31 and then at George Whitmire XC Meet on 9/7.
8. South Florida Heat=Freshman Cecily Anderton will this team this season. The Heat finished 7th at the Fleet feet Invitational this Saturday with a team average of 23:11. The Heat's next big Invitational will be 8/31 at the Park Vista Cobra XC Invite and on 9/7 the Kings academy Invitational.
9. St. Joseph Academy=St. Joseph lost their sensational coach Danny Weed this summer. Not sure where this team will end up. I wish this team the best of luck with the new coach. St. Joseph's finished 10th a the Cecil Field Invitational on Friday with a team average of 23:11. Nest weekend the team will travel to Mt. Dora Christian Invitational.
10. Providence=The Stallions are tough throughout the season. The Stallions finished 9th at the Cecil field Invitational on Friday with a team average of 23:58. The Stallions are scheduled to compete 0n 9/6 or 9/7 at the Eagles on the Run or the Falcon 5k.
11. Bishop Snyder=finished 10th last season at the state meet. Lost their phenom runner Gianna Forte to graduation. But Coach Richard does know how to rebuild a program and keep them in the hunt.(Of course he gets all of his training plans form the GOAT with a little help from the man upstairs) The Cardinals finished 8th at their home meet Cecil field on Friday night with a team average of 24:02. The Cardinals are flying into the Golden eagles Invite next weekend 8/31.
12. Bell Creek=The Panthers will be led by Freshman Bella Butler. The team competed on 8/19 at the East Hillsborough Invite for a team average of 22:43.The team will compete this weekend at the Kowboy Invitational.
13. Shorecrest Prep=The Lightning Bolt team knows when to strike on the course and team standings. The team finished 13th at the Jim Ryun Invitational on Saturday with a team average of. 24:35. They will compete this weekend 8/31 at the Kowboy Invitational.
14. Out of the Door Academy=finished 9th last season at the state meet. The Thunder competed at the Jim Ryun Invitational to finish 15th with a team average of 24:41. The Thunder will storm into Labor day 9/2 for the Cross Country Classic in Bradenton.
15. Community School of Naples=The Seahawks finished 11th at the Lehigh Lightning meet this weekend with a team average 24:59. The Seahawks are scheduled to compete this weekend 8/31 at the DD Sommer Invitational and on 9/7 at the Ft. Meyers XC Invite.
Other teams to watch out for:
Cambridge Christian, Miami County Day School, St. John Paul II Academy and The 1st Academy.
Commentary: Here are the pre-season rankings!
Rank. Name, (Grade) - School = Comments
1. Sinkenesh Parker, (11)-Circle Christian= Sinkenesh finished 2nd last year at the state meet. She will be the favorite coming into this season with Carly McNatt gone to IMG. Sinkenesh had a very strong track season winning the 3200 meters in 11:03.
Sinkenesh won the Fleet Feet Invitational on Saturday with a very impressive time of 19:02. She will be exciting to watch this season.
2. Brooke McEwen, (12)-Circle Christian=Brooke has started the season off strong. Brooke won the Cecil Field Invitational with a strong time of 19:44. This young lady has lots of experience and is a fierce competitor. Brooke finished 2nd in the state 3200 this spring right behind her team mate Sinkenesh with a time of 11:13.
3. Laci Watford, (10)-University Christian=Laci is off to a strong start to her season. Laci ran a 20:02 at the Cecil Field Invitational on Friday. Laci finished 4th at the state meet last season and will be a strong contender this season. She also finished 4th at the state 3200 meters in the spring with a superb time of 11:13.
4. Jessica Edwards, (11)-Canterbury Ft. Meyers=Watch out this season for this young lady. She could be the dark horse in this group to win the state title in November. Jessica finished 9th last season at the state meet. Jessica had one fantastic track season. Jessica won the 800 and the 800 meters at the state meet in the spring. This young lady has incredible foot speed.
5. Lauren Jones, (10)-Lauren Jones=Lauren ran a 20:15 at the Cecil field Meet on Friday. Lauren will be a force to be reckon with this fall. Lauren finished 3rd at the state xc meet last November. Lauren finished a strong 3rd at the state track meet in the spring with a time of 11:13 in the 3200 meters.
6. Claire McDonnell, (12)-Father Lopez=Hard to believe this young lady started out with a 25:00 her freshman year and she is a work horse. Claire finished 10th at the state meet in 2017 and 12th last season. Claire ran a 20:16 at the Ron Norris Time Trail two weeks ago. Claire had an outstanding track season. She competed in 4 events at the state meet and ran 6th place time of 11:14 in the 3200 meters.
7. Samantha Gayton, (12)-Father Lopez=Samantha transferred from Spruce Creek to Lopez this summer and a terrific summer of running and bonding with her new team mates. Samantha is very a competitive runner and will add a ton of depth to the Green Wave team. Samantha ran a 20:17 two weeks ago at the Ron Norris Meet. Samantha ran a 19:08 at the state xc meet in the class 4A last fall. Samantha competed this past spring as part of the Creek's 4x800 relay team. I am very excited to see what she is capable of running this fall.
8. Harrison Grooms, (11)-Oak Hall= Harrison ran a Harrison finished 20th last fall at the state meet. She will add the 1-2 punch Oak Hall will use to help get to the podium.
9. Archike Parker, (11)-Circle Christian=Archike no stranger to the state series scene. She will add the depth CC will need to win a 3-peat title. Archike is off and running strong with a 20:37 at the Fleet Feet Invitational this past Saturday.
10. Cecily Anderton, (9)-South Florida Heat=This young lady maybe one the teams need to watch! Cecily didn't compete last season at the state meet and all-ready making some heat in the rankings. Cecily ran a 20:45 a the Fleet Feet invitational on Saturday. Let's see how much heat she can put on the rankings.
11. Mary Peck, (10)-Father Lopez=Mary had one incredible xc season last fall. Mary finished 6th last season with a new school record time of 18:51. Mary could be a dark horse runner this season. Mary finished 10th at the Jim Ryun Invitational this past Saturday with a time of 20:47.
12. Amber Lopez. (11)-St. John Paul II Academy=Amber ran a strong 20:18 at the Fleet Feet this past Saturday. Amber finished 31st at the state meet last November with a time of 20:18. Watch for Amber to place even higher this season.
13. Ella Porcher, (9)-McClay=Watch out for this young lady! Ella finished 8th at the state meet last fall as an 8th grader and 2nd in the 1600 meters this spring at the state meet. Ella has a lot of foot speed! Ella will help lead the McClay team to a top 5 finish at the state meet for sure. Ella ran a 20:51 at the Dueling Summit Invite this past Saturday.
14. Anagrace Fagot, (10)-Circle Christian-Anagrace ran a 20:55 at the Fleet Feet meet on Saturday. She is circle Christian's 4th girl in the top 15 rankings this week. Very impressive team to have 4 girls all-ready in the top 15!
15. Gabby Auliso. (11)-Oak Hall= Gabby ran a 21:02 at Cecil field on Friday. Gabby is Oak Hall's third girl in the top 15 rankings for this week.
Other individuals to watch out for:
Sydney Miller-Oak Hall, Grace DeJesus-Circle Christian, Ally Means-Oak hall, Isabelle Crist-1st Academy, Lydia Friedman, Moriah Friedman and Lydie Mayer-Cambridge Christian
2A Girls Pre-Season Rankings
by Patrick Skipper, Weeki Wachee High School (email@example.com)
Commentary: Maybe the hardest thing I have done in a while...if you did not run this past weekend, I did not put you in the rankings...Plenty of time to work your way in...and out!! Here are the team state rankings!
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Comments
1. Bolles = If you want to 'Be the Man' - you have to 'Beat the Man'
2. Pine Crest = Poised to 'Beat the Man'
3. Montverde Academy = Solid contender
4. Trinity Prep = Always in the mix
5. Satellite HS = Like "The Jefferson's" Moving On Up!
6. Bishop Kenny
7. Titusville HS
8. Bishop Verot
9. The King's Academy
10. Carrolton School
Other teams to watch out for:
Academy of Holy Names
Commentary: Here are the individual state rankings!
Rank. Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. Tsion Yared, 12 - Pine Crest
2. Lily Henne , 10 - Montverde
3. Emily Faulhaber, 12 - Pine Crest
4. Megan Hughes, 12 - Academy of Holy Names
5. Billie Castillo, 12 - Titusville HS
6. Kendyl Cardwell, 11 - Montverde Academy
7. Riley Jaszczak, 10 - Titusville HS
8. Elizabeth Csikai, 9 - Bolles
9. Maxine Montoya, 11 - Bolles
10. Avery Fronrath, 8 - The King's Academy
Other individuals to watch out for:
Emily Vargas, 12 - Avon Park
Audrey McNally, 12 - Trinity Prep
Natalie Varela, 12 - Gulliver Prep
Ellie Tymorek, 11 - Saint Andrews
Anyone with a Bolles Jersey
3A Girls Pre-Season Rankings
By Ghost Writer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: The 2019 season is here! Many teams raced over the last two weeks (preseason and week 1); however, many teams did not. Also, some teams competed at shorter courses (intentional and accidental). Previous Rank is based on ranking at the conclusion of the 2018 XC season, after new classification realignment. Looking forward to the next couple weeks to see teams really dig their heels in and show their worth! In the meantime, everyone needs to do their hurricane dance!
Rank. (Previous Rank) School- Comments
1. (8) Sunlake HS- Strong opening performance, 20:36 average; 3200m team ranks #3 in 3A
2. (12) Dillard HS- Solid showing at the Fleet Feet Invitational; pack running!
3. (1) Winter Springs HS- Switched to 3A at the right time! Looking to take advantage with a #4 transfer.
4. (3) St. Augustine HS- Close the gap from 3-4...keep your eyes on the prize ladies.
5. (NR) Estero HS- Showed solid improvement at Lehigh vs. same meet last year!
6. (4) Naples HS- Very nice1-5 split of 1:07.6!
7. (5) Ft. Walton Beach HS- Competed at the Buccaneer Invasion (2.9X course); will see what week 2 brings.
8. (6) Osceola (Seminole)- Focus on 1-5 split to see improvement
9. (2) Ft. Myers HS- Missing 2 runners in week 1; Always in the hunt for a podium finish!
10. (13) South Fork HS- Missing 2 runners at FFI; 3200m team ranks 4th in 3A, so we could see some movement in the coming weeks.
11. (NR) Mater Academy- Anything is possible with Coach Parker; can't wait to see their first meet as a team.12. (7) Harmony HS- No meet in week 1
13. (NR) Cape Coral- Best 1-5 split in the state! 45.8 seconds!
14. (10) Leon- Competed at Dueling Summits
15. (NR) Braden River- Competed at Jim Ryun
Other teams to watch out for:
Choctawhatchee HS, Mitchell HS, Rockledge HS, Lely HS, Palmetto Ridge
Commentary: Anything can happen at this point! Using last year's performances, preseason and week 1 performances...these young ladies have been putting hard work in during the summer months!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (1) Valerie Lastra, 12- Mater Academy = Defending State Champion! No race during week 1.
2. (3) Liina Winborn, 12- Sunlake HS = Fastest time out of the gate in 3A, with a 19:03.50
3. (8) Caroline Wells, 10- Winter Springs HS = 19:24.8 to best Taylor Stone at Jim Ryan
4. (2) Taylor Stone, 12- Osceola HS = 20:17.90 at Jim Ryan; 17:34.3 PR last season
5. (3) Ani Veltcheva, 10- Gainesville HS = no race week 1; 17:46 PR last season
6. (NR) Reilly Barber, 10- St. Augustine HS = Excellent performance at Spike & Spurs in 19:19
7. (6) Kambry Smith, 11- Ft. Walton Beach HS = 18:10.6 PR last season
8. (10) Lauren Jorgensen 11- Gulf Breeze HS = 18:55.04 PR last season
9. (NR) Meadow Millett, 11- Mitchell HS = 19:45.6 at Jim Ryan
10. (5) Elayna Bahr, 12- Winter Springs HS = 20:03.80 at Jim Ryan
11. (9) Avery Calabro, 11- Leon HS = 20:26 at Dueling Summits
12. (17) Madison Niederriter, 12- St. Augustine HS = 19:40.2 at Spikes and Spurs
13. (7) Mackenzie Czurak, 12- Winter Springs HS = 18:20.7 PR last season
14. (15) Stephy Ormsby, 12- Ft. Myers HS = 20:00 at Lemon Bay
15. (19) Shannon Gordy, 11- Sunlake HS = 20:11 at Whispering Pines
16. (13) Christiana Coleman, 8- Dillard HS = 20:09 at FFI
17. (NR) Ashley Fitzgerald, 8- American Heritage HS = 20:11 at FFI
18. (28) Hannah Martin, 12- South Fork HS = 20:20 at FFI
19. (21) Sarah Schultz, 12- Ft. Myers HS = did not race week 1
20. (25) Kamari Dawn, 11- Rockledge HS = 20:25 at Wickham
Other individuals to watch out for:
Jensen Shonk, Ft. Walton Beach HS
Andrea Ballestero, Osceola HS
Josephine Gregory, Pace HS
Brooke Mullins, Harmony HS
Zoe D'Antonio, Naples HS
Emma Powell, Winter Springs HS
Mia Perez, Estero HS
4A Girls Pre-Season Rankings
by Ryan Raposo, Florida National University, email@example.com
Commentary: It's been a few years since I've done the 4A Girls Rankings, but I'm here to help out as this season if one of our pollsters gets backed up. There have been a few noticeable shifts due to the FHSAA reclassifications including the loss of Winter Springs to 3A, but more impactful is the jump by last year's top two 3A podium teams Chiles and Creekside. Look at them to make an immediate impact for both individuals and teams as they looking to shift all of last year's top 4A teams down a couple of notches. If there is any information I am missing, please shoot me an email. Lastly, the big meet to watch this week is the Babe Zacharias Twilight Challenge in which four of the top squads listed below should be going head to head.
Rank. (Previous Rank) School, Region = Comments
1. (NR) Creekside, R1 = Returning six girls from last year's 3A State Runner-up squad, the Knights opened their season as runner-up at Spikes and Spurs this weekend without their returning #1-4-6-7. They ran a 20:33 team average with a 2:04 spread, and their returning #8 currently running as #3.
2. (NR) Chiles, R1 = Returning four girls from last year's 3A State Championship squad, the senior heavy Timberwolves squad won Dueling Summits this weekend without their returning #1-3-7. They ran a 21:25 team average with a very large 3:56 spread, and their returning #9 currently running as #4.
3. (NR) HB Plant, R2 = The defending 4A State Champion Panthers have yet to debut and they have a hard road ahead to top the podium once again after the new classification shift. However, if anyone has a chance, it's Coach Harrison who returns his entire varsity from last season. They open at Babe Zaharias this week.
4. (NR) Sarasota, R2 = Returning six from last year's 4A State Runner-up, graduating their #1, these sailors have also yet to debut and will also look at open up at Babe Zaharias this week.
5. (NR) Newsome, R2 = Returning six from last year's 4A State Championship 3rd place, these Wolves ate up the competition at East Hillsborough this weekend. They picked up the big win running a 21:19 team average and a 2:32 spread, with their returning #8 currently running as #4. They'll too be at Babe Zacharias.
6. (NR) Fleming Island, R1 = Returning their entire varsity from last year's 4A State Championship 8th place finish. The Golden Eagles won the Spikes and Spurs Classics this weekend with a tight 1:06 pack, a 20:43 team average, and without their returning #3.
7. (NR) Braddock, R4 = Returning five from last year's 4A State Championship 6th place. The Bulldogs open their season this week at Park Vista's Cobra Country Invite at the quick South County Regional Park.
8. (NR) Lourdes, R4 = Returning five from last year's 4A State Championship 9th place, adding in a transfer as their new #1 and an incoming freshman as their new #2, the Bobcats and their new head coach were runner-up at Fleet Feet this week with a 1:07 spread and 21:01 team average while running without returning #4.
9. (NR) Oviedo, R1 = TEAM TO WATCH! The Lions return their entire varsity squad, which was made up of six sophomores, from last year's 7th place 4A Region 1 finish, and they picked up a new #1 & #3 freshman duo. They're quickly moving up the ranks as they slightly finished second at Mike Gibson behind George Jenkins in preseason and second at Early Hawk behind a Georgia team this weekend. They are most impressive with their 43 second 1-6 spread, and they're currently running without their returning #3.
10. (NR) George Jenkins, R2 = returning their top six from last year's 4A State Championship 7th place, these Eagles are currently running low key as their returning #1 coasted at Mike Gibson, while their team got the overall victory. They'll also be racing at Babe Zaharias this weekend.
Teams to watch:
Lakewood Ranch, R2
Spanish River, R3
Timber Creek, R3
Spruce Creek, R1
Winter Park, R3
Commentary: It seems as if these girls just continue to get faster and faster each year. There are plenty of new 3A additions and amazing athletes all around, but please let me know if I happen to miss any major ones. I will list their XC times based on last year's state performances unless there are few who did not perform up to their capabilities at state / were injured / blew up during track & field season.
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (NR) Alyssa Hendrix, 12 - Riverview = Defending 4A State Champion in 17:40, 17th at Foot Locker Nationals, defending 4A State Champion in the 1600m (4:53) and 3200m (10:33).
2. (NR) Parker Valby, 11 - East Lake = 3rd place at 3A State in 18:00, defending 3A State Champion in the 3200m (with a state record setting time of 10:10) and State Runner-up in the 1600m (4:57).
3. (NR) Alica Ruiz, 11 - George Jenkins = 4A State Runner-up in 18:06, defending 4A State Champion in the 800m (2:11) and 4th in the 1600m (5:00).
4. (NR) Caitlin Wilkey, 11 - Chiles = 7th place at 3A State (18:11), 3A State Runner-up in the 800m (2:14) and 5th place in the 1600m (5:01).
5. (NR) Lillian Holtery, 11 - Niceville = 8th place at 3A State (18:16), 3A State 10th place in the 800m (2:17).
6. (NR) Alyson Churchill, 12 - Chiles = 9th place at 3A State (18:16), 3A State 3rd place in the 800m (2:14) and 6th place in the 1600m (5:04).
7. (NR) Jordan Shapiro, 12 - Palmetto = 3rd place at 4A State (18:18), 4A State 3rd place in the 1600m (5:00) and 12th in the 3200m (11:09). I am told she is currently dealing with a stress fracture.
8. (NR) Pia Beaulieu, 11 - Boca Raton = 4th place at 4A State (18:23), 4A Region 3 Champion in the 800m (2:21) and Runner-up in the 1600m (5:05). Did not run State. Injury?
9. (NR) Elizabeth Iliff, 11 - Creekside = 10th place at 3A State (18:23), 3A State 7th place in the 1600m (5:05).
10. (NR) Caroline Lehman, 10 - Manatee = 6th place at 4A State (18:26), 4A State 5th place in the 3200m (10:48) and 11th in the 1600m (5:07).
11. (NR) Mya Bodrato, 11 - Lake Mary = 7th place at 4A State (18:27), 4A State 7th place in the 3200m (10:53) and 8th place in the 1600m (5:04).
12. (NR) Claire Openshaw, 12 - Creekside = 11th place at 3A State (18:28), 3A State 5th place in the 3200m (10:58). Did not have a full track & field season. Previously injured?
13. (NR) Mary Ellen Eudaly, 10 - HB Plant = 8th place at 4A State (18:29), 4A State Runner-up in the 3200m (10:33) and the 1600m (4:54). Poised for a breakout season.
14. (NR) Rylee Pustlink, 12 - Spanish River = 9th place at 4A State (18:34), 4A State 4th place in the 3200m (10:47) and 5th in the 1600m (5:03).
15. (NR) Keleigh Scallon, 11 - Newsome = 12th place at 4A State (18:46), 4A State Runner-up in the 800m (2:12) and 9th in the 1600m (5:05).
16. (NR) Anna Senter, 12 - George Jenkins = 13th place at 4A State (18:51), 4A State 14th place in the 3200m (11:22) and 20th place in the 1600m (5:27).
17. (NR) Mei Chiang, 10 - Fleming Island = 14th place at 4A State (18:52), 4A State 15th place in the 3200m (11:28) and 18th place in the 1600m (5:24).
18. (NR) Ashley Klingenberg, 12 - Lake Brantley = 15th place at 4A State (18:55), 4A State 3rd place in the 800m (2:13), 6th in the 3200m (10:51), and 7th in the 1600m (5:03).
Other individuals to watch out for (strong track seasons)
(NR) Amber Schulz, 10 - Timber Creek = 26th at 4A State (19:24), 4A State 3rd place in the 3200m (10:43) and 15th in the 1600m (5:14).
(NR) Naila Etique, 11 - Nease = 18th place at 3A Region 1 (19:14), 3A State 10th place in the 3200m (11:13).
(NR) Krystal Rodriguez, 11 - Coral Reef = 108th place at 4A State (21:14), 4A State 6th place in the 1600m (5:03) and the 800m (2:14). Ran 800m club track all summer long again; might not translate to XC success.
BOYS STATE RANKINGS
1A Boys Pre-Season Rankings
by Paul Opitz, Out of Door Academy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: Not every team raced this week, but here goes nothing...
Rank. School = Comments
1. Oak Hall = got 2nd at the Cecil field Summer Classic avg 17:52, led by the Montini brothers, may be missing one of their top runners
2. Kings Academy = 4th at Fleet Feet invite avg 18:02 pts 178
3. Seffner Christian Academy = N/R led by the Mckenzie boys
4. Circle Christian Academy = 7th at Fleet Feet avg 18:45 pts 261
5. Pensacola Christian Academy = N/R
6. Maclay School = N/R strong leadership by coach Gary Droze
7. Cambridge Christian = N/R new school but they have the Legg brothers
8. St Joseph Academy = 6th at Cecil Field Summer Classic avg 19:19 pts 184
9. Providence = 8th at Cecil Field Summer Classic avg 19:57 pts 214
10. Trinity Christian Academy = 9th at Cecil Field Summer Classic avg 19:58 pts 218
11. Father Lopez Catholic = 10th at Jim Ryun invite avg 19:53
12. Indian Rocks Christian = N/R did 2-mile time trial, 2 guys in the 11s, 4 guys in the 12s
13. Southwest Florida Christian Academy = won their own Kings Invite
14. Lakeland Christian = 15th at Jim Ryun Invite
15. OUT of DOOR ACADEMY = ran pretty well at hilly Holloway Park, last sat
Commentary: I'm giving this a shot after 22 years in 4A, I'm new to 1A this year. I apologize if my spelling is off, but here we go...
Rank. Name, Grade, School = Comments
1. Austin Motini, 11, Oak Hall = outstanding track season prs 1:56,4:20, 9:26 won New World classic in 16:25
2. Joesph Anderton, 12, = South Florida Heat 3rd at always tough Larry penny trail in 16:30
3. Jonathan Pitchford, 11, = Marathon 5th at the El Conquistdor Invite (Raposo Invite) 16:58
4. Junious Brown, 12, = Maclay another strong track seson prs 9:58,4:20, 1:55 wow led by one of the best coaches in the Mr Droze
5. Matthew Stratton, 10, = St John Country Day n/r pr 16:19
6. John Mckenzie, 12, Seffner Christian Academy = n/r pr 16:24. waiting to race next week aganst them fast plant boys and Ethan Geiger of Robinson
7. Reed Legg, 12, Cambridge Christian = n/r one fast dude
8. Mitchell Curtis, 11, Mt Dora = pr 16;49, 4:34, 10:23 n/r
9. Xander Peacock, 12, Blounstown = pr 16:51, 4:43 9:57 n/r
10. Steven Cartwright, 10, Providence = 3rd at New World Classic 17:03
11 Caden Montini, 09, Oak Hall = ran a 17:20 at the new world classic\
12. Paul Mckenzie, 12, Seffner Christian Academy = n/r led by the superior coaching of Andy Holmes.
13 Tristan McWilliam, 10, OUT OF DOOR ACADEMY = ran 7th at Jim Ryun invite in 17:20
14. Phillip Hebderson, 12, AFA = ran a 18:00 on the hilly Jim Ryun invite
15. Seth Martinez, 12, Lakeland Christian = ran a 18:12 on the always tough Jim Ryun Invite aka Holloway Park.
Other individuals to watch out for (in no particular order):
Braxton Legg, 09, Cambridge Christian
Ethan Tank, 11, SW Florida Christian Academy
Justin Merrell, 12, Seacreast Country Day
George Stark, 10, Palmer Trinity School
Cameron Dunn, 12, Kings Academy
Adam Nipper, 11, Seffner Christian Academy
(Boy those schools have long names!)
2A Boys Pre-Season Rankings
by Zach White, Mount Dora Christian Academy (but think its better when kept anonymous)
Commentary: The past few years, the 2A boys classification has been dominated by Bolles. Last year, we got to witness one of the most historic team seasons in Florida history. Not only did Bolles tie the lowest team total ever at a State Meet (21 points), but they also qualified for the Nike National Meet. It was a special thing to get to watch. Coach Rivera certainly did an outstanding job with that crew and I am sure that we can still expect Bolles to be a major player in 2A this year.
With that being said, Coach Butler and Satellite seem prepared and ready to take over as the dominant force in 2A. This team is certainly not unfamiliar with the podium. It seems they are fighting for the podium every year. As it stands right now, Satellite looks to be the heavy favorite in 2A as we enter into the 2019 season. It will be interesting to see if traditional powerhouses like Bishop Kenny and Bolles can put some pressure on Satellite as the season progresses. Or- who knows-there might be a new name establish itself this year that we aren't expecting. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out!
Here are the TEAM RANKINGS as we begin this season.
Rank. School- (Comments)
1. Satellite- (With all 5 guys returning from last year, Satellite enters the season a strong favorite for the State Title)
2. Bolles- (Though Bolles lost all 5 of the first 5 from last year's State Meet, they have already opened this season with a 17:21 average from 1-5. Led by Sophomore Will Brady and Coach Rivera, expect Bolles to certainly be a player this year and yet again, push for the podium.
3. Bishop Kenny- (Based on who's returning, they actually return one of the lowest 1-5 splits in 2A. Should have 5 guys working in between 16:20-17:00 this year. If that holds true, then they should be a tough group.)
4. Astronaut- (Though Astronaut finished outside the top 10 last year at the State Meet, they return all of their top five. If this team closes their 1-5 split, they could definitely fight for a podium spot.)
5. Berkeley Prep- (Look for this team to make a big jump this year. They return their 5 from last year's State Meet.)
6. Lake Highland Prep- (LHP graduated a lot from last year's 3rd place team, but they still have good slew of talent this year.)
7. King's Academy- (Competed in 1A last year, but return 5 of their top 6 and will definitely be a competitive team. Had a strong opening to the season.)
8. West Shore- (Dropping down from 3A, Returns a good crew from last year and opened this season with a 17:47 average)
9. Bishop Moore- (Graduated a few out of their top 5, but still returns a good core. Have a decently tight pack working together. Only a little over a minute between 1-5 in opening week.)
10. Labelle HS- (Returns their top 4 runners and 5 of their top 6 from last year's 17th place State finish. They have a good young pack and have entered the season with a solid opening weekend.)
Other teams to watch out for:
Pinecrest, Cocoa Beach, Citrus Park Christian, Tavares, and Saint Andrews
Commentary: On the individual side of things, we will certainly miss watching Charles Hicks and that fierce Bolles pack! The 2A classification graduated 11 out of the top 14 finishers from last year's State Meet. It will be a lot of fun as year progresses to see what new names work their way into the top 10. As of right now, Gabriel Montague of Satellite definitely leads the way. He has the fastest returning time from last year and he had the fastest opening weekend as well. However, Pedroza of Key West and some of Montague's own teammates will certainly be looking to press Montague as the season goes on.
Rank. Name- School (Comments)
1. Gabriel Montague- Satellite (Had a good Track season and has proven he is a sub 16 guy on multiple occasions. Ran a 15:29 at Great American last year)
2. Robert Pedroza- Key West (Has proven to have epic speed. Ran 4:13 at the State Meet and pushed Charles Hicks to the end. Coming off of running a 16:02 at last year's State Meet, I believe he will be a serious force to reckon with come November)
3. Justin Wilson- Satellite (Ran 16:03 at last year's State Meet to finish 11th. With him and Montague training together, it is fair to expect that both will drive each other to some great efforts in practices and meets. Come November, Montague and Wilson will be a fun 1, 2 punch to watch)
4. Josh Stern- Satellite (Have not seen a time posted for him yet this season, but he finished 15th at last year's State Meet in a time of 16:20. Assuming he is healthy, he is a very talented runner and a strong 3 man for this extremely strong Satellite team)
5. Reed Legg- Citrus Park Christian (Did not compete at last year's State Meet, but proved during track season that he is an elite runner. Look for him to be pushing under 16 this season and making noise in 2A)
6. Will Brady- Bolles (Was the 6 man for Bolles at last year's State Meet, which meant he finished 16th overall. Wow! His 16:21 at last year's State Meet would have certainly been number 1 on most teams. As he enters into the 10th grade, Bolles will look to him to lead this new young pack. He opened with a solid 16:39)
7. Josh Kraver- Satellite (It seems that Josh Kraver has transferred from Edgewood to Satellite making Satellite even more of a juggernaut. He brings with him a 16:26 18th place at last year's State Meet. He already opened this season with a 16:33)
8. Gavin O'Brien- Astronaut (Did not have a good end to the season last year, but did maintain a 16:32 average last year and opened this year with a 16:35. I look for him to be pressing with the lead pack.)
9. Jai Phillips- Lake Highland Prep (Ran a 16:42 at last year's State Meet and is the highest returning State Meet finisher after the guys already listed other than O'Brien. Doesn't seem to have raced yet this season.)
10. Steven Durr- Fernandina Beach (Averaged sub 17 for all of last season and ran 16:55 at the State Meet. Look for him to be a mid-16 guy this year.)
Other individuals to watch out for:
Colton Sall, Michael Teal, Jacob Ossi, Brayden Cheek, and Cameron Dunn
3A Boys Pre-Season Rankings
by Amanda Vereecke, Fort Myers High School, email@example.com
Belen Jesuit 2018 remains on top of our 3A boys ranking despite running without our 2019 state champ and top ranked runner Javier Vento. Many teams across the state were missing top runners as the SAT was held. Poor course conditions due to wet weather caused some last-minute course changes, making it hard to compare year over year times.
We saw several teams who were ranked in the pre-season poll kick off their season. Only two pre-season top 10 ranked teams went head to head in a meet (Naples and Estero at Lehigh) with Naples coming out on top with 66 points and a 17:25 average vs. Estero with 73 and a 17:37 average.
Rank. (Previous Rank) School (Average Time) = Comments
1. (1) Belen Jesuit (16:57.46) = Defending Champions! Only 2 of their top 10 this weekend had ever scored in a Varsity race before!
2. (4) Sunlake (16:58.44) = Crushing their projected average of 17:07.44! Aided by Senior transfer from Arizona, Kaden Knopp.
3. (NR) Robinson = Returning a strong top 4 from last year and found a 5th during track! Do not race until 9/7 but have a promising group.
4. (3) Choctawhatchee= No race but keeping on the list based on last year's stats!
5. (9) Naples (17:25.80) = Beat Estero Head to Head!
6. (10) Estero (17:37.18) = Huge loss of Hugh Brittenham for the team this year, but powering through nonetheless!
7. (2) Leon (17:38.51) = Aided by their #2 runner, Freshman Jake Rogers!
8. (7) Tampa Jesuit= No race but keeping on the list based on last year's stats!
9. (8) Fort Walton Beach= Strong showing at the Buccaneer Bash! No times due to a short course changed because of weather.
10. (NR) Palmetto Ridge (17:57.78) = Strong showing!
11. (NR) Ida Baker (17:58.72) = Cracking into the top 10!
12. (NR) Immokalee (18:11.78)
13. (NR) Lake Wales (18:16.14)
14. (6) Fort Myers (18:29.68)
15. (5) Gainesville (18:54.59) = Ran on a tough course at the Wolfpack Invite!
Other teams to watch out for:
Lincoln, Lake Minneola, Mitchell, South Fork, Osceola
Individual rankings are based on 2018 performance and 2019 performance thus far. Several key individuals across the state have yet to run. Our next set of rankings will have more data to go from, stay tuned!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (1) Adam Magoulos, 10 - Belen Jesuit = Our fastest returner from 2018!
2. (8) Diego Gomez, 11 - Led his team at the Fleet Feet Invite this week.
3. (2) Javier Vento, 12 - Belen Jesuit = Missed action this week, training hard and set to race soon!
4. (4) Ethan Geiger, 12 - Robinson High School = No meet this week, had a strong track season winning the 3200m at FHSAA finals this spring.
5. (6) Mac Updike, 11- Lake Wales = Won the Jim Ryun Invite this weekend!
6. (5) Thomas Weiler. 12- South Fork = Missed action this week due to an SAT.
7. (7) Darius Johnson, 11- Choctawhatchee = No races yet for 2019
8. (NR) Alexander Rodriguez, 11 - Naples 16= Huge PR! Won Lehigh Invite
9. (NR) Franklin Caceres, 12 - Ida Baker, = Huge PR! 2nd place at Lehigh Invite
10. (NR) Colby Robbins, 10 - Sunlake HS, = Huge PR, 1st place in both races this season!
11. (NR) Edward Scheid, 12 - Sunlake,
12. (9) Brady Gibson, 12 - Naples
13. (NR) Gavin Kennedy, 12 - Sunlake
14. (10) Dieumerci Ufitimana, 12 - St. Petersburg
15. (13) Saindeley Dorsainvil, 11 - Palmetto Ridge
Other individuals to watch out for:
Anderson Denton, 12 - Lake Wales
Lewis Benitez-Chaparro, 12 - Ocala
Kolton Pickard, 10 - Estero
Jackson Yarborough, 10 - Leon
Richard Bennett, 12 - Robinson
Ladarius Tellis, 11 - Lake Region
Sebastian Castillo, 11 - Belen Jesuit
Aiden Villasuso, 11 - Belen Jesuit
Christian Garcia, 12 - Palmetto Ridge
Liam Holsten, 11 - Fort Myers
4A Boys Pre-Season Rankings
by 4A Pollster, 4Apollster@gmail.com
Commentary: Here are my preseason rankings for 4A Boys. The rankings, both for teams and individuals, are based predominately on results from last season's state meet. Some adjustments were made based on 2018 pr's, track results, and just plain gut instinct. These rankings don't really weigh week one results very heavily since not every team has competed and some who did were not yet at full strength.
One thing is for sure - It's gonna be a dogfight for this year's 4-A State title. There are 8 - 10 teams with a legitimate shot at the top spot on the podium in November. I'm sure I left off deserving teams and individuals from this initial list, so feel free to send information and even criticism my way to firstname.lastname@example.org. I mean, c'mon, I'm doing this anonymously, so let me have it! And Enjoy.
Team Rankings #1
Rank. ('18 State Finish) School (Week 1) = Comments
1. (2) Steinbrenner HS (Idle) = Should be the hungriest group after back-to-back runner-up finishes. Also could be the deepest talent in the state. A quality transfer from Citrus Park gives them the early edge.
2. (1) Sarasota HS (Idle) = Defending Champions will have PLENTY of competition to retain the title this year, but they have plenty of returning talent, a rich tradition, and excellent coaching.
3. (3) Newsome HS (1st @ East Hills.) = This team would win a mock meet using the times of all returning runners and may be the biggest threat to the top two. These guys always seem to peak at the right time.
4. (6) Windermere HS (1st @ Jim Ryun) = These guys have been running together since this school opened just two years ago and they've steadily climbed the ranks of 4A. Could this be the year they reach the top?
5. (7th 3A) Nease HS (1st @ Spikes & Spurs) = Best top-3 returners of all 4A teams. A solid 4 & 5 to complement this trio could be enough for this 4A newcomer to win it all.
6. (5th 3A) Bartram Trail HS (3rd @ Spikes & Spurs) = Another powerful newcomer from the Jacksonville area rich in distance running talent. A quality program with experienced coaching.
7. (7) H.B. Plant HS (Idle) = This team had, arguably, the best track season of any 4A distance program. Can they take that success into XC and find a 5th runner? If so, they have a chance to win.
8. (8) Columbus HS (3rd @ Fleet Feet) = This perennial power just added a couple of transfers that will help them compete for a place on the podium.
9. (4) Oviedo HS (2nd @ Early Hawk) = The sting of losing their star runner to graduation has been lessened somewhat by two new transfers of their own. Will that be enough to make the '17 Champs contenders again?
10. (3rd 3A) Creekside HS (2nd @ Spikes & Spurs) = Another high quality 3A program that now competes in 4A. They are also reloading, but they have a strong tradition with quality coaches. Look for them to climb fast.
11. (2nd 3A) Chiles HS (2nd @ Dueling Summits) = Even with the loss of 3 of their top 5, this quality program will, no doubt, work their way up to the top of their new classification.
12. (14) Fleming Island HS (4th @ Spikes & Spurs) = Lots of good pr's (16:50 avg.) top 5 returning from last season and an excellent coach/program.
13. (6th 3A) Niceville HS (1st @ Buc Bash) = Lots of good pr's (17:01 avg.) returning from last season and an excellent program with strong tradition and coaching.
14. (15) Spanish River HS (Idle) = Quality program with good returning depth and excellent coaching.
15. (5) St. Thomas Acquinas HS (Idle) = This elite program that must cope with the loss of a number one runner to graduation AND the transfer of the top returner. This championship program has reloaded before.
Other teams to watch out for:
Ft. Lauderdale HS
Lake Mary HS
St. Cloud HS
Palm Beach Central HS
Coral Park HS
Commentary: Again, these rankings are also based primarily on last year's state meet results with consideration to 2018 p.r.'s and 2019 track results. Enjoy, discuss, debate for now. Soon enough all of these runners will put spikes to turf and the rankings will evolve throughout the season.
Name, Grade / School '18 State / '18 PR /'19 Track
1. Jake Turner, 12 Armwood 15:42 / 15:42 / 9:19 / 4:20
2. Kayamo Galloway, 12 Oviedo 16:07 / 15:35 / 9:26
3. Rheinhart Harrison, 10 Nease 16:36 / 15:46 / 9:34 / 4:12
4. Aidan Breslin, 12 Fort Lauderdale 16:13 / 15:53 / 9:39
5. Justin Tackling, 12 Nease 16:14 / 15:53 / 9:36
6. Wynne Thomas, 11 Plant 16:10 / 16:10 / 9:44
7. Jahari White, 11 Bartram Trail 16:22 / 15:47 / 9:33
8. Dominic Acosta, 12 Newsome 16:17 / 16:12 / 1:54 (800)
9. Onix Ortiz Vazquez, 12 Windermere 16:17 / 16:15 / 9:53 / 4:17
10. Michael Fiore, 11 Fort Lauderdale 16:22 / 16:05 / 9:33 / 4:23
11. Todd Wendel, 11 Niceville 16:23 / 16:06 / 9:49
12. Ryan Guendjoian, 12 Sarasota 16:23 / 16:23 / 9:58
13. Zachary Cloud, 12 St Cloud 16:39 / 16:10 / 9:21
14. Gabriel Lara, 12 George Steinbrenner 16:26 / 16:25 / 9:40
15. Dylan Nelson, 12 Oakleaf 16:33 / 16:10 / 9:49
Runners to Watch
Yonas Sauers, 12 Alonso 16:34 / 16:19 / 9:26
Jesse Benavides, 11 Creekside 16:44 / 16:03 / 9:37 / 4:28
Bradley Ball, 11 Nease 16:50 / 15:57 / 9:32 / 4:33
Liam Pirie, 12 Windermere 16:34 / 16:34 / 10:04
Joshua Bernard, 12 Newsome 16:34 / 16:34 / 10:30
John-Anthony Hernandez, 12 St Cloud 16:36 / 16:21 / 9:51
Malcolm Brown, 11 Columbus 16:37 / 16:37 / 4:35 / 1:59
Kevin Kerjean, 12 Columbus 16:38 / 16:38 / 4:22 / 1:55
Ben Kirbo, 10 Chiles 16:40 / 16:10 / 10:06
Keith Gibson, 12 Plant 17:05 / 16:41 / 9:33 / 4:23
- Please remember that all of these rankings are done by volunteer coaches and are meant to increase the overall enjoyment of the sport for athletes, coaches, parents, and fans. They are just for fun and should not have a lot of weight put on them. But if you have issues (such as a missed athlete or team), please email the individual pollster for your classification & gender.
- Please direct any major concerns to FACA Rankings Representative: Ryan Raposo @ email@example.com