Jeff Adams was at Northport High School for complete coverage of the 2nd Annual Marcus Freeman Memorial Invitational.
2nd Annual Marcus Freeman Memorial Invitational by DigitalPixel (Over 1700 Photos)
On the girls' side, Sarasota High School teammates Mariah Williams and Jammeria Higdon finished first and second in the 100 with times of 12.7 and 12.95 respectively. Higdon finished second in the 200 as well. and the two teamed up as a part of the winning 4x100 relay. Williams was first in the triple jump and third in the long jump. A lot of 1-2 punches in this meet. In the 800 the Bishop Verot pair of Kelly Williamson and Ashley Oliva crossed the line in 2:27.52 and 2:29.54. In the distance events it was a pair of sisters from Sarasota Riverview, Sarah and Kayla Miller. Sarah won both the 1600 and 3200 while sister Kayla finished third in the 1600 and right behind her sister in the 3200. Madison Schmidt of Riverview also had a big day clearing a new personal best 11-03.00 in the pole vault. Riverview won the team championship with an outstanding 185.50 points, 80.5 more than runner-up Sarasota.
Small school Moore Haven proved they could hang with the big boys. In the sprints they got some valuable points from Markeis Hallback( 1st in 200), the Cohen brothers Darius (3rd in the 100) and Barren (2nd in 200), and Javonte Broughton (4th in 100). Vinton Lewis also stepped up in the quarter mile with a time of 50.76 to give Moore Haven 10 more points. They also took home titles in the 4x1 and 4x4 relays and in the field events the long jump and shot put. Sarasota High School junior Courtland Bernard won both the 1600 and 3200 meter runs in times of 4:40.69 and 10:34.89. Ro'derick Spears of Northport captured the hurdles double winning both the 110 and 300's. The story of the meet was small school Moore Haven as they captured the team title edging out Sarasota Riverview by just four points 130.50-126.50.
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Damia Pendegrass (North Port HS) 16.00;
- Long Jump - Kaneidra Mcpherson (Moore Haven HS) 17-9;
- Pole Vault - Madison Schmidt (Sarasota Riverview HS) 11-3; Nicole Chang (Sarasota HS) 10-6; Ashtin Frank (Out of Door Academy) 9-6; Samantha Kasmiriski (Venice HS) 9-0;
- Shot Put - Reshaun Patterson (Sarasota HS) 36-10;
- 400 Meter Dash - Vinton Lewis (Moore Haven HS) 50.76; Richie James (Sarasota Riverview HS) 50.86;
- Discus - Darren Hendricks (North Port HS) 158-8;
- Pole Vault - Joe Schatz (Sarasota HS) 12-6; Jacob Humphrey (Sarasota Riverview HS) 12-6;