4AD3 & 4AD4 Course
11/04/2017 5:34:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Any consensus out there for the length of the course for these district meet. I know the weather was great, but given previous performances and Region performances, it looks closer to 3 mile than 5k to me. Thoughts?
Any consensus out there for the length of the course for these district meet. I know the weather was great, but given previous performances and Region performances, it looks closer to 3 mile than 5k to me. Thoughts?
11/04/2017 9:41:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Will Will, I'm sure the course was accurate and the weather was the reason for the great times. Even in the virtual meet it panned out exactly as Todd predicted. I'm sure if there was any question as to the veracity of the course, Todd would have pointed it out as any person that knew XC and was a reporter would have done. Going into the region meet we were hoping to hold on to the 6th place finish as predicted and luckily we squeaked by. I'm sure we will pick the ALL STAR meet off of season bests right? (maybe a little bit of sarcasm involved in the post, as we all know October is officially sarcasm month and I'm always a little late to the party)
@Will Will, I'm sure the course was accurate and the weather was the reason for the great times. Even in the virtual meet it panned out exactly as Todd predicted. I'm sure if there was any question as to the veracity of the course, Todd would have pointed it out as any person that knew XC and was a reporter would have done. Going into the region meet we were hoping to hold on to the 6th place finish as predicted and luckily we squeaked by. I'm sure we will pick the ALL STAR meet off of season bests right? (maybe a little bit of sarcasm involved in the post, as we all know October is officially sarcasm month and I'm always a little late to the party)
11/04/2017 10:18:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Hey Coach, not sure if that was sarcasm or not. However, it is the job of the hosts to make sure the courses are legit and accurate. If there are questions regarding a courses validity let me know, but also hold the meet director accountable. It's hard when one person says its not legit and 7 others don't say anything. Who do you call a liar if 2 people say its wrong, 3 don't say anything and the meet host says its fine?
Hey Coach, not sure if that was sarcasm or not. However, it is the job of the hosts to make sure the courses are legit and accurate. If there are questions regarding a courses validity let me know, but also hold the meet director accountable. It's hard when one person says its not legit and 7 others don't say anything. Who do you call a liar if 2 people say its wrong, 3 don't say anything and the meet host says its fine?
11/05/2017 5:34:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
No need to get testy now Mr Fred ;) I was trying to phrase it as politely as possible and get a consensus before changing it.
No need to get testy now Mr Fred ;) I was trying to phrase it as politely as possible and get a consensus before changing it.
11/05/2017 7:03:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I always look at the course rating feature here on flrunners to get a idea of what we are looking at you can find the course rating for the course your speaking of here... http://fl.milesplit.com/venues/14163
I always look at the course rating feature here on flrunners to get a idea of what we are looking at you can find the course rating for the course your speaking of here... http://fl.milesplit.com/venues/14163
11/05/2017 8:05:44 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Will]No need to get testy now Mr Fred ;) I was trying to phrase it as politely as possible and get a consensus before changing it.[/quote] @Will Will, not being testy, just having fun and realizing how much I miss the Raposo police. (little bit like not knowing I would actually miss George Bush and Barack Obama)
Will wrote:

@Will

Will, not being testy, just having fun and realizing how much I miss the Raposo police. (little bit like not knowing I would actually miss George Bush and Barack Obama)
11/05/2017 8:11:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Haha! Too true. I gave you the winky face because I know your sense of humor. Good luck next week!
Haha! Too true. I gave you the winky face because I know your sense of humor. Good luck next week!
11/05/2017 8:18:25 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TGrasley That was a little strong. I would never use the word liar, just exploring like Will and hoping that the all-star teams are not picked on season bests.
@TGrasley That was a little strong. I would never use the word liar, just exploring like Will and hoping that the all-star teams are not picked on season bests.
11/05/2017 8:19:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Will I love you man!
@Will I love you man!
11/05/2017 11:01:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Very nice to see the short course debates get worked out in a civil manner this year. They are a difficult debate to navigate in a cordial manner.
Very nice to see the short course debates get worked out in a civil manner this year. They are a difficult debate to navigate in a cordial manner.
11/05/2017 11:21:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TGrasley Todd, a few technical questions. 1. Is there a specific mathematical analysis Flrunners uses to finalize a course length when a representative from Flrunners does not measure the course? 2. More specifically, if a course gets reported by the meet administrator as 3.1 or is unreported as a specific length, what means is used to determine its length in the database. 3. Does a course ever get listed as 3.2?
@TGrasley

Todd, a few technical questions.

1. Is there a specific mathematical analysis Flrunners uses to finalize a course length when a representative from Flrunners does not measure the course?

2. More specifically, if a course gets reported by the meet administrator as 3.1 or is unreported as a specific length, what means is used to determine its length in the database.

3. Does a course ever get listed as 3.2?
11/05/2017 12:12:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Will I believe it's the same course they've run for several years? I know it's flat as a pancake & hard ground...perfect for fast times. I think it's legit if you look at the times.
@Will I believe it's the same course they've run for several years? I know it's flat as a pancake & hard ground...perfect for fast times. I think it's legit if you look at the times.
11/05/2017 1:33:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jdpsu It's slightly different than in the past. And it was a different length at Metro the week before. I like the course, and I love West Orange for hosting so many good meets. But I don't want my guys thinking they ran tremendously faster than they actually did. It doesn't really matter one way or another, but I was wondering if there was any movement afoot to have it reclassified as 3.0 or 3.x.
@jdpsu It's slightly different than in the past. And it was a different length at Metro the week before. I like the course, and I love West Orange for hosting so many good meets. But I don't want my guys thinking they ran tremendously faster than they actually did. It doesn't really matter one way or another, but I was wondering if there was any movement afoot to have it reclassified as 3.0 or 3.x.
11/05/2017 9:46:54 PM
User
Please also keep in mind at Metros the course was muddy and flooded in several areas, and weather much warmer. I know the course was measured several times for districts, as people questioned it at Metros because times were slower. Several of the top finishers ran close to the district times at regionals as well, on the twisting bunnell course.
Please also keep in mind at Metros the course was muddy and flooded in several areas, and weather much warmer. I know the course was measured several times for districts, as people questioned it at Metros because times were slower. Several of the top finishers ran close to the district times at regionals as well, on the twisting bunnell course.
11/06/2017 5:56:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Nellenback You're absolutely right about the weather between Metro and Districts. It almost couldn't have been a bigger difference. The weather between and Regionals was roughly the same. And actually, very few ran close to as fast at Regionals. Only 1 runner from D3 or D4 was faster than Districts and only 4 more were within 20 seconds. 15 were 20-39 seconds slower and the remaining 45 were over 40 seconds slower at Regionals. I know that's a lot of detail to collect when I don't really care that much. I guess that's what happens when you're retired and every day is Saturday. Ok - no more talk about course length Will. You're not Raposo. You're not Raposo.
@Nellenback You're absolutely right about the weather between Metro and Districts. It almost couldn't have been a bigger difference. The weather between and Regionals was roughly the same. And actually, very few ran close to as fast at Regionals. Only 1 runner from D3 or D4 was faster than Districts and only 4 more were within 20 seconds. 15 were 20-39 seconds slower and the remaining 45 were over 40 seconds slower at Regionals. I know that's a lot of detail to collect when I don't really care that much. I guess that's what happens when you're retired and every day is Saturday. Ok - no more talk about course length Will. You're not Raposo. You're not Raposo.
11/07/2017 12:52:41 PM
User
@Will Actually, just for giggles, myself and a couple parents pulled the times of each kid that ran this combined district meet and 98% all ran 2-3 minutes faster from their prior time the weekend before. Then at Regional the ones who made it were suddenly back at their prior times before district. Yes, there are rumors circulating that this course was short hence producing the faster times. Can't say that weather made just about every runner 2-3 minutes faster. Other districts ran in the same temps and their times remained consistent at Regionals. Just my 2 cents. If there are officials from the FHSAA at every meet, can they not measure the course an hour before ?
@Will Actually, just for giggles, myself and a couple parents pulled the times of each kid that ran this combined district meet and 98% all ran 2-3 minutes faster from their prior time the weekend before. Then at Regional the ones who made it were suddenly back at their prior times before district. Yes, there are rumors circulating that this course was short hence producing the faster times. Can't say that weather made just about every runner 2-3 minutes faster. Other districts ran in the same temps and their times remained consistent at Regionals. Just my 2 cents. If there are officials from the FHSAA at every meet, can they not measure the course an hour before ?
11/07/2017 1:32:53 PM
Coach
This is getting old
This is getting old
11/07/2017 1:42:29 PM
User
@pocoach and your rude. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you prefer something more exciting perhaps you should get off the computer and find something more exhilarating then a runners discussion board. You're welcome :)
@pocoach and your rude. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you prefer something more exciting perhaps you should get off the computer and find something more exhilarating then a runners discussion board.

You're welcome :)

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.