• Network Admin
    ubiQuitous1
    1 #1264 Khosla, Sukhi 11 Leon HS 14:59.45
    2 #2370 Macoy, Mac 12 Vestavia Hills HS 15:03.34
    3 #874 Bennett, Tyler 12 Fort Myers HS 15:06.68
    4 #1582 Morken, Nicholas 12 Niceville HS 15:07.57
    5 #1443 Diaz, Nick 11 Miami Sunset HS 15:07.83
    6 #2273 Marquez, Brandon 10 Timber Creek HS 15:08.51

I keep racking my brain for other fast meets. Ed Radice had a few, but none like this
  • Bill Convey
    User
    Insider
    BConvey
    I was wondering the same thing (assuming you meant fastest race in Florida). If we are looking at only Florida kids in the 5k era, FLRunners 2010 was pretty impressive top 4. Also, Florida participants in 2009 and 2010 Footlocker were pretty fast as well. But this was right up there. I also felt from running it that this is fastest "legit" distance non-asphalt course I have ever been on. For sure faster layout and surface than McAlpine.
  • Coach Raposo
    Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachRaposo
    CoachHoward
    Times like that can only mean one thing, right Ryan?

@CoachHoward Yep! That the idiot meet directors around the state can stop making their courses short because a great competition can actually yield fast performances!

Although, it is a net-downhill course. So there's like a good couple of seconds right there.
  • Bill Convey
    User
    Insider
    BConvey
    @CoachRaposo agree net downhill gives a couple seconds, but mainly it was super fast surface and room to run. I think changes like this make "course record" a meaningless measure of performance. But I really love the course think it is fair and interesting, and have no objections to a fast surface (or slight net downhill).
  • Bob Braman
    User
    Insider
    CoachBraman
    Course was intentionally set to 5005 meters. USATF road race certification requires an additional distance add of 1/10th of 1 percent to ensure that no runner could run shorter than the intended distance. That certification also requires measuring 18 inches from fixed objects or course edge along the shortest tangent that a runner could run.
    I realize that cross country isn't Road Racing but old habits are hard to kick (I put on road races for 20 years).
    Men's 8k race was only 7949 meters due to common finish line and no reasonable way to add 51 meters.
    And yes, there is a net elevation drop of about 20 feet due to new finish line sitting at the lowest point in Field Two.
    57 degrees at race start and a deep field of quality runners in attendance. An aggressive first mile didn't hurt (4:36 -- net drop of 32 feet start to Mile 1).
  • Doug Butler
    User
    coachbutler
    @CoachBraman Great meet yesterday, I hope those that keep talking about moving the state meet to a central location, will now quietly drop that idea! Anyone that has run this course wants the state meet there! Great course, odds are great weather in November, and thats what it's about. The kids love this course!
  • Old Man Dey
    Coach
    Insider
    jdpsu Edited
    ubiQuitous1

1 #1264 Khosla, Sukhi 11 Leon HS 14:59.45
    2 #2370 Macoy, Mac 12 Vestavia Hills HS 15:03.34
    3 #874 Bennett, Tyler 12 Fort Myers HS 15:06.68
    4 #1582 Morken, Nicholas 12 Niceville HS 15:07.57
    5 #1443 Diaz, Nick 11 Miami Sunset HS 15:07.83
    6 #2273 Marquez, Brandon 10 Timber Creek HS 15:08.51

I was worried after Arroyo left that there was going to be a vacuum.....no worries now! I know it's probably too soon to say, but I am hoping for multiple Florida Footlocker guys from this group. Khosla & Diaz being Juniors & Marquez a Sophomore is also great looking forward!
  • Pat Crandall
    Coach
    Insider
    gpc3
    CoachBraman
    Course was intentionally set to 5005 meters. USATF road race certification requires an additional distance add of 1/10th of 1 percent to ensure that no runner could run shorter than the intended distance. That certification also requires measuring 18 inches from fixed objects or course edge along the shortest tangent that a runner could run.
    I realize that cross country isn't Road Racing but old habits are hard to kick (I put on road races for 20 years).
    Men's 8k race was only 7949 meters due to common finish line and no reasonable way to add 51 meters.
    And yes, there is a net elevation drop of about 20 feet due to new finish line sitting at the lowest point in Field Two.
    57 degrees at race start and a deep field of quality runners in attendance. An aggressive first mile didn't hurt (4:36 -- net drop of 32 feet start to Mile 1).

I usually don't put much stock in CC times, there are just too many variables (esp actual distance run), but thanks for the background info - it does legitimize a great competition.
  • User
    Insider
    JMarquez
    Congratulations to Coach Braman for a top notch meet, great venue and first class administration.
    Big congratulations to all runners, great performances all around, you all should be very proud. Florida is in good hands with these athletes representing us.
  • Don Howard
    User
    Insider
    CoachHoward
    @CoachBraman And of course I was only joking, Bob. I have 0% belief that your course is anything but dead-on. Interesting that it is actually 5 meters long.
    In my opinion, the BEST cross country course in Florida... by far.
  • User
    tallydad
    @JMarquez Will you please send me your mailing address as there is a plaque for Brandon being the fastest sophomore that went unclaimed. You can reach me at bthomas2@fsu.edu and I will get it out in the mail. Thank you!
  • Network Admin
    ubiQuitous1 Edited
    I think marquez's 15:08 was the fastest time ever for a sophomore eclipsing will stanford's 15:16.7 from bale n trail. He ran 15:20.0 @ state that year at little everglades.
  • Old Man Dey
    Coach
    Insider
    jdpsu Edited
    @ubiQuitous1 Which begs the question from some of us......what ever happened to Freddy?

EDIT: 1980 (as a Jr.)-Runner up at State meet.
    1980 4A 1.Barton Sellers, Largo 2.Frederick Carley, Niceville 3 miles 15:10.4
  • Network Admin
    ubiQuitous1 Edited
    The 1980 meet was run in Lake Worth and was the last race of the day. It was hot and sandy in parts. Not a fast course by any means.
  • Laura Fredrickson
    Coach
    LSFRED
    @ubiQuitous1
    anybody notice that Sherman Eller is in those race results with Freddy? 67th place.
    I used to train with Freddy, the Ruckel boys and his Dad when I was in 9th grade. I "think" Freddy's knees became an issue when he was a senior. My scrap book is full of his times when he was in Jr High.
  • Bob Braman
    User
    Insider
    CoachBraman
    Brett Hoffman was special as a Sophomore. 8:56 2-Mile at Regions in 1975 on Chamberlain HS track. That track had a giant concrete curb with a really bad asphalt track surface. Can't remember his best 3-Mile XC time that year (Fall 1974). We had a pretty quick 3-Mile race the following Fall: Mike Ware 14:36, Brett Hoffman 14:37, Bobby Braman 14:38 (Largo Invite @ Taylor Park).
  • Coach
    Insider
    vantheman
    To echo what Coach Butler said, please no more talk to move the state meet course somewhere else. This is the best course in the state, the kids love running on it, and odds are that the weather in Tallahassee will always be cooler than almost anywhere else in the State. Great meet last Saturday. Hopefully many more pre-state and state meet races at ARP.
  • Michael Warre
    User
    warrehouse
    @CoachBraman Thanks for mentioning me, even if you misspelled my name, it's Warre, LOL, I also ran 14:35 offically, Bret at 14:36 and yourself 14:38. That was a great race Bob. Also check out an article I wrote that was picked up by DistancePreps about another race we ran in!
  • Bob Braman
    User
    Insider
    CoachBraman
    You'd think I'd spell it correctly when I had to read it so many times in front of my name on the results sheets. That Largo Invite was a great one.
    I don't think either one of us ran that well at that Brandon 2-Mile Postal. Tommy Curtis lit us all up but only Hoffman gave him much of a race.
    Hope you're doing well old friend.
  • Michael Warre
    User
    warrehouse Edited
    @CoachBraman The spelling of my name was a common problem throughout my career. Even the 1st time Coach Haley mentioned my name in print, my sophomore year team roster, he did the same thing! lol

The fastest 3 miles run at the State Meet:
    1) Kenneth Clark, Rockledge 14:07, 1977, 3A
    2) Bryan Artz, Venice 14:09, 1976, 3A
    3) Brett Hoffman, St. Petersburg, 14:14, 1975, 4A
    4) Herb Wills, Leon, 14:16, 1976, 4A
    5) Keith Brantley, Winter Haven, 14:18, 1979, 4A
    6) Joe Weston, South Plantation, 14:24, 1976, 4A
    7) Bob Centeno, Coconut Creek, 14:24, 1976, 4A
    8) Basil Magee, Largo, 14:30, 1979, 4A
    9) Fred Carley, Niceville, 14:31, 1979, 4A
    10) Brian Jaeger, Winter Park, 14:32.1, 1982, 4A
    Note: Clark, 14:17, 1975; Wills, 14:30, 1975; Weston, 14:26, 1975