Other Teacher 9 14%
Not a Classroom Teacher 22 33%
66 Votes

Vote!
What subject do you teach?
12/19/2018 4:49:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Interested to see what subjects cross country and track coaches teach. I started it off with my answer... social studies, specifically Psychology teacher. I know a few others who do the same and that got me wondering.
Interested to see what subjects cross country and track coaches teach. I started it off with my answer... social studies, specifically Psychology teacher. I know a few others who do the same and that got me wondering.
12/19/2018 9:26:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachHoward]Interested to see what subjects cross country and track coaches teach. I started it off with my answer... social studies, specifically Psychology teacher. I know a few others who do the same and that got me wondering.[/quote] Nice! I do AP Psych also, plus Philosophy.
CoachHoward wrote:

Nice! I do AP Psych also, plus Philosophy.
12/20/2018 5:25:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoward My original hypothesis when you posted this was there will probably be few PE / Athletics teachers who are also track & field coaches. Reason being, a high number of public schools tend to reserve those PE positions for Head Football and Head Basketball coaches. Not only that, but PE positions are also few when compared to math, science, English, and Social Science departments. We have 4-5 PE positions, but 10 math positions. This poll is interesting, but its results will be skewed in two areas. First...for the reason I previously stated, the available positions in math alone or English alone, or Social Sciences alone far out number available positions in PE / Athletics. Second...the "other" category possibly far out numbers the rest of the categories combined (English, Spanish, Art, Culinary arts, Computer classes, ROTC, etc.). I have thought the same thing regarding this poll (who are these track coaches and what do they teach?). If the results of this poll are to carry any valid weight, then go ahead and individualize the subject areas so we can get a true picture. It would be interesting to see if the voting coaches focus on one event area (which one) or all events.....So, who are you, what do you teach, and do you consider yourself a "jack of all trades" (if not, then what event/event area do you coach). Will we find math teachers typically coach Distance events and Social Science teachers coaching Sprints and Science teachers coaching field events? Hmmmm.....?
@CoachHoward
My original hypothesis when you posted this was there will probably be few PE / Athletics teachers who are also track & field coaches. Reason being, a high number of public schools tend to reserve those PE positions for Head Football and Head Basketball coaches. Not only that, but PE positions are also few when compared to math, science, English, and Social Science departments. We have 4-5 PE positions, but 10 math positions. This poll is interesting, but its results will be skewed in two areas. First...for the reason I previously stated, the available positions in math alone or English alone, or Social Sciences alone far out number available positions in PE / Athletics. Second...the "other" category possibly far out numbers the rest of the categories combined (English, Spanish, Art, Culinary arts, Computer classes, ROTC, etc.).
I have thought the same thing regarding this poll (who are these track coaches and what do they teach?). If the results of this poll are to carry any valid weight, then go ahead and individualize the subject areas so we can get a true picture. It would be interesting to see if the voting coaches focus on one event area (which one) or all events.....So, who are you, what do you teach, and do you consider yourself a "jack of all trades" (if not, then what event/event area do you coach).
Will we find math teachers typically coach Distance events and Social Science teachers coaching Sprints and Science teachers coaching field events? Hmmmm.....?
12/20/2018 6:08:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps thanks for the thoughtful reply! I didn't expect many XC/track coaches to be PE coaches either, based on my informal conversations with coaches locally. And while the poll is far from objective and free from bias I do think it is interesting to see that MOST XC / track coaches are either social studies or math teachers or not a teacher at all.
@multijumps thanks for the thoughtful reply! I didn't expect many XC/track coaches to be PE coaches either, based on my informal conversations with coaches locally. And while the poll is far from objective and free from bias I do think it is interesting to see that MOST XC / track coaches are either social studies or math teachers or not a teacher at all.
12/20/2018 7:20:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoward PE for me and Head XC/Track. The norm at my school has always been Football holding down the PE jobs.
@CoachHoward
PE for me and Head XC/Track. The norm at my school has always been Football holding down the PE jobs.
12/20/2018 9:00:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Anatomy & Physiology Exercise Physiology I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to teach what I actually studied in Grad School.
Anatomy & Physiology
Exercise Physiology

I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to teach what I actually studied in Grad School.
12/20/2018 10:51:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
20th year coaching high school. I've coached just about all the events at this point and am not a classroom teacher. We have 10-12 coaches on staff each year (and ~120 kids in program) and of them, almost half are not teachers at the school typically. Those that are have been a mix of science and english mostly.
20th year coaching high school. I've coached just about all the events at this point and am not a classroom teacher. We have 10-12 coaches on staff each year (and ~120 kids in program) and of them, almost half are not teachers at the school typically. Those that are have been a mix of science and english mostly.
12/21/2018 3:09:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@garydroze I'm lucky too. (Marine biology/oceanography)
@garydroze

I'm lucky too.

(Marine biology/oceanography)
12/21/2018 3:36:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I’d be interested to see what other occupations the non teachers are in. I am an audiologist.
I'd be interested to see what other occupations the non teachers are in. I am an audiologist.
12/22/2018 10:35:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@francee what?
@francee

what?
12/23/2018 8:46:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps Very witty!
@multijumps
Very witty!
12/31/2018 8:22:17 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I have been a "Community Coach" (not working in the school system full time) for 5 years in Florida and 20+ years prior in Georgia. I am a Sr. Underwriter with a PEO. Home shored job and fortunate enough that my company allows me to work 6:10am to 3:10pm so I can coach. (for the last 15 years)
I have been a "Community Coach" (not working in the school system full time) for 5 years in Florida and 20+ years prior in Georgia. I am a Sr. Underwriter with a PEO. Home shored job and fortunate enough that my company allows me to work 6:10am to 3:10pm so I can coach. (for the last 15 years)
12/31/2018 7:50:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@francee I'm in cyber security. Never a dull day in the office:).
@francee

I'm in cyber security. Never a dull day in the office:).

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.