The regular season has ended and we've entered into District week. There will be a lot of teams and individuals moving on to Region next week, so there is not not likely to be a lot of peak performances from the top teams and individuals this week. Either way, here's what the pollsters have to say...
GIRLS STATE RANKINGS
1A Girls Rankings
By Sue O'Malley (FLCHS) firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: Oak Hall remains the #1 team rankings for this #5 rankings! Miami Country Day School makes a three-spot jump. International Community School makes school history by breaking into the top 15 with their #15 spot these rankings! District week is here and sure to be exciting one! The most exciting match up will take place on Saturday with Oak Hall and Father Lopez going head to head for the first time this season! Six points separates the two for the win! The most competitive district will be District 4. In the top 17 teams in the rankings 4 of them are in this district!
T'was the Night Before Post Season
'Twas the night before post season and the district meet, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stopwatches were hung by the locker with care,
In hopes that State champions would soon be there;
The athletes were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of district championships danced in their heads;
and I in my Wonder woman and cap,
just settled down for the last October's nap,
When out on the course there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to my car I flew like a flash,
Tore open the gate and almost pulled a hami as if I ran a 100meter dash.
The moon on the breast of the freshly groomed sand
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects near the grandstand,
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature gator and eight tiny distance runners came near,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than Usain Bolt his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
"Now tempo! Now, 1000's! Now, Mile Repeats and Hills!
On, Recovery, on! On Long runs and Rest!
To the top of the podium! To the top of the record board!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away and soar!"
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the roof-top the coursers they flew,
With the gator full of trophies, and St. Nicholas too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the course
The prancing and the stopwatches each little tick.
As I drew in my head and was turning around,
Down the starting line area St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to Brooks training shoes,
And his clothes were all tarnished with sand and dew;
A bundle of medals he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a freshman just begging to get on his track.
His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
Best wishes for all the teams these next couple of weeks!
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Comments
1. (3) Oak Hall= 19:41. The Golden Eagles have dropped their team average by 9 seconds. The team ran 11th in the elite division at the Pre state meet last weekend! They will be the favorite in District 3 this upcoming weekend. They will have the toughest district challenge to face with Father Lopez right on their wings.
2. (2) Circle Christian=19:33. The Centurions drop their team average by5 second! The centurions looked very tough at Pre-State last weekend finishing 6th in the Elite race. The Centurions have a 61-point spread in district 4 over the Vikings of Lakeland Christian.
3. (3) Cambridge Christian School = 19:36 team average. Drop of 9 seconds in team average these rankings. Cambridge finished 8th in the Elite race at Pre-State. Look for them to win the school's first district title in D5 this weekend over Shorecrest Prep by 41 points!
4. (4) Father Lopez=Team average of 20:01. The Green Wave team is hungry and ready! The team placed 4th at the Disney race last weekend and top Florida school. It should be one exciting race this Saturday against Oak Hall!
5. (5) Maclay= Team average 20:27. The Marauders dropped 7 seconds in team average by placing 21st in the Select Race at Pre state. The Maurauders will easily win the D2 title over Providence this week by at least 39 points. This team has won an unbelievable # of district titles. Keep it rolling ladies!
6. (7) Lakeland Christian=21:01. Team average drops by 9 seconds and moves up 1 spot for the Vikings. The Vikings placed 3rd at the Polk County HS Championships last weekend. The Vikings will have to hold off Holy Trinity for the district D4runner up trophy. The Vikings have 4 points on HT.
7. (8) Holy Trinity=Team average 21:08. Team finished 26th at he pre state select race last weekend. They will be challenged by the Vikings for the runner up trophy in D4 this week.
8. (6) Shorecrest Prep=21:10. The Lightning Bolt team bolted their way to a 2nd place finish at the Clearwater Catholic XC Championships last weekend. They should finish 2nd to Cambridge this week in the D5 District Meet.
9. (12) Miami Country Day School=Team average 21:17. Team dropped their team average by 30 seconds and moved up 3 spots in these rankings! This team is hot right now! They won both the Celtic Invitational and the MCD Fast times this past week. They will be the favorite to win the D8 title this week and may even have a perfect score of 15!
10. (9) Canterbury School (Ft.) Myers)= Team average of 21:12. Team finished 2nd last weekend at the Celtic Catholic Invitational to Miami Country day. At the Lely Invitational the team placed 5th this weekend. D6 will certainly be another exciting race between Canterbury and Out of Door. Nine points separates the two teams.
11. (10) Out of the Door Academy=Team average of 21:56. Let's see what door this team will thunder out of this week in District 6!
12. (11) Providence= Team average of 21:56. The Stallions finished 4th last weekend at the B3R Sports invitational. The stallions should finish 2nd at the D2 District meet this week behind Maclay.
13. (15) The Geneva School=22:00 average. The Knights have sliced their team average time by 36 seconds! The Knights finished 2nd in the Varsity Race at Pre State last weekend. They are in a very tough disitrct-D4 but will easily advance to the Region Meet.
14. (14) Baker Senior High School=21:53. The team finished 7th at Disney on Friday the 11th in the 1A race. This team has some close competition in the D1 Meet this week. Four points separates them from Pensacola Christian for the D1 Title.
15. (NR) International Community School=21:59 team average. This program has come along way! Welcome to the family! ICS raced to their new team average last weekend at the Matanzas Free Meet. This team will take their Blue and Gold jerseys for the ride of their life this week in the D4 Meet. They will move on to the Region Meet.
Other teams to watch out for:
Bell Creek (District 5), City of Life Christian School (District 4), St. Joseph Academy (District 2) and The First Academy (District 4)
Commentary: Here are the #5 season pre-district rankings! "It really gets grim until the competition begins. You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement." Best wishes for all athletes to have one amazing post season! All 15 girls and all of the girls to watch are all under the 20:00 barrier! There will be a lot of head to head for the first time in this group too as we enter our post season!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (2) Sinkenesh Parker (11)-Circle Christian=18:15. New PR for Sinkenesh at Pre-State last weekend! Sinkenesh placed 11th overall in the Elite race at Pre-State. She is a class above the rest right now! She will be the favorite to win D4 Title this week! This could be her 3rd straight title.
2. (1) Jessica Edwards, (11) Canterbury Ft. Meyers=18:24.6 Jessica placed 1st at the Celtic Catholic Championships last weekend. Jessica will go for the win and not settle for two 2nd places in the past two seasons.
3. (7) Elaina Black, (6)-Cambridge Christian=18:36. Elaina drops her PR by 28 seconds! This young lady has had one incredible season. She ran her new PR this past Tuesday at the Hillsborough County XC Championships! Can she keep it rolling to win her first district title in D5?
4. (3) Laci Watford, (10)-University Christian=18:46.2. Laci another young lady that has kept it rolling all season. Laci jumps up 4 spots in these rankings. Laci finished 31st in the elite race last weekend at Pre-State with a 18:59. She will be the favorite again to win her 2nd straight D2 Title this week. She set her all time PR last season at the D2 meet with a 18:26.
5. (8) Lauren Jones, (10)-Oak Hall=18:55. Lauren ran this time to place 28th in the Elite race at Pre state. Lauren is the defending champion in her district.
6. (4) Claire McDonnell, (12)-Father Lopez= 19:01. Watch for this young lady go after a district title next Saturday in the D3 Meet. Claire finished 2nd overall last Friday night at the Disney Classic 1A Division.
7. (5) Lydia Friedman, (12)- Cambridge Christian=19:02. Lydia will be a strong contender for a D5title. She was a runner up district champion in 2017.
8. (6) Samatha Gayton, (12)-Father Lopez=19:02. This young lady will definitely be one to watch next Saturday at the D3 Meet. She is ready for a big race. Samantha placed 6th last weekend at the Disney race. She was leading the race when she got spiked and fell but got back up to race!
9. (10) Ella Porcher, Maclay=19:28. Ella finished 10th in the Select Race at Pre state to run 19:28. Ella won the District title last year at their district meet. Can she make it 2 in a row?
10. (9) Lauren McGaffic,(9)-Miami Country Day=19:33. Lauren will be the favorite to win her 4th straight District title this week.
11. (13) Anna Grace Fagot, (10)-Circle Christian=19:35. Anna ran her 19:35 to finish45th in the Elite race at Pre-State. She drops her time by 7 seconds! 19:35 is her new All -time PR. Ana will look to improve on her 9th place finish last year at her district meet.
12. (11) Katie Beam, (9) First Baptist Academy=19:37. Katie finished 3rd overall last weekend at the Celtic Catholic Championships. Katie won her district meet last season. Katie will vie for a district title in D6 with Jessica Edwards.
13. (14) Brooke MCewen, (12)- Circle Christian=19:41. Brooke looks like she is slowly making her way back into the pack here. Brooke finished 49th in the Elite race at Pre-State. She should finish 3rd overall in the D4 Race this week.
14. (12) Harrison Grooms, (11)-Oak Hall= 19:42. Harrison is ranked 4th in the D3 Race this weekend.
15. (NR)Cecily Anderton, (9)-Florida HEAT=19:46. This is a new All-time PR. Cecily placed 12th at the Select race at Pre-State last weekend. Cecily finished 2nd in her district last season and will be the favorite to win her first district title D7 this week.
Other individuals to watch out for:
Moriah Friedman (Cambridge Christian), Mary Peck (FLOP), Gabby
Auliso (Oak Hall), Sydney Miller (Oak Hall), Ally Means (Oak Hall) and Brooke
Demon (International Community School)
2A Girls Rankings
by Patrick Skipper, Weeki Wachee High School (email@example.com)
Commentary by Dylan Hermelee, Carrollton School
Commentary: Again, Dylan and I were very close on our Team and Individual Rankings -- but remember: "For Entertainment Purposes Only"! The second season has started…Best of luck at District Meets!!
Rank. School = Comments
1. Pine Crest - Seemed to win FSU pretty easily. Can't find a reason to move them out of the top spot.
2. Bolles - Ran very well at the Manhattan HS Invite. It was only a 4k, so it's difficult to compare times, but their 2nd place showing in NYC holds them steady at #2.
3. Montverde Academy -- Ran short handed at FSU last week, so I'm not ready to move them out of the 3rd spot on a weekend they were without their #1 runner.
4. King's Academy -- Huge performance by King's at FSU by winning the Select Race. Avery Fronrath was also the individual champion. They looked poised to make a run at a top 3 spot in the state.
5. St Brendan -- 2nd place in the Select Division at FSU and 1st place at the Lely Trojan invite to defeat Lourdes. They also look poised to move up into the top 3.
6. Satellite -- Did not race FSU and finished 2nd at their country championships. Still unsure if they are a top 5 squad.
7. Gulliver Prep -- Looked great at FSU. Their #1 runner and recent UM commitment ran in the ROC race while her teammates ran in the Select division. If you move Natalie to the Select race Gulliver finishes near the top.
8. Trinity Prep -- Didn't have a tremendous showing at FSU, but did enough to stay put based on their season performances.
9. Bishop Kenny -- Defeated Trinity Prep at FSU, but not by a large margin. They sit firmly in the top 10.
10 Bishop Verot -- Lost to Miami Country Day at Celtic invite on a day MCD didn't have their #1 runner. I'm still on the fence, but they stay in the top 10.
11. Academy of Holy Names -- Similar situation as Gulliver at FSU, but finish 5 spots behind Gulliver at FSU.
12. South Walton Beach -- Won the B3R Sports Invite and looked strong in the process.
13. Carrollton School -- Stays at 13 in the rankings. Finished 3rd at a much slower Disney Classic and was not defeated by any Florida Schools at the meet.
14. Berkeley Prep -- Ran well at FSU, but didn't quite do enough to move in the rankings.
15. Episcopal School of Jax - Fast times at FSU, but again not fast enough to change their rankings.
17. Cardinal Gibbon
18. PK Young
19. Lake Highland
20. Cardinal Mooney
Commentary: Here are the individual state rankings!
Rank. Name (Grade) -- School = Comments
1) Tsion Yared (12) - Pine Crest -- Holds strong at #1
2) Emily Faulhaber (12) - Pine Crest -- 5th at FSU keeps her #1 ranking
3) Eleanor Tymorek (11) - St Andrews -- Big win at the Palm Beach Country Championships. Looks to compete for a state title.
4) Maya Beleznay (12) - Pine Crest- 18th at FSU, and stays put.
5) Elizabeth Csikai (9) - Bolles -- 13th in Manhattan, but it was a 4k so the ranking stays the same.
6) Lily Henne (10) - Montverde -- DNR
7) Maxine Montoya (11) -Bolles -- 19th in Manhattan
8) Billie Castillo (12) - Titusville -- 16th at FSU
9) Megan Houghes (12) -- Holy Names -- 20th at FSU and makes a big jump in the rankings.
10) Ella Mickler (9) - Bolles -- 17th in Manhattan
11) Natalie Varela (12) - Gulliver -- Did not run well at FSU, but has a history of top 10 finishes, so don't count this UM commit out.
11) Layne Rivera (11) - Bolles - Mahdere Yared (11) - Pine Crest -- 26th at FSU
12) Avery Fronrath (8)- King's Academy -- Won the FSU Select Race
13) Riley Jaszczak (10) - Titusville -- 6th in the Select Race at FSU
15) Layne Rivera (11) - Bolles -- 33rd in Manhattan
16) Leah Pelham (12) - Paxon School -- Gateway Conference Champion
17) Emma Lorey (12) -- Bishop Moore -- Best Community Champion
18) Emma Hencock (9) - St Brendan -- 5th at FSU
19) Cristal Gomez (11) -- Frostproof -- Polk County Champion
20) Isabella Pawloski (11) -- Calvary Christian Clearwater
3A Girls Rankings
By Ghost Writer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: I love this time of year...it's where the rubber meets the road (um, I mean, cross country course)! All the miles, repeats, intervals, and rest days will come together for many magical performances...where will your school land when the dust settles?
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Comments
1. (2) St. Augustine HS- The top 3A school in the FSU Elite race, finishing in 10th with an impressive 19:43 average at ARP. I like their chances...this team has been the most consistent across the entire body of work.
2. (10) Leon HS- The hometown team showed up HUGE at FSU, finishing 15th behind St. Augustine in the FSU Elite race with a 20:04 average. These girls are young and on the hunt for a podium finish.
3. (3) Sunlake HS- Unfortunately, we didn't get to see these girls on the big stage last weekend at FSU, but they finished ahead of Robinson at their early District meet!
4. (4) Robinson HS- 20:07 team average at FSU to finish 18th just behind Leon in the elite race.
5. (5) Fort Myers HS- The Green Wave girls ran a 20:09 team average at FSU, finishing in 20th.
6. (7) Winter Springs HS- Led by an impressive 18:02 by Caroline Wells at FSU
7. (6) Osceola HS- Did not see this team at FSU
8. (1) Harmony HS- Team average of 20:15 and the big win in the Orange Belt Conference with a 20:44 avg./18 points! These girls will be exciting to watch during the state series. I could see them moving up in head-to-head.
9. (8) Estero HS- 20:19 team average with a 1:52 split
10. (9) Ponte Vedra HS- 20:47 in the Select race at FSU; these girls will be ready for the state series.
11. (11) Dillard HS- Ranked first in 3A D7 and 3A R4; ready to see these girls in head to head competition
12. (14) Fort Walton Beach HS- Posted a 20:51 team average in the FSU Select race
13. (12) Naples HS- Won the CCAC and finished 4th at Disney with a 21:24 average; will step up to the competition
14. (13) Braden River HS- Ran 21:18 without Grace in the FSU Select race
15. (16) Mitchell HS- 20:40 team average
16. (19) Matanzas HS- 20:59 team average
17. (17) Cape Coral HS- Won the Viking Invite with a 21:16 team average
18. (18) Choctawhatchee HS- Holding strong with a 21:10 FSU
19. (15) St. Petersburg HS- 48 second 1-5 split puts these girls in the top 20
20. (NR) Brandon HS- 21:29 team average
Commentary: FSU brought fast times by many new faces, as well as the usual suspects! Super-exciting to see these girls stepping up to the competition!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade -- School = Comments
1. (1) Stephy Ormsby, 12- Fort Myers = 17:46 at FSU
2. (3) Caroline Wells,10 - Winter Springs = 18:02 at FSU
3. (2) Valerie Lastra, 12- Mater Academy = did not compete; healthy according to Coach Parker
4. (7) Reilly Barber, 10- St. Augustine = HUGE PR of 18:24 at FSU
5. (8) Meadow Millett, 11- Mitchell = 18:44 at FSU; Steady improvement!
6. (17) Kana Kosaka, 9 -- Robinson = 18:51 at FSU!!
7. (4) Kambry Smith, 11- Fort Walton Beach = 18:56 at FSU
8. (6) Liina Winborn, 12- Sunlake = Consistent the last two weeks, 18:51/18:55
9. (9) Hannah Martin, 12- South Fork = 19:01 at FSU, with steady improvements over last 3 meets
10. (5) Taylor Stone, 12- Osceola = 19:20 at FLRunners; she will be ready for the state series
11. (NR) Madison Niederriter, 12- St. Augustine = 19:06 at FSU
12. (NR) Mia Perez, 12- Estero = Big performance at FSU with a 19:10!
13. (10) Avery Calabro, 11- Leon = 19:16 at FSU
14. (16) Ani Veltcheva, 10- Gainesville = 19:17 at FSU
15. (12) Ellie Fluman, 12- St. Augustine = 19:21 at FSU
16. (NR) Alanie Rivera, 10 -- Harmony = 19:19 at Orange Belt Conference
17.(15) Brooke Mullins, 11- Harmony = 19:25 at the Orange Belt Conference
18. (NR) Ashton Rainey, 10 -- Robinson = 19:38 at FSU
19. (16) Christiana Coleman, 8 -- Dillard = 18:42 (3 mile) at City of Ft. Lauderdale Championship
20. (NR) Lillian Unger, 11- Leon = 19:44 at FSU
21. (NR) Sarah Schultz, 12- Fort Myers = 19:50 at FSU
22. (NR) Killian Morgan, 11- Mitchell = 19:50 at FSU
23. (NR) Lily Moore, 9- Leon = 19:53 at FSU
24. (NR) Ashley Fitzgerald, 8 -- American Heritage = 19:30 at the 305 Classic
25. (19) Kamari Dawn, 11- Rockledge = 20:00 at Conference meet
Other individuals to watch out for:
(NR) Kya Cadieu, 12 -- Auburndale = 19:54 at Windermere
(13) Elayna Blair, 12- Winter Springs = 20:55 at FSU
(NR) Lillee Tang, 9 -- Leon = 20:04 at FSU
(NR) Chloe Fernander, 10- Choctawhatchee = 20:02 at FSU
4A Girls Rankings
by Ryan Raposo, Florida National University, email@example.com
Mini Raposo Rant: I'm not doing a traditional Pre-District Ranking like I've done in the past. With 10 teams qualifying in each District, that means 80 teams will be Regional qualifiers. Out of the 146 schools in 4A Girls, that's 55% of all teams are automatically qualifying, and that's assuming all 146 are actually fielding teams. But do you know how many schools actually fielded a team in 4A Girls last year? 96. 96 out of ~146! (~ because there were some reclassifications). That means that ~50 schools did not field teams, and it's safe to guesstimate that this year will be similar. So, using last year's numbers, let's turn that 55% base figure into 83%, which is what percentage of teams will advance to Region this year. 83%!
Unfortunately, Region meets have essentially become an all-comers affair. And let's not forget that 40% of Region teams will be advancing to State as well. The whole thing is ridiculous to me, but I guess that's how this new generation works. If you can field 5 girls on a team, you only have to be better than two-thirds of the competition and you can qualify to the State Championship. Sigh... Now for actual commentary.
Commentary: Almost everyone went head-to-head at FSU which makes the rankings a bit easier. However, the more I think about it, there are many more factors that will come into play once State rolls around. While you'll have to add in the top teams that did not compete at FSU (Spanish River and George Jenkins), and obviously remove all of the teams from other divisions (1A-2A-3A), what will matter even more is adding all of the new 7th and 8th place qualifying teams from each Region. FSU Elite only had 25 teams racing, however 4A State will have 7 additional teams, all of which will add an additional 7 runners which will stagger into other squads. This really shouldn't affect the teams aiming for the podium (Newsome, Plant, maybe Chiles?), because their scorers should be way ahead of those newcomers, but that's not the case for everyone. What this boils down to is spread.
For those teams dealing with larger spreads, or inconsistent performers in the back half of their varsities, adding in new teams could easily add a few dozen points to their team score (Chiles, Creekside, George Jenkins, etc.). That being said, the teams with tighter spreads will continue to look better and better once State rolls around (Sarasota, Mandarin, Braddock, Lourdes). The question then becomes, which podium team has the best 5th, or even 6th and 7th, runners? And which teams with pack squads can tighten it up and move up together to make the top 5? Okay, that's enough typing. Here are the rankings...
Rank. (Previous Rank) School, Region = Comments
1. (5) Newsome, R2 = Huge jump to the top ranking after they finished as runner-up at FSU Elite with a 19:23 team avg and 1:46 spread. The biggest part of their success comes from their 4-5 PRing by 35s and 67s respectively. With their spread dropping over 40s, these Wolves can now truly fight for the top of the podium.
2. (2) Chiles, R1 = Finished 4th at FSU Elite with a 19:11 team avg and a 2:56 spread. PRs by 1-2-3-5-6-7 with #4 running her best race in 3 years. The only thing keeping them from the top spot is the larger spread, more specifically the gap between their 4th and 5th runners. Tighten that up and the podium is theirs.
3. (1) HB Plant, R2 = Finished 5th at FSU Elite with a 19:32 team avg and a 1:34 spread. Only their #5 and #6 runners ran PRs and their #7 did not race. Keep in mind the database still has them ranked 2nd based on Season Best performances and getting beat by two 4A teams should do nothing but motivate them to fight harder.
4. (BOLO) Sarasota, R2 = Finished 7th at FSU Elite with a 19:53 team avg and an impressive 35s spread. Very big bump for the Sailors this week as their #3-4-5 all ran PRs by 9s, 36s, and 7s respectively. While they get the nod this week, keep in mind that the two schools below them have better SB team averages and spreads.
5. (8) Mandarin, R1 = Finished 9th at FSU Elite with a 19:59 team avg and an impressive 37s spread. PRs by #4 and #5 help the Mustangs move up a few spots in the rankings. However, even with the strong pack, their upward mobility will be limited without stronger front runners, similar to Sarasota and Braddock.
6. (3) Braddock, R4 = Finished 12th at FSU Elite with a 20:01 team avg and an impressive 35s spread. A PR by their #2 and SB by their 4-5 help the Bulldogs continue fighting for a top 5 slot; similar to those ranked above them. However, just as mentioned above, without a top runner, they'll stay middle of the top ten pack.
7. (BOLO) Lourdes, R4 = Finished 13th at FSU Elite with a 20:02 team avg and a tight 42s spread. A strong performance for the Bobcats who were initially listed for the Select race, they had a strong showing as their #1-4-5-6-7 all ran PRs. If the pack continues to work together, they have a shot at top 5 come seasons end.
8. (BOLO) Lakewood Ranch, R2 = Finished 14th at FSU Elite with a 19:51 team avg and a 2:31 spread. Their #1-2-5 ran PRs, #4 ran a SB and #3 missed her PR by only 1 second. It is the best the Mustangs have looked at season, but they're still on the bottom half of the top ten due to their large team spread.
9. (7) Fleming Island, R1 = Finished 17th at FSU Elite with a 20:07 team avg and a 1:43 spread, without their #3 and #5, although #6 and #7 had solid performances.
10. (BOLO) Spanish River, R3 = Breezed through the Boca Raton City Championship two weeks ago and got the win at the speedy Palm Beach County Championship with a 20:03 team avg and 1:53 spread. The biggest performance was the 45s PR by their #2, helping push their team into this week's top ten.
Teams to watch (in no particular order):
(4) Creekside, R1 = Finished 19th at FSU Elite with a 20:13 team avg and a 3:19 spread, without their #4 and #6, and their #5 and #7 did not have good performances compared to the previous week. Inconsistency hurts.
(6) George Jenkins, R2 = Won the Polk County Championship with a 20:39 team avg and 2:21 spread although their #1 cruised and their #4 DNR. They drop a bit due to many stellar FSU performances.
(9) Winter Park, R3 = Finished 23rd at FSU Elite with a 20:23 team avg and a 1:57 spread; PRs by #5-6-7 helps bring in the pack, but not the overall team ranking this week.
(10) Timber Creek, R3 = Finished 16th at FSU Elite with a 19:57 team avg and a 2:35 spread. No PRs in their top 5, but their #1-3-5 all ran SBs.
(NR) Viera, R3 = Finished 22nd at FSU Elite with a 20:28 team avg and a 2:22 spread; PRs by #2 and #4. They also won the Cape Coast Conference with a 20:51 team avg and 1:51 spread.
(BOLO) Niceville, R1 = Finished 3rd at FSU Select with a 20:24 team avg and a 1:54 spread; PR by #4.
(NR) Oviedo, R1 = Finished 4th at FSU Select with a 20:33 team avg and a 1:35 spread; PRs by #1-2.
(NR) Buchholz, R1 = Finished 5th at FSU Select with a 20:36 team avg and a 1:34 spread; PRs by #1-3.
Commentary: The majority of the performances here are from FSU a couple of weeks ago. There was some slight shifting, but nothing too major. To make top 20 at state this season, it looks like you'll have to break 19:00. Definitely a fast group this year. Good at District everyone!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (1) Alyssa Hendrix, 12 - Riverview = Won FSU Elite with a 17:31, followed by an 18:14 to win the Hillsborough County Championship.
2. (5) Alyson Churchill, 12 - Chiles = Finished 4th at FSU Elite with a PR of 17:51.
3. (4) Caitlin Wilkey, 11 - Chiles = Finished 6th at FSU Elite with a PR of 17:54.
4. (2) Parker Valby, 12 - East Lake = Won the Pinellas County Conference Meet with an 18:24 and a 1:19 margin of victory. Congrats on committing to UF!
5. (7) Amber Schulz, 10 - Timber Creek = Finished 10th at FSU Elite with an 18:09.
6. (11) Jessica Neal, 10 - Lakewood Ranch = Finished 12th at FSU Elite with a PR of 18:09.
7. (12) Krystal Rodriguez, 11 - Coral Reef = Finished 14th at FSU Elite with a PR of 18:09.
8. (9) Jacquelyn Abanses, 11 - Steinbrenner = Finished 15th at FSU Elite with an 18:09; 4s off her PR.
9. (3) Caroline Lehman, 10 - Manatee = IDLE.
10. (19) Keleigh Scallon, 11 - Newsome = Finished 19th at FSU Elite with an 18:30; 10s off her PR.
11. (17) Elizabeth Iliff, 11 - Creekside = Finished 21st at FSU Elite with an 18:32.
12. (6) Mary Ellen Eudaly, 10 - HB
Plant = Finished 22nd at FSU Elite with an 18:34, followed by a cruising
performance of 19:56 at Hillsborough County.
13. (8) Ashley Klingenberg, 12 - Lake Brantley = IDLE.
14. (10) Rylee Pustilnik, 12 - Spanish River = Runner-up at Palm Beach County Championship with an 18:53. Congrats on committing to UF!
15. (18) Emma Solis, 12 - Newsome = Finished 24th at FSU Elite with a PR of 18:45.
16. (16) Emma Noel, 11 - Winter Park = Finished 29th at FSU Elite with an 18:55; 8s off her PR.
17. (NR) Mei Chang, 10 - Fleming Island = Finished 30th at FSU Elite with an 18:56; 4s off her PR.
18. (NR) Lillian Holtery, 11 - Niceville = Finished 3rd at FSU Select with an 18:59.
19. (NR) Blake Petrick, 11 - Creekside = Finished 32nd at FSU Elite with a 19:02; 7s off her PR.
20. (13) Arlie Rubin, 10 - Plant = Finished 33rd at FSU Elite with a 19:03, followed by a cruising performance of 20:52 at Hillsborough County.
Other individuals to watch out for:
(14) Alica Ruiz, 11 - George Jenkins = Cruised 21:01 at Polk County.
(15) Ariana Jimenez, 12 - Apopka = IDLE.
(20) Anna Sentner, 12 - George Jenkins = 19:15 at Polk County.
BOYS STATE RANKINGS
1A Boys Rankings
by Paul Opitz, Out of Door Academy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Commentary: Seffner Christian is looking tough to beat heading into the final 3 races, with another strong race in Tallahassee.
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Comments
1. (1) Seffner Christian Academy = 16th elite div avg 16:45
2. (2) Oak Hall = ran split team at pre-state
Close battle for third right now it's…
3. (4) Maclay School = ran split team at pre-state
4. (3) Cambridge Christian = ran split team at pre-state
5. (5) Mt Dora Christian Academy = took 4th in v a div at pre-state avg 17:49
6. (6) Indian Rocks Christian = won the CCC invite avg 18:45
7. (10) St. Francis Catholic HS = 6th in va div at pre-state avg 17:59
8. (7) Circle Christian Academy = won district 4 race at Holloway Park avg 18:28
9. (12) Lakeland Christian School = 2nd at dist 4 avg 18:52
10. (15) Marco Island Charter = 2nd Lely Invite 18:41 avg
11. (8) Southwest Florida Christian Academy = 4th Lely Invite avg 19:16
12. (9) Father Lopez Catholic = 2nd at Trinity Prep race avg 19:05
Others to watch for:
(11) St Stephens, (BOLO) Pensacola Christian Academy, (13) OUT of DOOR ACADEMY, (14) St. Johns Country Day School
Commentary: The gap is closing at for the top spot, after a very close and competitive Pre -State race.
Rank. Name, Grade, School = Comments
1. (1) Junious Brown, 12, Maclay = 4th in the elite div 15:28
2. (4) Reed Legg, 12, Cambridge Christian = 7th in elite div 15:35
3. (2) Austin Motini, 11, Oak Hall = 8th in elite div 15:36
4. (3) Matthew Stratton, 10, St John Country Day = ran sub 16 at the Bobcat Classic in Santa Fee
5. (6) John Mckenzie, 12, Seffner Christian Academy = 22nd in elite div at pre-state in 15:59
6. (5) Joseph Anderton, 12, South Florida Heat = 34th in elite div at pre-state in 16:13
7. (7) Jonathan Pitchford, 11, Marathon = won fast times invite in Miami in 17:15
8. (8) Adam Nipper, 11, Seffner Christian Academy = 35th in elite div at pre-state in 16:15
9. (9) Seth Martinez- Lakeland Christian = 4th at the Polk county Championships in 16:38
10. (BOLO) Xander Peacock, 12, Blounstown = ran a 16:31 select div at pre-state
11. (11) Riley Noveck, 09, Mt Dora Christian Academy = 4th v-div 16:49 pre-state
12. (10) Paul Mckenzie, 12, Seffner Christian Academy = 16:57 pre-state
13. (NR) George Stark, 10, Palmer Trinity = won 305 classic in Miami in 16:58
14. (16) Tristan McWilliam, 10, OUT OF DOOR ACADEMY = won Manatee Invite in 16:39, for second win of the season.
15. (19) Caden Montini, 09, Oak Hall = 17:05 pre-state
16. (18) Asher Dorbin, 10, Oak Hall = 17:05 pre-state
17. (12) Jack DeJesus, 09, Circle Christian Academy = 17:05 pre-state
Other individuals to watch out for (in no particular order):
(13) Tom Valente, 12, Mt Dora Christian Academy
(14) Phillip Henderson, Admiral Farragut
(15) Ethan Tank, 11, Southwest Florida Christian Academy
(17) Michael Thomas, 10, St. Stephens Episcopal
(20) Mateo Luna, 10, Indian Rocks Christian
(BOLO) Braxton Legg, 09, Cambridge Christian
(BOLO) Mitchell Curtis, 11, Mt Dora
(NR) Tom Grabow, St. Francis Catholic
(NR) Dalin Mitchell, Seffner Christian
2A Boys Rankings
by Zach White, Mount Dora Christian Academy
Commentary: As we wrap up the regular season, there is no doubt that Satellite is the favorite in the clubhouse. I never want to say the State Meet is a foregone conclusion, but this team is looking nearly untouchable as far as the State Finals go. Bolles has climbed all season and certainly has proven to be the 2nd best team in 2A this year. However, there is a slew of other teams that I know are hoping to challenge for that podium. Berkeley Prep and Bishop Moore are no joke and they will definitely be looking to be one of those top 2 teams at the State Meet. Proud of all these teams! Good luck in the Post-Season. Prove all my rankings wrong!!
Here are the TEAM RANKINGS Pre-Post season
Rank. (Previous Rank) School = Comment
1. (1) Satellite- (This team is on another level. As they enter into November, I know this team has some big goals and it will be fun to watch them press for those goals!)
2. (2) Bolles- (There might be some in the State that are shocked at where Bolles team is at given they lost all of their top 5 from last year's State Meet. However, I don't find it to be much of a surprise. This team has proved once again that they are a great program, not just a single great team. There is still a big gap between them and Satellite, but I am sure Bolles will give it all they have.)
3. (3) Berkeley Prep- (A very tough team and getting better. They ran a great race at Pre-State and averaged 16:44 as a team. They will definitely be pushing for a podium spot at the State Meet.)
4. (4) Bishop Moore- (Did not learn anything new from this team in the last two weeks, but they did win another meet (Matanzas) and their 1-5 split is REALLY strong. A great pack! Great packs are a powerful thing in the post-season.)
5. (6) Lake Highland Prep- (Finished ahead of King's Academy, Trinity Prep, and Cocoa Beach at Pre-State. Continues to be one of the most consistent teams.)
6. (10) Saint Andrew's High School- (Moves ahead of King's Academy with a very close and tough win over King's at the 2A District 7 Meet.)
7. (8) King's Academy- (They had a solid performance in the Select race at Pre-State. They are a good team. They fall behind Saint Andrew's this week because of a 1 point loss to them at Districts. It will be interesting to see how King's Academy bounces back at Regionals.)
8. (9) Labelle HS- (This has been the hardest team to get a good read on because of the lack in head to head matchups with other teams. They are definitely a good, strong team. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the post-season.)
9. (5) Trinity Prep- (Has only shown glimpses of what they did at Katie Caples. With a head to head loss to King's Academy and Lake Highland Prep at Pre-State, Trinity Prep falls to 9th this week.)
10. (UR) Cocoa Beach- (Inviting a new team into the top 10 this week. Two solid head to head wins in a row over both Trinity Prep and over Astronaut. Cocoa Beach- Welcome to the top 10!)
11. (UR) Bishop Kenny- (Very solid 17:40 average on the State course at Pre-State. They averaged faster than Cocoa Beach but I am placing them behind Cocoa Beach because Cocoa has those head to head wins and because BK ran earlier in the day at Pre-State, which makes a difference. It was much cooler in the elite and select races. Nonetheless- a solid team and coming on strong at the right time!)
12. (7) Astronaut - (This team has been in the top ten all season, but I am dropping them to 12th because they have lost key matchups as of late. Maybe they are trying different things in some of these races and maybe they are a top 5 team. However, I just haven't been able to see it the last few weeks. Excited to see if they make a push in the Post-Season.)
Other Teams to watch out for:
Pine Crest, West Shore, MonteVerde
Commentary: As the Post-season begins, we have a pretty clear picture of who the major players are. At this point, nothing matters though. The only thing that matters is what each of these runners does on November 9th. Robert Pedroza made the biggest move this week. He put the rest of the State on notice this last week. Gabe might have a challenger. From track season, we already know that Pedroza is not scared of the big moment. Good luck guys! Proud of all of you!
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade -- School = Comments
1. (1) Gabriel Montague- Satellite (Did not run at Pre-State but I have absolutely no reason to move him down the ranks. A rested, healthy Gabe going into the Post-season certainly deserves the top-spot given the season he has had.)
2. (9) Robert Pedroza- Key West HS (He finally had the race I've been waiting on. I figured it would happen eventually. Welcome to season Mr. Pedroza. I am placing him just ahead of Pedroza because I think the 15:38 on the State course gets the edge on the 15:36 run by Josh at Great American.)
3. (2) Josh Kraver- Satellite - (Has been nothing but consistent all season. Excited to see what he does in the Post-season!)
4. (3) Will Brady- Bolles- (Just keeps getting better. He has a wonderful trajectory going this season. Has literally dropped a faster time each race. I fully expect him to challenge the lead pack at State. Has no reason to not be extremely confident in his ability.
5. (7) Cole Rutkowski- Bolles- (Backed up his sub-16 performance at Great American with a 16:07 at Pre-State and head to head win over Ethan Lipham. Running very strong.)
6. (6) Ethan Lipham- Berkeley Prep- (Running great. Had a great race at Pre-State and has had a great season. Looking forward to watching him lead his team this Post-season.)
7. (5) Justin Wilson- Satellite- (Ran a 16:03 at the Cape Coast Conference Meet to back up his sub-16 performance at Great American. He also beat Gavin O'Brien in head to head.)
8. (4) Gavin O'Brien- Astronaut- Ran a solid 16:08 at the Cape Coast Conference Meet and barely edged out Satellite's Josh Stern. Running consistent. The only question is whether he's got it in the tank to go sub-16 and challenge the lead pack.)
9. (8) Josh Stern-Satellite (Ran a solid 16:08 at the Cape Coast Conference Meet to back up his Great American Performance. He just barely lost to Gavin in the race which is why he lands at 9th.)
10. (10) Kai Cheatham- Cocoa Beach (Even though Hudson and Cameron ran a second faster at Pre-State than Kai, Kai's full body of work is going to leave him at 10. Should be a good battle between him and a few others at the State Meet to round out the top 10.)
Other Individuals to watch out for:
Hudson Rowan, Cameron Dunn, James Simkins, Colin Duhnoski, Brayden Cheek
3A Boys Rankings
by Amanda Vereecke, Fort Myers High School, email@example.com
Commentary: Lots of teams raced pre-states two weeks ago. Several of our top ranked teams went head to head. In the Elite race of 25 teams we saw Belen Jesuit (1), Robinson (5), Leon (12), Fort Myers (18), Estero (20) Ponte Vedra (22) and Stanton Prep (24). These results will weigh heavily on our rankings this week, along with consistency of times. Many of our top ranked teams go head to head at districts, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top! Pay special attention to: Region 1/District 1, Region 3/District 6 and Region 2/District 3.
Rank. (Previous Rank-Region/District) School = Comments
1. (1-R4/D8) Belen Jesuit = Won the Elite Race at Pre-state. This team is strong and deep!
2. (2-R2/D3) Robinson = Runner up at the Hillsborough County Meet.
3. (3-R2/D3) Sunlake = Won the Sunshine Athletic Conference Meet, continues to see improvement in times.
4. (7-R1/D1) Leon = Strong showing at Pre-state. In the tough Region 1, District 1 this week.
5. (5-R2/D3) Lake Wales = Swept the first three spots and won the Polk County Athletic Conference.
6. (9-R3/D6) Fort Myers = Won the Lee County Athletic Conference. In the same district as Naples and Estero, this may be the district to watch!
7. (4-R3/D6) Estero = Has potential to be a strong contender in Region 3, District 6.
8. (6-R3/D6) Naples HS = Won the Collier County Athletic Conference.
9. (8-R1/D2) Ponte Vedra = Continues to improve, had a 47 second spread at Pre-state.
10. (11-R1/D2) Stanton Prep = Won the Gateway Conference meet.
11. (WL-R2/D3) Tampa Jesuit = Had a strong showing in the select division at Pre-state. Was 3rd in the race, but top 3A school.
12. (WL- R1/D1) Choctawhatchee = Raced in the select division at Pre-state, had a 17:12 team average. This team continues to drop time and improve!
13. (15-R3/D5) Mitchell = Sunshine Athletic Conference West Champs!
14. (WL-R1/D1) Gainesville = Saw several PRs at Pre-state.
15. (10-R1/D1) Fort Walton Beach = Has beat Choctawhatchee head to head, needs consistency.
Other teams to watch for:
(W-R3/D6L) Ida Baker
(WL-R1/D2) Ocala Vanguard
(12-R4/D7) South Fork
(13 R3/D6) Immokalee
(14 R3/D6) Palmetto Ridge
Rank. (Previous Rank) Name, Grade - School = Comments
1. (1) Ethan Geiger, 12 - Robinson High School = Winner at Pre-state! Remains undefeated this year
2. (2) Anderson Denton, 12 - Lake Wales= Ran a 15:40 this week
3. (5) Thomas Weiler, 12 - South Fork HS = Beat out his Belen foes at Pre-state for a new PR.
4. (3) Diego Gomez, 11 - Belen Jesuit = Continues to lead his team.
5. (4) Adam Magoulas, 10 - Belen Jesuit = Ran a great Pre-state race in 15:46.
6. (7) Mac Updike, 11- Lake Wales = Consistently hovers right around the 16 minute mark, new PR!
7. (8) Javier Vento, 11 - Belen Jesuit = Last year's champ keeps lowering his time, back down to a 15:51 at Pre-state.
8. (WL) Liam Holston, 11 - Fort Myers = Had a phenomenal race at Pre-state, finishing top 20 in the Elite with a new PR.
9. (WL) Jackson Yarbrough, 10 - Leon = Ran to a fast 15:58 at Pre-state.
10. (6) Francisco Ramirez 11 - Pace HS = Ran strong in the select division.
11. (13) Aiden Villasuso, 11 - Belen Jesuit
12. (9) Christian Fernandez, 11- Belen Jesuit
13. (10) Sebastian Castillo, 11 - Belen Jesuit
14. (11) Dieumerci Ufitimana, 12 - St. Petersburg
15. (12) Saindeley Dorsainvil, 11 - Palmetto Ridge
Other individuals to watch out for:
Edward Schied, 12 - Sunlake
Franklin Caceres, 12 - Ida Baker
Lewis Benitez-Chaparro, 12 - Ocala Vanguard
Gavin Kennedy, 12 - Sunlake
Jake Rogers, 9 - Leon
Nicholas Hidalgo, 11 - Belen Jesuit
Colby Robbins, 10 - Sunlake
Neal Anderson, Robinson
Kolton Pickard, Estero
Colsen Palmer, Fort Myers
Richard Bennet, 12 - Robinson
Alexander Rodriguez, 11 - Naples
Jordan Foreman, 12 - Northeast
Gabriel Nunes, 10 - Belen Jesuit
4A Boys Rankings #5
by 4A Pollster, 4Apollster@gmail.com
Commentary: These rankings take into account everything up to, but not including any District Meets. The biggest leap this time is Nease, who took Steinbrenner to a tie-breaker at Pre-State. Steinbrenner keeps the number one spot as they remain unbeaten against 4A schools. Bartram Trail keeps the number two spot after their stellar performance at Great American and early victories over Nease. Plant and Newsome round out the top five, with the Panthers keeping the number 4 spot having defeated Newsome in their previous meeting. All five of these teams can consider themselves contenders for the top spot in the 4A State Meet, but Steinbrenner remains a slight favorite to finally reach the top.
Rank. (Previous) School = (Season-best avg.) Recent Results: Comments
1. (1) Steinbrenner HS = (16:08) 2nd @ FSU Elite
2. (2) Bartram Trail HS = (16:14) idle
3. (8) Nease HS = (16:08) 3rd @ FSU Elite
4. (3) H.B. Plant HS = (16:12) 1st @ Hill. Co.
5. (5) Newsome HS = (16:21) 4th @ FSU Elite
6. (4) Windermere HS = (16:23) 9th @ FSU Elite
7. (9) Fleming Island HS = (16:23) 10th @ FSU Elite
8. (12) Niceville HS = (16:34) 11th @ FSU Elite
9. (10) Creekside HS = (16:26) 13th @ FSU Elite
10. (7) Columbus HS = (16:35) 14th @ FSU Elite / 1st @ GMAC
11. (11) Sarasota HS = (16:38) 17th @ FSU Elite
12. (6) Chiles HS = (16:40) 19th @ FSU Elite
13. (13) Oviedo HS = (16:46) 1st @ FSU Select
14. (14) Spanish River HS = (16:32) 1st @ Palm Beach
15. (15) Mandarin HS = (16:42) 21st @ FSU Elite
Other teams to watch for:
(NR) St. Cloud HS = (16:49) 1st @ Orange Belt
(NR) Vierra HS = (16:50) 23rd @ FSU Elite / 2nd @ Cape Coast
(NR) Dr. Phillips HS = (17:05) 2nd @ FSU Select
(NR) Doral Academy HS = (17:04) 4th @ FSU Select
(NR) St. Thomas Acquinas HS = (17:03) 6th @ FSU Select / 2nd @ BCAA
(NR) Ft. Lauderdale HS = (16:54) 7th @ FSU Select / 1st @ BCAA
Name, Grade / School Season Best - Recent Results
1. Rheinhart Harrison, 10 Nease 15:23 - 2nd @ FSU Elite
2. Jake Turner, 12 Armwood 15:24 - 3rd @ FSU Elite
3. Zachary Cloud, 12 St Cloud 15:32 - 5th @ FSU Elite
4. Bradley Ball, 11 Nease 15:34 - 6th @ FSU Elite
5. Onix Ortiz Vazquez, 12 Windermere 15:46 - 16th @ FSU Elite
6. Ryan Maney, 10 H.B. Plant 15:52 - 2nd @ Hills. Co. in 16:04
7. Keith Gibson, 12 H.B. Plant 15:36 - 3rd @ Hills. Co. in 16:07
8. Blake Walker, 11 Steinbrenner 15:55 - 18th @ FSU Elite
9. Josh King, 12 Steinbrenner 15:50 - 20th @ FSU Elite
10. Michael Fiore, 11 Fort Lauderdale 15:55 - 1st @ FSU Select
11. Jahari White, 11 Bartram Trail 15:54 - no race
12. Justin Tackling, 12 Nease 16:03 - 23rd @ FSU Elite
13. Dominic Acosta, 12 Newsome 16:02 - 24th @ FSU Elite
14. Joe Wester, 11 Jupiter 15:58 - 1st @ Palm Beach
15. Seth Martinez, 11 Lennard 15:48 - 8th @ Hills. Co. in 16:39
16. Kaden Levings, 09 Niceville 16:04 - 25th @ FSU Elite
17. Cameron Wallizada, Fleming Island 16:04 - 27th @ FSU Elite
18. Zach Harrigan, Steinbrenner 16:07 - 29th @ FSU Elite
19. Adrian Bichara, Columbus 16:12 - 31st @ FSU Elite
20. Joshua Bernard, Newsome 16:13 - 33rd @ FSU Elite in 16:13
Other Runners to Watch for:
Jesse Benavides, Creekside 16:16 - 37th @ FSU Elite
Jalani White, 11 Bartram Trail 16:09 - no race
Zac Vincennie, 12 Spanish River 16:09 - 6th @ Boca in 17:14 / 23 @ Palm Beach
Will Livesay, 12 Fleming Island 16:03 - 42nd @ FSU Elite
Mac Williams, 09 Creekside 16:04 - 49th @ FSU Elite
Aidan Breslin, Ft. Lauderdale 16:17 - 3rd @ FSU Select
John Lesh, 12 Dwyer 16:13 - 2nd @ Palm Beach
Lance Grainger, Doral Academy Charter 16:17 - 4th @ FSU Select
Jared Hammil, 11 Wharton 16:11 - 1st @ FSU Open
Wynne Thomas, 11 Plant 16:15 - 5th @ Hills. Co. in 16:15
- Please remember that all of these rankings are done by volunteer coaches and are meant to increase the overall enjoyment of the sport for athletes, coaches, parents, and fans. They are just for fun and should not have a lot of weight put on them. But if you have issues (such as a missed athlete or team), please email the individual pollster for your classification & gender.
- Please direct any major concerns to FACA Rankings Representative: Ryan Raposo @ firstname.lastname@example.org