COVID Procedures
08/30/2020 1:22:59 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
What procedures and protocols will you have in place to protect runners at the meet? Thanks!
What procedures and protocols will you have in place to protect runners at the meet? Thanks!
08/30/2020 3:01:35 PM
Power User
@bemyrick All of those procedures can be found on the event page of my website www.b3rsports.com If you have any questions feel free to email dusty@b3rsports.com
@bemyrick All of those procedures can be found on the event page of my website www.b3rsports.com

If you have any questions feel free to email dusty@b3rsports.com
08/30/2020 3:04:30 PM
Coach
@bemyrick I know Dusty doesn't need my help but as a coach that just put on the AAU JO's and two xc meets the past three weeks, this is getting old. I can't count how many mom's called me from the panhandle to Miami wanting to know what procedures I was putting in place to protect their kids. Here is how you protect them if your that worried, "Stay home." Really, it is the fear driving media making all of you scared and when meet directors work their cans off for your kids you bug them with these questions. I am serious, tell your parents to keep them home if your that worried. That sounds harsh, but put on a meet and deal with this and then you will understand.
@bemyrick I know Dusty doesn't need my help but as a coach that just put on the AAU JO's and two xc meets the past three weeks, this is getting old. I can't count how many mom's called me from the panhandle to Miami wanting to know what procedures I was putting in place to protect their kids. Here is how you protect them if your that worried, "Stay home." Really, it is the fear driving media making all of you scared and when meet directors work their cans off for your kids you bug them with these questions. I am serious, tell your parents to keep them home if your that worried. That sounds harsh, but put on a meet and deal with this and then you will understand.
08/30/2020 3:30:26 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Coach Butler, I'm guessing that you don't have any children running XC this year. A simple fix would be to put a link on the meet page to address the health and safety issues for the "moms" that are concerned. Let's stick with scientific facts, and leave your personal, political opinions out of it.
@coachbutler Coach Butler, I'm guessing that you don't have any children running XC this year. A simple fix would be to put a link on the meet page to address the health and safety issues for the "moms" that are concerned. Let's stick with scientific facts, and leave your personal, political opinions out of it.
08/30/2020 3:33:18 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@HMTDusty Dusty, thanks for the information. I appreciate your quick response and your attention to the health and safety of the kids!
@HMTDusty Dusty, thanks for the information. I appreciate your quick response and your attention to the health and safety of the kids!
08/30/2020 3:34:38 PM
Coach
@bemyrick The info is on his page, and yes my son does run for me. As I said, put on a meet.
@bemyrick The info is on his page, and yes my son does run for me. As I said, put on a meet.
08/30/2020 7:12:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler I love this! I don't think it is political either... I am also putting on a few meets just so the kids can run!!! My protocol will be: 1. Be smart 2. If you are worried, stay home! Oh, I forgot to add (because I know it's coming) I have 2 of my own children running for me.
@coachbutler I love this! I don't think it is political either... I am also putting on a few meets just so the kids can run!!! My protocol will be: 1. Be smart 2. If you are worried, stay home!
Oh, I forgot to add (because I know it's coming) I have 2 of my own children running for me.
08/30/2020 7:20:43 PM
Coach
@bobbylabrant : )
08/31/2020 12:40:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bemyrick "those under the age of 25 are at significantly lower risk of death from COVID-19 than of the flu. For example, school-aged children between 5 and 14 have a 1 in 200,000 chance of dying of influenza, but a 1 in 1.5 million chance of dying of COVID-19." I hope the facts encourages the worried parents out there. By the way, like @coachbutler and @bobbylabrant, I am also a coach and have 3 girls running xc this year:). Source: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics
@bemyrick
"those under the age of 25 are at significantly lower risk of death from COVID-19 than of the flu. For example, school-aged children between 5 and 14 have a 1 in 200,000 chance of dying of influenza, but a 1 in 1.5 million chance of dying of COVID-19."

I hope the facts encourages the worried parents out there. By the way, like @coachbutler and @bobbylabrant, I am also a coach and have 3 girls running xc this year:).

Source: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics
08/31/2020 8:08:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raybfree For the other side of the debate: I am also a coach and have my daughter on my team. Yes, children are at lower risk at showing symptoms, aka getting "sick" from Covid. But they can just as easily be infected by the virus, but be asymptomatic...or look like they are not sick. If they have the virus, and are unaware (why would they get tested if they show no symptoms?), they are still shedding the virus and can pass it on to older individuals (like me) who are more likely to get sick and show symptoms. from CDC website: "the body of evidence is growing that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection (3-7) and, contrary to early reports (11, 12), might play a role in transmission (7, 13, 14)." [url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html#ref13]https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html#ref13[/url] In my opinion and at the very least, a meet host should somehow prevent parents and spectators from gathering near the starting line and especially the finish line area/chute (if there is one). In addition, gathering of parents/spectators in team areas would also be helpful preventing the virus.
@raybfree

For the other side of the debate:

I am also a coach and have my daughter on my team.

Yes, children are at lower risk at showing symptoms, aka getting "sick" from Covid. But they can just as easily be infected by the virus, but be asymptomatic...or look like they are not sick. If they have the virus, and are unaware (why would they get tested if they show no symptoms?), they are still shedding the virus and can pass it on to older individuals (like me) who are more likely to get sick and show symptoms.

from CDC website:

"the body of evidence is growing that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection (3-7) and, contrary to early reports (11, 12), might play a role in transmission (7, 13, 14)."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html#ref13

In my opinion and at the very least, a meet host should somehow prevent parents and spectators from gathering near the starting line and especially the finish line area/chute (if there is one). In addition, gathering of parents/spectators in team areas would also be helpful preventing the virus.
08/31/2020 8:55:43 AM
Coach
@RayRodriguez Ray, I agree, as both our meets we made everyone stay away from the start until the very last minute. We had it very spread out. My problem is that we post this info online, Dusty has it on his website, but we still get at least 100 calls and emails from parents. You don't want to be rude and not respond so you take the time to return the calls and emails and it gets to much. You know how much work it takes to put on a meet. I put in no less than 20 hours last week mowing, painting, measuring and staking the course. Then add in the emails and phone calls. Some people dont get it.
@RayRodriguez Ray, I agree, as both our meets we made everyone stay away from the start until the very last minute. We had it very spread out. My problem is that we post this info online, Dusty has it on his website, but we still get at least 100 calls and emails from parents. You don't want to be rude and not respond so you take the time to return the calls and emails and it gets to much. You know how much work it takes to put on a meet. I put in no less than 20 hours last week mowing, painting, measuring and staking the course. Then add in the emails and phone calls. Some people dont get it.
08/31/2020 9:03:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler You're a better than me. I think I would have drawn the line around 10+ hours!
@coachbutler

You're a better than me. I think I would have drawn the line around 10+ hours!
08/31/2020 10:53:42 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raybfree I'm just really excited that these kids will FINALLY get to race again! Oh, and that I will get to see my t&f BFF again ;-)
@raybfree I'm just really excited that these kids will FINALLY get to race again! Oh, and that I will get to see my t&f BFF again
08/31/2020 11:25:11 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@raybfree I was hoping that this discussion would fade away, and we could just agree to disagree. But, when you base your arguments on "facts" that aren't true, I can't sit back and let you further the spread of disinformation - it's careless and dangerous. While it's true that teenagers are less likely to die from COVID-19, the mortality rate is still significantly higher than seasonal influenza. And, as @RayRodriguez stated, children are still a vector for the transmission of the disease, whether they are symptomatic, or asymptomatic. There's no reason why kids can't compete in cross country this fall, but we have to us common sense and be smart about how meets are run. Here are the facts from the CDC, in case you're interested. If you do the math, you'll see the "facts". Seasonal flu - [url=https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html]https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html[/url] COVID-19 - [url=https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863]https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863[/url]
@raybfree I was hoping that this discussion would fade away, and we could just agree to disagree. But, when you base your arguments on "facts" that aren't true, I can't sit back and let you further the spread of disinformation - it's careless and dangerous. While it's true that teenagers are less likely to die from COVID-19, the mortality rate is still significantly higher than seasonal influenza. And, as @RayRodriguez stated, children are still a vector for the transmission of the disease, whether they are symptomatic, or asymptomatic.

There's no reason why kids can't compete in cross country this fall, but we have to us common sense and be smart about how meets are run.

Here are the facts from the CDC, in case you're interested. If you do the math, you'll see the "facts".

Seasonal flu -
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

COVID-19 -
https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863
08/31/2020 11:32:39 AM
Coach
So 477 deaths from the Flu for those under the age of 18, and 151 deaths for those under the age of 25 for covid-19? Hmmmm
So 477 deaths from the Flu for those under the age of 18, and 151 deaths for those under the age of 25 for covid-19? Hmmmm
08/31/2020 1:21:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler I think this is what he was referring to. "those under the age of 25 are at significantly lower risk of death from COVID-19 than of the flu. For example, school-aged children between 5 and 14 have a 1 in 200,000 chance of dying of influenza, but a 1 in 1.5 million chance of dying of COVID-19." Flu children in US 477 deaths in 11,296,414 symptomatic illnesses = 0.0042% death rate COVID in Florida 7 deaths out of 39,735 total positive tests in children under 17 = 0.017% (I had to hunt for this data) 0.017/0.0042 = 4x greater death rate from COVID.
@coachbutler I think this is what he was referring to.

"those under the age of 25 are at significantly lower risk of death from COVID-19 than of the flu. For example, school-aged children between 5 and 14 have a 1 in 200,000 chance of dying of influenza, but a 1 in 1.5 million chance of dying of COVID-19."

Flu children in US 477 deaths in 11,296,414 symptomatic illnesses = 0.0042% death rate
COVID in Florida 7 deaths out of 39,735 total positive tests in children under 17 = 0.017% (I had to hunt for this data)

0.017/0.0042 = 4x greater death rate from COVID.
08/31/2020 1:38:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bemyrick I'm not sure your disconnect. The source I provided is from the CDC and it was an attempt to pacify you and the worried mothers out there.  In my response there is no mention as to my view as to how we should gather. So your comments of either being political or in my case as careless, is unwarranted.  But since you brought it up, like the others in this chain as well as with you,   I believe that we should utilize both common sense and wisdom in these events. And I believe our hosts have gone through painstaking processes to implement acceptable COVID controls. They should be applauded rather than being accused as political.  As for the concern of transmission of COVID, children have always been a vector of flu like viruses. Although this is the case, unless you or someone you interface within your home does not fall under the high risk categories; respiratory disease, chronic heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, cancer obesity, 70 years+, then all the worried persons out there should be fine. I have entailed a link with a nice chart for you to muse over.  Remember, we are in this together and theses discussions should be encouraging and informative. Good luck to your kids this season. [url=https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/13/covid-risk]https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/13/covid-risk[/url]
@bemyrick
I'm not sure your disconnect. The source I provided is from the CDC and it was an attempt to pacify you and the worried mothers out there.  In my response there is no mention as to my view as to how we should gather.

So your comments of either being political or in my case as careless, is unwarranted. 

But since you brought it up, like the others in this chain as well as with you,   I believe that we should utilize both common sense and wisdom in these events. And I believe our hosts have gone through painstaking processes to implement acceptable COVID controls. They should be applauded rather than being accused as political. 

As for the concern of transmission of COVID, children have always been a vector of flu like viruses. Although this is the case, unless you or someone you interface within your home does not fall under the high risk categories; respiratory disease, chronic heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, cancer obesity, 70 years+, then all the worried persons out there should be fine. I have entailed a link with a nice chart for you to muse over. 

Remember, we are in this together and theses discussions should be encouraging and informative. Good luck to your kids this season.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/13/covid-risk
08/31/2020 1:39:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_JLaFollette or 99.983% survival rate from COVID 99.9958% survival rate from flu
@Coach_JLaFollette
or
99.983% survival rate from COVID
99.9958% survival rate from flu
08/31/2020 4:05:34 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler I want to thank you for your tireless efforts on helping maintain a season for kids all across FL for the past few weeks. I think parents protocols are this. One, if you are super concerned about COVID, then stay home. No one is judging you 2. If you decide to run, bring your own masks and distance appropriately 3. At some point we have to get over this or learn to live with it. But I for one am glad to see Coach Butler put forth an effort to keep the sport alive. This also includes all the other meet directors and volunteers out there. The kids must have some sense of normalcy return to their lives Thank you
@coachbutler I want to thank you for your tireless efforts on helping maintain a season for kids all across FL for the past few weeks.

I think parents protocols are this. One, if you are super concerned about COVID, then stay home. No one is judging you
2. If you decide to run, bring your own masks and distance appropriately

3. At some point we have to get over this or learn to live with it.

But I for one am glad to see Coach Butler put forth an effort to keep the sport alive. This also includes all the other meet directors and volunteers out there. The kids must have some sense of normalcy return to their lives

Thank you
09/01/2020 8:03:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Exactly
@coachbutler
Exactly

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.