Cross Country Advisory Committee - Coaches, any topics you want addressed?
11/05/2013 8:58:31 AM
Coach
Coaches, The FHSAA advisory committee will be meeting on Dec. 2nd to discuss cross country and any proposed changes/improvements. If you have any topics you'd like addressed at the meeting, please let them be known here and I'll add them to the agenda. Thanks, Justin Smith McKeel Academy
Coaches,

The FHSAA advisory committee will be meeting on Dec. 2nd to discuss cross country and any proposed changes/improvements.

If you have any topics you'd like addressed at the meeting, please let them be known here and I'll add them to the agenda.

Thanks,

Justin Smith
McKeel Academy
11/05/2013 9:38:34 AM
Coach
@CoachSmith I think it would be in the sport's best interest to go back to 8 districts, 2 in each region.
@CoachSmith I think it would be in the sport's best interest to go back to 8 districts, 2 in each region.
11/05/2013 12:22:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Move the state meet back to the week it was last year. If there are conflicts in Tallahassee then lets move it to another location or have it on a Monday. A race in late August for a race in November is not a good trade. Go Noles!
Move the state meet back to the week it was last year. If there are conflicts in Tallahassee then lets move it to another location or have it on a Monday. A race in late August for a race in November is not a good trade. Go Noles!
11/05/2013 1:01:31 PM
Power User
1. I would like to see the 8 districts as well. Take 7 teams and either top 20 individuals or top 3 individuals not on a qualifying team from each district to make a 14 team regional which is a good race size. 2. Explore a system where all race results that are to be used towards the 4 qualifying races for an athlete are sent in and documented within 3 days of running the races. That way everyone can find it before districts, not after the competition occurs.
1. I would like to see the 8 districts as well. Take 7 teams and either top 20 individuals or top 3 individuals not on a qualifying team from each district to make a 14 team regional which is a good race size.

2. Explore a system where all race results that are to be used towards the 4 qualifying races for an athlete are sent in and documented within 3 days of running the races. That way everyone can find it before districts, not after the competition occurs.
11/05/2013 1:47:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think we need to go back to having a rules or PP before the season starts again. I get to regionals and see kids/teams with uniform violations, mostly underarmor stuff. At least with the video, the rules were explicitly stated! I know I read the rule changes but not everyone does and new coaches sometimes don't have anybody to direct them!
I think we need to go back to having a rules or PP before the season starts again. I get to regionals and see kids/teams with uniform violations, mostly underarmor stuff. At least with the video, the rules were explicitly stated! I know I read the rule changes but not everyone does and new coaches sometimes don't have anybody to direct them!
11/05/2013 2:17:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@nmmeans I'd like to see 8 districts as well.
@nmmeans I'd like to see 8 districts as well.
11/05/2013 2:32:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Keep bringing up at large bids for the advancement formula, too many State caliber teams are not making it through because they come from a strong District or Region. For example, the new district structure left 2A-4 Episcopal Girls at home, because only 6 teams showed up to their district meet. They would have advanced in the 2A-1 Region fairly easily. It's just not right.
Keep bringing up at large bids for the advancement formula, too many State caliber teams are not making it through because they come from a strong District or Region. For example, the new district structure left 2A-4 Episcopal Girls at home, because only 6 teams showed up to their district meet. They would have advanced in the 2A-1 Region fairly easily. It's just not right.
11/05/2013 3:37:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If possible please discuss the ability for all schools to be able to run 7th and 8th graders so we have a more level playing field. Thank you.
If possible please discuss the ability for all schools to be able to run 7th and 8th graders so we have a more level playing field. Thank you.
11/05/2013 8:32:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@twhite1969 while I like the concept of allowing all 7 & 8th graders to run with high schoolers to even out the playing field, I don't see how it would be possible with standard 4 year high schools. Often middle schools feed into multiple high schools so how would it work? If I recall, the reason the 7/8th graders are allowed, it's for smaller schools that could not field enough athletes to make a team. Perhaps a solution would be to add a classification or make the 1A classification a 7-12 grade classification. Have the other classifications restricted to 9-12 since, in theory, they should have enough students to make a team. This would apply to both public and private. Just food for thought!
@twhite1969 while I like the concept of allowing all 7 & 8th graders to run with high schoolers to even out the playing field, I don't see how it would be possible with standard 4 year high schools. Often middle schools feed into multiple high schools so how would it work? If I recall, the reason the 7/8th graders are allowed, it's for smaller schools that could not field enough athletes to make a team. Perhaps a solution would be to add a classification or make the 1A classification a 7-12 grade classification. Have the other classifications restricted to 9-12 since, in theory, they should have enough students to make a team. This would apply to both public and private. Just food for thought!
11/07/2013 7:50:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
For the current Cross Country State Series Assignments, is the student population listed the number of students in 9th through 12th grade? In other words in 2A, the Fall 2012 student population used is 471-1462. Is this the total number of 9-12th grade students? Also, what source is used to determine the number of students and does the source break out the students by grade? I'm just wondering if some of the 7-12 grade schools are being placed in the incorrect classification because their total (7-12 grade) numbers are being used. That being said, I like the idea of adding a classification or making the 1A classification a 7-12 grade classification. :)
For the current Cross Country State Series Assignments, is the student population listed the number of students in 9th through 12th grade? In other words in 2A, the Fall 2012 student population used is 471-1462. Is this the total number of 9-12th grade students? Also, what source is used to determine the number of students and does the source break out the students by grade? I'm just wondering if some of the 7-12 grade schools are being placed in the incorrect classification because their total (7-12 grade) numbers are being used. That being said, I like the idea of adding a classification or making the 1A classification a 7-12 grade classification. :)
11/08/2013 2:05:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would love to see balancing of districts and regionals. Some of the districts have 5-6 schools while tohers have 13-14. Some of the regions have 30 schools while others are over 40. This creates a competitive advantage of having to go up against more or less teams. For districts some were 3 teams from 5 while others were 4 teams from 13. if you think bigger picture and realize most of the districts are the same for track you contiune the problem. For our track district we could have 52 competitors in each event leading to 7 heats in the sprints and 2 heats of the 2 mile. I know they are trying to cut down on travel but it is at the cost of fairness. I don't like the idea of at large bids due to drastic variation of courses.
I would love to see balancing of districts and regionals. Some of the districts have 5-6 schools while tohers have 13-14. Some of the regions have 30 schools while others are over 40. This creates a competitive advantage of having to go up against more or less teams. For districts some were 3 teams from 5 while others were 4 teams from 13. if you think bigger picture and realize most of the districts are the same for track you contiune the problem. For our track district we could have 52 competitors in each event leading to 7 heats in the sprints and 2 heats of the 2 mile. I know they are trying to cut down on travel but it is at the cost of fairness.

I don't like the idea of at large bids due to drastic variation of courses.
11/10/2013 3:10:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is a topic that I'm sure has come up before, but after the state meet results and some grumbling I heard from coaches and parents - I thought I'd bring it up. I believe that 7 of the 8 team titles went to private schools. My public school was no where close to competing for a title and we were content with our results - but I have to wonder if we have a system stacked against 4 year public high schools? This is no slight to the great coaches and teams that won...they work hard and compete great. My question is has the advisory committee studied our current classification and compared it to other states, and do they feel its appropriate and fair to all schools?
This is a topic that I'm sure has come up before, but after the state meet results and some grumbling I heard from coaches and parents - I thought I'd bring it up. I believe that 7 of the 8 team titles went to private schools. My public school was no where close to competing for a title and we were content with our results - but I have to wonder if we have a system stacked against 4 year public high schools? This is no slight to the great coaches and teams that won...they work hard and compete great. My question is has the advisory committee studied our current classification and compared it to other states, and do they feel its appropriate and fair to all schools?
11/11/2013 7:31:19 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSmith 2 districts per region, instead of 4, advancing the top 8 out of each district, especially if the track districts/regions are going to mirror cross country.
@CoachSmith 2 districts per region, instead of 4, advancing the top 8 out of each district, especially if the track districts/regions are going to mirror cross country.
11/11/2013 7:43:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ghayes23 As I understand it, the student population is the high school population, and if it is a one gender school, then that number is doubled for classification purposes.
@ghayes23 As I understand it, the student population is the high school population, and if it is a one gender school, then that number is doubled for classification purposes.
11/11/2013 11:12:21 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
That doesn't' seem fair - to have an additional pool of 6-8 grade talent to use on your high school team and not have it count against the high school population. If a school uses middle schoolers in high school competition, then they should be counted as part of the high school population - if not counted, they should be limited to middle school competition. Using middle schoolers may not be much of a factor in sports like football, but they are definitely a factor in girls cross-country.
That doesn't' seem fair - to have an additional pool of 6-8 grade talent to use on your high school team and not have it count against the high school population. If a school uses middle schoolers in high school competition, then they should be counted as part of the high school population - if not counted, they should be limited to middle school competition. Using middle schoolers may not be much of a factor in sports like football, but they are definitely a factor in girls cross-country.
11/12/2013 1:17:04 PM
Coach
@Stevefarn That won't shift the classifications too terribly much - for one thing, the averages will move up, for another, most of the small private schools would still be small private schools, and lastly, it's not just private schools using middle schoolers (and more power to those public schools that can and do).
@Stevefarn That won't shift the classifications too terribly much - for one thing, the averages will move up, for another, most of the small private schools would still be small private schools, and lastly, it's not just private schools using middle schoolers (and more power to those public schools that can and do).
11/12/2013 1:44:56 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@nmmeans Agreed, it won't make any change for the smaller 1A and 2A schools who will remain in the same classification. The larger 1A and 2A schools would be pushed into the next class, which might make things fairer to the smaller schools. I see it as a way to make things fairer in Class 2A, where there is a considerable disparity between public and private school performance. Most 2A public schools are stand-alone high schools and can't run middle schoolers. Many of the 2A private schools are combined middle/high schools. You can have a situation where a 1000-student public high school competes against a 1000 student private high school that also has 800 middle schoolers to pull running talent out of. That's not a fair competition. I think the affected schools should have a choice - not use middle schoolers and remain in their classification, or maintain middle-school eligibility and move up to the next class.
@nmmeans

Agreed, it won't make any change for the smaller 1A and 2A schools who will remain in the same classification. The larger 1A and 2A schools would be pushed into the next class, which might make things fairer to the smaller schools. I see it as a way to make things fairer in Class 2A, where there is a considerable disparity between public and private school performance. Most 2A public schools are stand-alone high schools and can't run middle schoolers. Many of the 2A private schools are combined middle/high schools. You can have a situation where a 1000-student public high school competes against a 1000 student private high school that also has 800 middle schoolers to pull running talent out of. That's not a fair competition. I think the affected schools should have a choice - not use middle schoolers and remain in their classification, or maintain middle-school eligibility and move up to the next class.
11/12/2013 5:02:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Stevefarn I fully agree. For me it's about consistency and a level playing field. I coach at 2A standalone school that cannot run 7th or 8th graders. Most of the schools we compete with can. That is not consistent and raises all sorts of questions every year. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's unfair, it's just not consistent. In my opinion it should be everyone can run middle schoolers or nobody can. I also agree that the 7th and 8th grade populations should be factored into the classification. If we got moved up a classification, I can live with that.
@Stevefarn
I fully agree. For me it's about consistency and a level playing field. I coach at 2A standalone school that cannot run 7th or 8th graders. Most of the schools we compete with can. That is not consistent and raises all sorts of questions every year. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's unfair, it's just not consistent.

In my opinion it should be everyone can run middle schoolers or nobody can. I also agree that the 7th and 8th grade populations should be factored into the classification. If we got moved up a classification, I can live with that.
11/12/2013 6:06:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would like to see a change in our meeting schedule regarding districts as well as region bids. Why not have the meeting in the spring so district meets are set and have bids in and released before the summer XC meeting. Any feedback?
I would like to see a change in our meeting schedule regarding districts as well as region bids. Why not have the meeting in the spring so district meets are set and have bids in and released before the summer XC meeting. Any feedback?
11/13/2013 4:47:31 PM
User
We Host The District and it would be Great if they could bump the requirement up one week for the Athletes names being put into [b]the C2C program[/b] so we can get them to the timing companies and T-Shirt company. Thank You Coach Tyler
We Host The District and it would be Great if they could bump the requirement up one week for the Athletes names being put into the C2C program so we can get them to the timing companies and T-Shirt company.
Thank You
Coach Tyler

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.