Competitive Balance Formula
11/12/2019 10:19:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I was looking at the XC State results and it looks like the following teams will move up a classification next year because of the Competitive Balance Formula. Altamont and Whitesburg from 1A/2A to 3A Westminster OM and Bayside from 3A to 4A Cath Mont, SJPII, and UMS from 4A to 5A Randolph and Briarwood from 5A to 6A St Pauls from 6A to 7A
I was looking at the XC State results and it looks like the following teams will move up a classification next year because of the Competitive Balance Formula.

Altamont and Whitesburg from 1A/2A to 3A

Westminster OM and Bayside from 3A to 4A

Cath Mont, SJPII, and UMS from 4A to 5A

Randolph and Briarwood from 5A to 6A

St Pauls from 6A to 7A
11/12/2019 10:28:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Programs who were close to moving up but didn't accumulate enough points (more than 7 points during a two year window) St James (7 points) American Christian (7 points) St Michael (6.5 points) Faith Academy (5.5 points) St Bernard (5 points)
Programs who were close to moving up but didn't accumulate enough points (more than 7 points during a two year window)

St James (7 points)
American Christian (7 points)
St Michael (6.5 points)
Faith Academy (5.5 points)
St Bernard (5 points)
11/12/2019 3:07:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It is going to be an interesting few weeks as the new classifications should be coming out soon and we could see some major reshuffling of traditionally powerful programs.
It is going to be an interesting few weeks as the new classifications should be coming out soon and we could see some major reshuffling of traditionally powerful programs.
11/13/2019 8:26:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Dont forget the schools who have moved up....and may or may not be moving down. I am pretty sure we..Montgomery Academy ...are staying 4A in XC. I think we accumulated the 2pts to stay. I was under the impression it was 7 or more...but it does read "more than 7."
Dont forget the schools who have moved up....and may or may not be moving down. I am pretty sure we..Montgomery Academy ...are staying 4A in XC. I think we accumulated the 2pts to stay.

I was under the impression it was 7 or more...but it does read "more than 7."
11/13/2019 9:58:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
How does reclassification by population effect "Competitive Balance" results? Meaning will a school that is going to move up because of population, that has also accumulated enough CBF points, be bumped up 2 classifications from the previous cycle or will those point be nullified? Ex: Briarwood Christian 5A by population will move up due to CBF, Briarwood was only 21.15 students away from being 6A by population (according to the 2018-2020 classification count). During the next population count if Briarwood was classified as a 6A school would they still have to be held accountable for their CBF points? 1) A 6A school competing in 6A cross country 2) a 6A school competing in 7A cross country (for points accumulated in 5A) Also does the same rule apply if a school were to move down in population? Is it up a classification from where they earned their points? From current population class? Points don't factor?
How does reclassification by population effect "Competitive Balance" results? Meaning will a school that is going to move up because of population, that has also accumulated enough CBF points, be bumped up 2 classifications from the previous cycle or will those point be nullified?

Ex: Briarwood Christian 5A by population will move up due to CBF, Briarwood was only 21.15 students away from being 6A by population (according to the 2018-2020 classification count). During the next population count if Briarwood was classified as a 6A school would they still have to be held accountable for their CBF points?

1) A 6A school competing in 6A cross country
2) a 6A school competing in 7A cross country (for points accumulated in 5A)

Also does the same rule apply if a school were to move down in population? Is it up a classification from where they earned their points? From current population class? Points don't factor?
11/13/2019 11:07:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The link keeps messing up but if you google AHSAA Competitive Balance you can bring up the PDF with the guidelines and it should answer some of the questions but is definitely still vague on others. From the way I am reading it I think if you moved up by population you would have to move up one beyond that if your CBF met the threshold. i think they are treating them as independent measures.
The link keeps messing up but if you google AHSAA Competitive Balance you can bring up the PDF with the guidelines and it should answer some of the questions but is definitely still vague on others. From the way I am reading it I think if you moved up by population you would have to move up one beyond that if your CBF met the threshold. i think they are treating them as independent measures.
11/13/2019 7:50:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Best example I can give you is St. James was 4a volleyball and moved to 5a volleyball while the school dropped down to 3A. American Christian would have moved to 4A based on the formula but also moved up because of population. They remained 4A after winning EVERYTHING in 3A Track/XC
Best example I can give you is St. James was 4a volleyball and moved to 5a volleyball while the school dropped down to 3A.

American Christian would have moved to 4A based on the formula but also moved up because of population. They remained 4A after winning EVERYTHING in 3A Track/XC
11/16/2019 10:36:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There will be major reshuffling in the cycle in January. some 6a schools have blown up in populations and some 7a have lost. Plus the two Dothan schools merged to become a mega school. Also the state by-laws are written so that 7a can be 28 OR 32. So if this cycle its 28 then the bottom for 7a become 6a and the it continues down the line. Dec 17 will be the day the alignments are announced, things should be interesting.
There will be major reshuffling in the cycle in January. some 6a schools have blown up in populations and some 7a have lost. Plus the two Dothan schools merged to become a mega school. Also the state by-laws are written so that 7a can be 28 OR 32. So if this cycle its 28 then the bottom for 7a become 6a and the it continues down the line. Dec 17 will be the day the alignments are announced, things should be interesting.
11/16/2019 10:36:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.