OFFICIAL rules for "dropping" events
04/19/2010 6:20:17 PM
User
My coach entered me in an event i don't intend on competing in at all whatsoever (the 1600m if it makes a difference). The race I only plan on running is the 800. I am well aware that I have to show up to the 1600 and check in or face a DQ, but is there certain rules regarding how far into the race i can "drop?" Like the second the gun goes off can I step off the track for instance, or do i need to wait until the break in point, etc. ? thanks a lot for your help!
My coach entered me in an event i don't intend on competing in at all whatsoever (the 1600m if it makes a difference). The race I only plan on running is the 800. I am well aware that I have to show up to the 1600 and check in or face a DQ, but is there certain rules regarding how far into the race i can "drop?" Like the second the gun goes off can I step off the track for instance, or do i need to wait until the break in point, etc. ? thanks a lot for your help!
04/19/2010 6:40:40 PM
User
when i was in high school you had to wait until the break point to drop out... if you are smart i would do that just to avoid any trouble
when i was in high school you had to wait until the break point to drop out... if you are smart i would do that just to avoid any trouble
04/19/2010 9:11:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You can inform the starter that you plan on not finishing the race and then ask him for special instructions what to do .... or just start the race and drop out after everyone goes by you.... near the first turn.
You can inform the starter that you plan on not finishing the race and then ask him for special instructions what to do .... or just start the race and drop out after everyone goes by you.... near the first turn.
04/19/2010 9:25:15 PM
Coach
The starter (FHSAA official) and timer (Steeple) at our district meet told us to make sure the runner started and then came to the scorer's tent to inform them they dropped out, so as to record a DNF instead of a DNS.
The starter (FHSAA official) and timer (Steeple) at our district meet told us to make sure the runner started and then came to the scorer's tent to inform them they dropped out, so as to record a DNF instead of a DNS.
04/21/2010 4:56:02 PM
User
In my opinion it is okay to do this at the District meet, but very unsportsmanlike for a runner to do this or for a coach to advise this at a Region or State meet. The athletes who were 5th at District or Region would love to compete at the next level, so if you don't plan on racing at the next level you shouldn't DNF and deprive a runner who would want so much to be there. When I was in high school I could have placed in both the mile and 2-mile at Region, but knew my best chance at State was to do th two-mile fresh. So, I only ran the 2-mile at GMAC Conference and District.
In my opinion it is okay to do this at the District meet, but very unsportsmanlike for a runner to do this or for a coach to advise this at a Region or State meet. The athletes who were 5th at District or Region would love to compete at the next level, so if you don't plan on racing at the next level you shouldn't DNF and deprive a runner who would want so much to be there. When I was in high school I could have placed in both the mile and 2-mile at Region, but knew my best chance at State was to do th two-mile fresh. So, I only ran the 2-mile at GMAC Conference and District.
04/21/2010 7:10:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Another change to consider - a time frame for a declaration or intent - if a runner decides to drop - alllow the fifth place runner to advance if notification given within 24-48 hours - then no one has to step off. (similar to college)
Another change to consider - a time frame for a declaration or intent - if a runner decides to drop - alllow the fifth place runner to advance if notification given within 24-48 hours - then no one has to step off. (similar to college)
04/22/2010 10:32:04 AM
User
The declaration of intent would be a perfect solution as it allows for a team to get the points you score, allows you to run both events and allows the 5th place finsher to advance - a win, win, win. It is my understanding that this has been suggested and proposed to the FHSAA in the past but was not approved. maybe it is time to get a groundswell of support behind this idea.
The declaration of intent would be a perfect solution as it allows for a team to get the points you score, allows you to run both events and allows the 5th place finsher to advance - a win, win, win. It is my understanding that this has been suggested and proposed to the FHSAA in the past but was not approved. maybe it is time to get a groundswell of support behind this idea.
04/22/2010 10:58:13 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I'm all for this but realize it comes with baggage as well. Gary please check your PM's. DB
I'm all for this but realize it comes with baggage as well. Gary please check your PM's.

DB
04/22/2010 1:09:22 PM
Coach
[quote=garycohenrunning]In my opinion it is okay to do this at the District meet, but very unsportsmanlike for a runner to do this or for a coach to advise this at a Region or State meet.[/quote] I'll take the other side. It's a stupid rule to MAKE someone run an event they have no intent on running, so I'm fine with not running at Region or State. Of course, the right thing to do is get rid of the rule and let people drop after the qualifying meet, so the 5th placer can move on.
garycohenrunning wrote:
In my opinion it is okay to do this at the District meet, but very unsportsmanlike for a runner to do this or for a coach to advise this at a Region or State meet.

I'll take the other side. It's a stupid rule to MAKE someone run an event they have no intent on running, so I'm fine with not running at Region or State. Of course, the right thing to do is get rid of the rule and let people drop after the qualifying meet, so the 5th placer can move on.
04/22/2010 2:30:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Tough call. What I've seen happen (more than once)is a good runner that can qualify in 3 events for Regional (and get valuable points for team at District meet), but realizes at Regional meet their best chance of advancing to State Meet is on "fresh legs" in 1 or 2 of the events, so they DNF in the one they feel weakest in. If you take a look at a tough Region, you will usually see more than 1 DNF in some races. I actually saw a couple last night at a District meet.
Tough call. What I've seen happen (more than once)is a good runner that can qualify in 3 events for Regional (and get valuable points for team at District meet), but realizes at Regional meet their best chance of advancing to State Meet is on "fresh legs" in 1 or 2 of the events, so they DNF in the one they feel weakest in. If you take a look at a tough Region, you will usually see more than 1 DNF in some races. I actually saw a couple last night at a District meet.
04/22/2010 2:40:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The idea of forfeiting one's spot to allow a lesser competitor in is debatable.. What is not debatable, and is outright dumb is making kids start a race and jog 20 meters before dropping out. It is a farce. Last year in a region 400 final (fast heat) three kids pulled out after the first curve.... when the other runners saw this they mistakenly thought there must have been a false start and stopped also... leaving 1 runner running around the second curve. He ran 250 meters and then he was called back. Then a heat with 4 runners was run. Of all the easy rules to fix, this is the easiest. Just have them report to the clerk and pull out. This would also work for the athlete who is truly hurt and trying to get it together for one last try somewhere..
The idea of forfeiting one's spot to allow a lesser competitor in is debatable.. What is not debatable, and is outright dumb is making kids start a race and jog 20 meters before dropping out. It is a farce.

Last year in a region 400 final (fast heat) three kids pulled out after the first curve.... when the other runners saw this they mistakenly thought there must have been a false start and stopped also... leaving 1 runner running around the second curve. He ran 250 meters and then he was called back. Then a heat with 4 runners was run. Of all the easy rules to fix, this is the easiest. Just have them report to the clerk and pull out. This would also work for the athlete who is truly hurt and trying to get it together for one last try somewhere..

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.