So much for the 4 x 800 / 4 x 400 state meet double....
11/26/2019 1:04:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In the State Track and Field tentative schedule, the 4 x 800 final and 4 x 400 prelims back up to each other. All year, we run the 4 x 800 first, and 4 x 400 last, giving athletes enough tine to run in both. Yet, at the State Meet we change the schedule so they can no longer do both....Doesn't quite make sense. Not sure who creates the State schedule, or where any transparency exists, but in addressing my concern to Ed Thompson, this was the reply: "Thanks for asking, Erik. In 2019, less than 10% of all athletes entered in relays in the state meet competed in multiple relays. Based upon those numbers and schools impacted we do not believe it’s enough to merit a change. Have a great holiday. See you in January." It is a 2-day state meet. Based on the tentative schedule, adequate rest can be provided, but apparently is just dismissed. This means that teams that will qualify both, will most likely have to sacrifice one. So much for having the best competition run against each other. FYI - assuming I take the 10% statement above as truth, this is counting the 4 x 100 relay, of which many of those athletes actually do not double as the 400 and 800 are less comparable to a 100. Thus, this statistic is skewed.
In the State Track and Field tentative schedule, the 4 x 800 final and 4 x 400 prelims back up to each other. All year, we run the 4 x 800 first, and 4 x 400 last, giving athletes enough tine to run in both. Yet, at the State Meet we change the schedule so they can no longer do both....Doesn't quite make sense. Not sure who creates the State schedule, or where any transparency exists, but in addressing my concern to Ed Thompson, this was the reply:

"Thanks for asking, Erik. In 2019, less than 10% of all athletes entered in relays in the state meet competed in multiple relays. Based upon those numbers and schools impacted we do not believe it's enough to merit a change. Have a great holiday. See you in January."

It is a 2-day state meet. Based on the tentative schedule, adequate rest can be provided, but apparently is just dismissed. This means that teams that will qualify both, will most likely have to sacrifice one. So much for having the best competition run against each other. FYI - assuming I take the 10% statement above as truth, this is counting the 4 x 100 relay, of which many of those athletes actually do not double as the 400 and 800 are less comparable to a 100. Thus, this statistic is skewed.
11/26/2019 2:31:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@erik If regions dont use the same order a state meet... you are right! there will be a ton of scratches and substitutes at state meet. Waiting to see if region meets are required to follow same order?
@erik

If regions dont use the same order a state meet... you are right! there will be a ton of scratches and substitutes at state meet. Waiting to see if region meets are required to follow same order?
11/26/2019 2:35:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@erik Wasn't the original idea of having a 2-day state meet was to have prelims on Day 1 and Finals on Day 2? Well...why do they have prelims & finals for some events on Day 1? Why all the fancy stuff (1A does four events, then 2A does some events in a block-like format)? Stop trying to figure out major recovery times for every event. Just run the meet straight through on Day 1 (all prelims) plue 4 x 8 and 1600m. Repeat the same format on Day 2 (just Finals) plus 800m and 3200m.
@erik

Wasn't the original idea of having a 2-day state meet was to have prelims on Day 1 and Finals on Day 2? Well...why do they have prelims & finals for some events on Day 1? Why all the fancy stuff (1A does four events, then 2A does some events in a block-like format)? Stop trying to figure out major recovery times for every event. Just run the meet straight through on Day 1 (all prelims) plue 4 x 8 and 1600m. Repeat the same format on Day 2 (just Finals) plus 800m and 3200m.
11/26/2019 3:31:26 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Also, why delay starting field events until the racing starts? It gives the impression the committee is intentionally trying to condense the schedule and force athletes to compete in fewer events, so more kids might get to compete at State. Give the best athletes the opportunity to perform. Put together a schedule that minimizes checking in and out of events. Run the 4x400 as a final with no prelim. We want to see the best Florida has to offer when kids are peaked, not some exhibition with kids running on minimum recovery.
Also, why delay starting field events until the racing starts? It gives the impression the committee is intentionally trying to condense the schedule and force athletes to compete in fewer events, so more kids might get to compete at State. Give the best athletes the opportunity to perform. Put together a schedule that minimizes checking in and out of events. Run the 4x400 as a final with no prelim. We want to see the best Florida has to offer when kids are peaked, not some exhibition with kids running on minimum recovery.
11/26/2019 4:56:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is NO WAY this can be correct!! First, I don't believe the 10% is actually correct. Second... this should not even be an option. Who was in charge of making this schedule? Why would we go back to back with an event that has NEVER been run that way? This will completely kill the athletes in the lower divisions. @eric How can this be the final say? The very least should be having both 1a and 2a go after each other in the 4x8 and 4x4. Still is NOT enough time!
There is NO WAY this can be correct!! First, I don't believe the 10% is actually correct. Second... this should not even be an option. Who was in charge of making this schedule? Why would we go back to back with an event that has NEVER been run that way? This will completely kill the athletes in the lower divisions.
@eric How can this be the final say? The very least should be having both 1a and 2a go after each other in the 4x8 and 4x4. Still is NOT enough time!
11/26/2019 5:08:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I don’t complain without offering to help so please sign me up for a committee (Or whatever is needed)to help come up with a schedule that has the athletes best interests in mind. This is not it. There are many possibilities that would be better than this (several are listed above). I’d sincerely love to know the rationale behind how this schedule benefits the athletes. That is what this is all about and it’s why we do what we do. We let the athletes down with this schedule. We are failing them. We can do better.
I don't complain without offering to help so please sign me up for a committee (Or whatever is needed)to help come up with a schedule that has the athletes best interests in mind. This is not it. There are many possibilities that would be better than this (several are listed above). I'd sincerely love to know the rationale behind how this schedule benefits the athletes. That is what this is all about and it's why we do what we do. We let the athletes down with this schedule. We are failing them. We can do better.
11/26/2019 5:50:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mbecker Region host can set the race schedule however they want. But it would be nice too have the same schedule from districts too state
@mbecker Region host can set the race schedule however they want.
But it would be nice too have the same schedule from districts too state
11/26/2019 6:15:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What you all are missing is the word “Prelims”. The Advisory Committee did away with prelims in the 4x400 Relay. However, the AD Committee would not approve it for this season. So, it has to stay somewhere. In the future, it will not be a problem with the 4x800 Relay. The only problem I see with the schedule “might” be with the 100 and 200 Finals starting at the same time as the Long and Triple Jumps and I don’t like the jumping events so late in the evening that time of year due to lightning and rain. The 800 Finals would be better served between the 100 and 4x100 Finals, not the prelims. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the schedule. Also: UF does not have the parking, or spectator capacity to host the meet under the former schedule. AND. If you notice, the schedule as posted has draft across it, which indicates to me some minor changes for the good of ALL athletes might still be made. Now, before everyone goes off on me, I DID NOT HAVE ANY INPUT IN MAKING THIS SCHEDULE. Except for the above observations, I like it. ITEM FOR CONSIDERATION. What would be wrong with finishing the meet with the 4x100 Relay?
What you all are missing is the word "Prelims". The Advisory Committee did away with prelims in the 4x400 Relay. However, the AD Committee would not approve it for this season. So, it has to stay somewhere. In the future, it will not be a problem with the 4x800 Relay. The only problem I see with the schedule "might" be with the 100 and 200 Finals starting at the same time as the Long and Triple Jumps and I don't like the jumping events so late in the evening that time of year due to lightning and rain. The 800 Finals would be better served between the 100 and 4x100 Finals, not the prelims. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the schedule.

Also: UF does not have the parking, or spectator capacity to host the meet under the former schedule. AND. If you notice, the schedule as posted has draft across it, which indicates to me some minor changes for the good of ALL athletes might still be made. Now, before everyone goes off on me, I DID NOT HAVE ANY INPUT IN MAKING THIS SCHEDULE. Except for the above observations, I like it.
ITEM FOR CONSIDERATION. What would be wrong with finishing the meet with the 4x100 Relay?
11/26/2019 6:20:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There will be no prelims in the 4x400 in Region so it will not be a problem.
There will be no prelims in the 4x400 in Region so it will not be a problem.
11/26/2019 6:25:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@erik I don’t understand who is “WE” that decided to keep the 4x4 prelim in after the overwhelming cry and concerns at last years FACA clinic. I thought we were the body of this GREAT sport and that was the forum to get things done. I’m definitely saddened by this. I know there will never be a perfect schedule but let’s be fair. I see a lot of different issues that will be a trickle down effect. For an example: If a school have a 300 hurdler that runs the 200. There is already a lack of recovery time there, now let’s add in the 4x4 prelim (by the way I don’t have quality depth not to run him), now 300h final, 200 final and let’s throw in one more 400. I remember you saying last year Ed waned solutions instead of complaining. My recommendation is to either get rid of it, or move it to early in the morning. How did Ed come up with only 10%? So out of Approximately 120 schools per classification and only 12 kids ran more that one relay?! Anyways, that's besides the point. My point is these two relays are back to back and now the option to run both is out the window? Coaches please email Ed your concerns about these issues. This is about our athletes getting the proper recovery to put on a show!
@erik

I don't understand who is "WE" that decided to keep the 4x4 prelim in after the overwhelming cry and concerns at last years FACA clinic. I thought we were the body of this GREAT sport and that was the forum to get things done. I'm definitely saddened by this. I know there will never be a perfect schedule but let's be fair. I see a lot of different issues that will be a trickle down effect.

For an example: If a school have a 300 hurdler that runs the 200. There is already a lack of recovery time there, now let's add in the 4x4 prelim (by the way I don't have quality depth not to run him), now 300h final, 200 final and let's throw in one more 400. I remember you saying last year Ed waned solutions instead of complaining. My recommendation is to either get rid of it, or move it to early in the morning.

How did Ed come up with only 10%? So out of Approximately 120 schools per classification and only 12 kids ran more that one relay?! Anyways, that's besides the point. My point is these two relays are back to back and now the option to run both is out the window?

Coaches please email Ed your concerns about these issues. This is about our athletes getting the proper recovery to put on a show!
11/26/2019 6:30:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@10206119396772085 The AD’s voted it down 9-1, advisory committee voted it down, as well as the coaches at the FACA Clinic. Instead of brushing down the ride, this should of been amended and NOT put on this DRAFT! Well I hope concerns help push the change this year.
@10206119396772085

The AD's voted it down 9-1, advisory committee voted it down, as well as the coaches at the FACA Clinic. Instead of brushing down the ride, this should of been amended and NOT put on this DRAFT! Well I hope concerns help push the change this year.
11/26/2019 6:33:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Uf Doesn't have adequate spectator seating and parking? Have you not ever been to the Florida Relays? Much bigger than states. 10206119396772085
@Uf Doesn't have adequate spectator seating and parking? Have you not ever been to the Florida Relays? Much bigger than states. 10206119396772085
11/26/2019 6:38:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bing28 Thanks Looking at schedule there’s no way state schedule can be mimicked This will be real interesting to see false starts and so forth at state this year .. the back and forth from field to sprints will be interesting as well
@bing28
Thanks

Looking at schedule there's no way state schedule can be mimicked

This will be real interesting to see false starts and so forth at state this year .. the back and forth from field to sprints will be interesting as well
11/26/2019 6:40:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachCashman The clerking area cannot handle 4 classes .. not the tent or warm up areas ... getting in and out would be a nightmare .. glad the fhsaa went away from the 4 classes in one extravaganza
@CoachCashman

The clerking area cannot handle 4 classes .. not the tent or warm up areas ... getting in and out would be a nightmare .. glad the fhsaa went away from the 4 classes in one extravaganza
11/26/2019 6:55:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mbecker You have a good point there. If they do have 1A and 2A first before 3A and 4A clerking ceases to be an issue. I haven't looked at the schedule yet so I'll withhold comment on the rest of it.
@mbecker

You have a good point there. If they do have 1A and 2A first before 3A and 4A clerking ceases to be an issue. I haven't looked at the schedule yet so I'll withhold comment on the rest of it.
11/26/2019 7:26:49 PM
Power User
Hey guys former MTCCCA president here and Missouri has a better schedule for a two day meet. The boys and girls run only two of the "distance events" on Friday or Saturday. Same with field events and jumps. They tend to be split over two different days for the genders as well. 4x800 relay 110/100 HH 100 Dash 4x200 relay 1600 Run 4x100 relay 400 Dash 300LH 800 Run 200 Dash 3200 Run 4x400 relay
Hey guys former MTCCCA president here and Missouri has a better schedule for a two day meet.

The boys and girls run only two of the "distance events" on Friday or Saturday. Same with field events and jumps. They tend to be split over two different days for the genders as well.
4x800 relay
110/100 HH
100 Dash
4x200 relay
1600 Run
4x100 relay
400 Dash
300LH
800 Run
200 Dash
3200 Run
4x400 relay
11/26/2019 7:33:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachCashman. LOL. Come on Bill. I have been to 47 Florida Relays. How many have you been to? Stadium doesn’t come close to seating what UNF can. It does not the “tent city” capacity. Does not have a full HS schedule. Deals with the 100 and hurdles by alternating on both sides of the track. Doesn’t allow blocks in prelims of 4x100. Parking is crazy. You couldn’t possibly run 4 classes on 2 days there and it be a class event.
@CoachCashman. LOL. Come on Bill. I have been to 47 Florida Relays. How many have you been to? Stadium doesn't come close to seating what UNF can. It does not the "tent city" capacity. Does not have a full HS schedule. Deals with the 100 and hurdles by alternating on both sides of the track. Doesn't allow blocks in prelims of 4x100. Parking is crazy. You couldn't possibly run 4 classes on 2 days there and it be a class event.
11/26/2019 8:23:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Erik I totally agree with you! Last year between boys and girls 14 of the 16 runners did both. Not to mention I have a girl that runs the 200 and 4x800. Now we have to decide which relay to focus on. And why not have the two classes go back to back to give them longer breaks
@Erik I totally agree with you! Last year between boys and girls 14 of the 16 runners did both. Not to mention I have a girl that runs the 200 and 4x800. Now we have to decide which relay to focus on. And why not have the two classes go back to back to give them longer breaks
11/26/2019 9:28:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Add the Race Walk to the meet and you can use it to build in the time needed regardless of scheduling. It also gives athletes another event to excel at, with a different skill set that is currently ignored.
Add the Race Walk to the meet and you can use it to build in the time needed regardless of scheduling. It also gives athletes another event to excel at, with a different skill set that is currently ignored.
11/26/2019 10:04:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Why is there such a big gap between all the field events? That 10% is totally false. I'm a south Florida coach and almost every 4x8 & 4x4 down here has 1 or 2 athletes doubling up on both relays.
Why is there such a big gap between all the field events? That 10% is totally false. I'm a south Florida coach and almost every 4x8 & 4x4 down here has 1 or 2 athletes doubling up on both relays.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.