Article Comment: Carl Franzella 1981-2008
12/24/2008 9:41:08 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
From the Times Picayune:

FRANZELLA Carl Gerald Franzella passed away into the loving arms of His Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Saturday, December 20, 2008 at the age of 27. He is the beloved son of Carl M. Franzella and Denise Delery Franzella. Loving brother of Rachel, Rebecca, Catherine and Andrew Franzella. He is also survived by his grandmother Denise L. Delery and his best friend "Snowball". He is preceded in death by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. August J. Franzella and Gerald D. Delery. He will be missed dearly by many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. Carl was passionate about the outdoors; he enjoyed camping, hiking and kayaking. His most recent adventure was photographing the unexpected snow fall. While attending St. Paul's and Mandeville High he was a three time state champion in track and cross country. He continued his running career at Louisiana State University. He also participated in golfing where he achieved a coveted hole-in-one. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM. The service will be celebrated at First Baptist Church of Covington, 16333 Hwy 1085, Covington, LA 70433. Visitation AT THE CHURCH will begin at 9:00 AM on Saturday. Interment will follow at Pinecrest Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, Carl would appreciate donations being sent in his honor to those in need. Funeral arrangements have been entrusted to E.J. Fielding Funeral Home of Covington, LA.
From the Times Picayune:

FRANZELLA Carl Gerald Franzella passed away into the loving arms of His Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Saturday, December 20, 2008 at the age of 27. He is the beloved son of Carl M. Franzella and Denise Delery Franzella. Loving brother of Rachel, Rebecca, Catherine and Andrew Franzella. He is also survived by his grandmother Denise L. Delery and his best friend "Snowball". He is preceded in death by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. August J. Franzella and Gerald D. Delery. He will be missed dearly by many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. Carl was passionate about the outdoors; he enjoyed camping, hiking and kayaking. His most recent adventure was photographing the unexpected snow fall. While attending St. Paul's and Mandeville High he was a three time state champion in track and cross country. He continued his running career at Louisiana State University. He also participated in golfing where he achieved a coveted hole-in-one. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM. The service will be celebrated at First Baptist Church of Covington, 16333 Hwy 1085, Covington, LA 70433. Visitation AT THE CHURCH will begin at 9:00 AM on Saturday. Interment will follow at Pinecrest Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, Carl would appreciate donations being sent in his honor to those in need. Funeral arrangements have been entrusted to E.J. Fielding Funeral Home of Covington, LA.
12/24/2008 9:52:40 PM
User
I didn't know him, but my condolences go out to his family and friends.
I didn't know him, but my condolences go out to his family and friends.
12/24/2008 10:48:56 PM
User
Carl was a great guy. My favorite memory of him was discussing the apollo 11 conspiracy after the infamous Cajun run a few years ago. I also enjoy when Bone man ties a few on and tells stories of Carl. He will be missed!
Carl was a great guy. My favorite memory of him was discussing the apollo 11 conspiracy after the infamous Cajun run a few years ago. I also enjoy when Bone man ties a few on and tells stories of Carl. He will be missed!
12/24/2008 11:14:56 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
My favorite memory of him was when I was in 8th grade, St. Paul's would take a road trip once per year (outside of state) to Alexandria for the Holy Savior menard Invite - this particular year - the meet was cancelled due to weather ... On the return trip there was a huge traffic jam on the intersate - St. Paul's bus was stuck behind a sugar cane truck. After about thirty minutes of stand still traffic, our coach let us out to walk around.... (This still sticks out in my mind) ..walking around eating sugar cane while Carl played brown eyed girl on his guitar and the SPS XC choir sang our rendition to random stander-stills. I never have and probably never will be able to listen to this song without thinking of the guy...
My favorite memory of him was when I was in 8th grade, St. Paul's would take a road trip once per year (outside of state) to Alexandria for the Holy Savior menard Invite - this particular year - the meet was cancelled due to weather ... On the return trip there was a huge traffic jam on the intersate - St. Paul's bus was stuck behind a sugar cane truck. After about thirty minutes of stand still traffic, our coach let us out to walk around.... (This still sticks out in my mind) ..walking around eating sugar cane while Carl played brown eyed girl on his guitar and the SPS XC choir sang our rendition to random stander-stills.

I never have and probably never will be able to listen to this song without thinking of the guy...
12/25/2008 12:33:01 AM
User
[quote=patrunner1421]My favorite memory of him was when I was in 8th grade, St. Paul's would take a road trip once per year (outside of state) to Alexandria for the Holy Savior menard Invite - this particular year - the meet was cancelled due to weather ... On the return trip there was a huge traffic jam on the intersate - St. Paul's bus was stuck behind a sugar cane truck. After about thirty minutes of stand still traffic, our coach let us out to walk around.... (This still sticks out in my mind) ..walking around eating sugar cane while Carl played brown eyed girl on his guitar and the SPS XC choir sang our rendition to random stander-stills. [/quote] I remember hearing bits and pieces of that story. I didn't know Carl as much as I would have liked. I actually only met him once. But suffice to say, he is definitely one of those people who leaves an immediate impression on whoever they meet. He was a rare breed, as a runner and most definitely as a person. RIP, Carl.
patrunner1421 wrote:
My favorite memory of him was when I was in 8th grade, St. Paul's would take a road trip once per year (outside of state) to Alexandria for the Holy Savior menard Invite - this particular year - the meet was cancelled due to weather ... On the return trip there was a huge traffic jam on the intersate - St. Paul's bus was stuck behind a sugar cane truck. After about thirty minutes of stand still traffic, our coach let us out to walk around.... (This still sticks out in my mind) ..walking around eating sugar cane while Carl played brown eyed girl on his guitar and the SPS XC choir sang our rendition to random stander-stills.

I remember hearing bits and pieces of that story.

I didn't know Carl as much as I would have liked. I actually only met him once. But suffice to say, he is definitely one of those people who leaves an immediate impression on whoever they meet. He was a rare breed, as a runner and most definitely as a person.

RIP, Carl.
12/25/2008 11:04:20 AM
User
nice guy and was one heck of a runner. back in 2003 he ran a unattached 4 x 800m relay with me, cassidy & Andrew B. He was out of shape and really had not trained for a couple of years...he trained for two weeks...and still ran 1:57 split on the relay that day. RIP
nice guy and was one heck of a runner.

back in 2003 he ran a unattached 4 x 800m relay with me, cassidy & Andrew B. He was out of shape and really had not trained for a couple of years...he trained for two weeks...and still ran 1:57 split on the relay that day.

RIP
12/25/2008 2:25:29 PM
User
I'm not from Louisiana and Carl was done running before I got to LSU but I knew him pretty well. He lived above me, Serge and Jake Dewey at University Commons my sophomore year. He would come down and hang out pretty much everday. He was an interesting guy when I knew him. I could tell a lot of stories and Ive heard a lot about him. I live in Nola now with some people that were his age from St Pauls/Covington and its obvious that he'll be missed. RIP Carl -Matt Guy
I'm not from Louisiana and Carl was done running before I got to LSU but I knew him pretty well. He lived above me, Serge and Jake Dewey at University Commons my sophomore year. He would come down and hang out pretty much everday. He was an interesting guy when I knew him. I could tell a lot of stories and Ive heard a lot about him. I live in Nola now with some people that were his age from St Pauls/Covington and its obvious that he'll be missed. RIP Carl
-Matt Guy
12/25/2008 11:43:46 PM
User
Carl
Carl
12/26/2008 6:05:51 AM
User
As I read what Ben has written tears fall to the carpet of my living room floor here in Portland, OR. I treasure every moment I spent with Carl, especially sweating out a goal of conquering the state of LA in the distance running realm. He was always a hero to me not because he had more talent than me, but because he could do anything he set his mind to. He was not even our number one runner in 1997 all year. He decided he wanted to win a state title and took off at the 2 mile mark, left everybody, and then began puking under the bleachers for half an hour. He was that headstrong, but had his state title. Carl was a great person, a great runner, a great friend, but most importantly...had a heart that none of us could keep up with. I am happy to know Carl is in a place where he will always be happy. Every day for the rest of my life when I go on a run, hike, or listen to Dave Matthews I will think of you. I miss you bud. Jason Laine
As I read what Ben has written tears fall to the carpet of my living room floor here in Portland, OR. I treasure every moment I spent with Carl, especially sweating out a goal of conquering the state of LA in the distance running realm. He was always a hero to me not because he had more talent than me, but because he could do anything he set his mind to. He was not even our number one runner in 1997 all year. He decided he wanted to win a state title and took off at the 2 mile mark, left everybody, and then began puking under the bleachers for half an hour. He was that headstrong, but had his state title. Carl was a great person, a great runner, a great friend, but most importantly...had a heart that none of us could keep up with. I am happy to know Carl is in a place where he will always be happy. Every day for the rest of my life when I go on a run, hike, or listen to Dave Matthews I will think of you. I miss you bud.

Jason Laine
12/26/2008 2:27:49 PM
User
At Gulf States circa 1998, Phil and I were trying to encourage a few more kids to get a little pool time before hitting the trails for the afternoon run. We came up with this goofy idea to throw a "pool party" except all we had was a huge stale bag of popcorn and some gatorade 'cocktails' so we sent out invitations (to every camper) to only the most priveledged and promised live entertainment, a concert if you will. Carl was to awesome and obliged to save the day with a DMB tribute and a Brown Eyed Girl encore! Thanks for saving our asses and starting one of the best annual parties known to this running community. Carl was truly blessed, we all know about his running talent, but if you were lucky enough to hang out with this guy, then you were truly in the company of a very special human being. I am grateful for the time I spent with him as a kid and an adult...thanks man for lessons you did not know you taught me ps. I finished my 1st marathon in his P.E. shirt from St Paul that he traded for an MCA XC shirt, the thing had no sleaves, it was so worn down tattered and frayed.
At Gulf States circa 1998, Phil and I were trying to encourage a few more kids to get a little pool time before hitting the trails for the afternoon run. We came up with this goofy idea to throw a "pool party" except all we had was a huge stale bag of popcorn and some gatorade 'cocktails' so we sent out invitations (to every camper) to only the most priveledged and promised live entertainment, a concert if you will. Carl was to awesome and obliged to save the day with a DMB tribute and a Brown Eyed Girl encore! Thanks for saving our asses and starting one of the best annual parties known to this running community.
Carl was truly blessed, we all know about his running talent, but if you were lucky enough to hang out with this guy, then you were truly in the company of a very special human being. I am grateful for the time I spent with him as a kid and an adult...thanks man for lessons you did not know you taught me

ps. I finished my 1st marathon in his P.E. shirt from St Paul that he traded for an MCA XC shirt, the thing had no sleaves, it was so worn down tattered and frayed.
12/26/2008 2:34:37 PM
User
Coach Tom, are you talking about Phil Sims?
Coach Tom, are you talking about Phil Sims?
12/27/2008 4:00:25 AM
Coach
I second what Jason said. Carl had the biggest heart of any runner I have ever been around. I remember that cross state meet and I have never seen somebody just decide he was going to win when on paper he looked like a long shot. I also remember before that race, our team was hanging out together away from everything. Nobody was talking, just thinking about the race when out of nowhere Carl stands up and cracks a joke. The joke was funny and everyone laughed, but more importantly eased everybody's nerves. That was Carl, always seeing the lighter side of things. We could always count on him to say or do something to take our minds off the race. That is one of the many great memories I have of Carl.
I second what Jason said. Carl had the biggest heart of any runner I have ever been around. I remember that cross state meet and I have never seen somebody just decide he was going to win when on paper he looked like a long shot. I also remember before that race, our team was hanging out together away from everything. Nobody was talking, just thinking about the race when out of nowhere Carl stands up and cracks a joke. The joke was funny and everyone laughed, but more importantly eased everybody's nerves. That was Carl, always seeing the lighter side of things. We could always count on him to say or do something to take our minds off the race. That is one of the many great memories I have of Carl.
12/27/2008 4:22:34 PM
Coach
Carl was a great kid! An awesome competitor and posted some great efforts in HS CC and T&F in Louisiana. I attended the service at his church today and it was awesome! His sibblings did a great job presenting the video and his father was awesome in presenting his sermon at the end. Carl will be sadly missed and will always be remembered in the running community on the Northshore. May God Bless him and his family; and we all know that he is in a much better place now.
Carl was a great kid! An awesome competitor and posted some great efforts in HS CC and T&F in Louisiana. I attended the service at his church today and it was awesome! His sibblings did a great job presenting the video and his father was awesome in presenting his sermon at the end. Carl will be sadly missed and will always be remembered in the running community on the Northshore. May God Bless him and his family; and we all know that he is in a much better place now.
12/27/2008 4:43:49 PM
User
I had a bit of a limited knowledge of Carl but what time I was able to spend with him was truly enlightening. The first time I ever heard the name Carl Franzella was in 1997 when he beat me for the state XC title. At the time, I couldn't believe that this guy I had never heard of had beaten me and took what I almost assumed to be my title before the race started. At some point a few years later I got to know Carl as Carl and not just the guy who beat me; and as that happened, I realized just what Jason and Jimmy are talking about. He won that tile and truly deserved that title because he ran with more heart than anyone else in that race. I began to respect Carl as a runner but never spent a whole lot of time to get to know Carl outside of the track until one day I found myself doing some ridiculously long run with Carl, just the two of us. During those several miles, I got a glimpse into the world as Carl saw it. The day that started the same as so many others, provided me with some of the most memorable and cherished miles of my life. It is amazing but not surprising how just a limited interaction with Carl could so profoundly affect a person's being. Carl will be missed but certainly not forgotten.
I had a bit of a limited knowledge of Carl but what time I was able to spend with him was truly enlightening. The first time I ever heard the name Carl Franzella was in 1997 when he beat me for the state XC title. At the time, I couldn't believe that this guy I had never heard of had beaten me and took what I almost assumed to be my title before the race started. At some point a few years later I got to know Carl as Carl and not just the guy who beat me; and as that happened, I realized just what Jason and Jimmy are talking about. He won that tile and truly deserved that title because he ran with more heart than anyone else in that race. I began to respect Carl as a runner but never spent a whole lot of time to get to know Carl outside of the track until one day I found myself doing some ridiculously long run with Carl, just the two of us. During those several miles, I got a glimpse into the world as Carl saw it. The day that started the same as so many others, provided me with some of the most memorable and cherished miles of my life. It is amazing but not surprising how just a limited interaction with Carl could so profoundly affect a person's being. Carl will be missed but certainly not forgotten.
01/02/2009 3:30:44 AM
User
Sounds like a wonderful guy. I nearly cried reading all your thoughtful comments and watching the little video. I can't help but wonder what happened. I am the same age as him. We are just too young to go. Sounds like he was saved; thank the Lord he is in a better place and believe me, if he is there, he is very happy!
Sounds like a wonderful guy. I nearly cried reading all your thoughtful comments and watching the little video. I can't help but wonder what happened. I am the same age as him. We are just too young to go. Sounds like he was saved; thank the Lord he is in a better place and believe me, if he is there, he is very happy!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.