Rules Question
02/17/2009 9:13:43 PM
User
Can GISA athletes can compete at a GHSA invitational meet? Even if they compete unattached?
Can GISA athletes can compete at a GHSA invitational meet? Even if they compete unattached?
02/17/2009 9:26:00 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
No.
No.
02/17/2009 9:53:05 PM
User
Just bandit the whole meet. :-D
Just bandit the whole meet.
02/18/2009 1:04:26 PM
Coach
You risk affecting your eligibility here in GA if you compete out of your association. That is one of the reasons why the Mercer Invitational was instituted in Macon. Different GA associations get to run the same course on the same day, in the same conditions. There are a lot of good runners in both of the major associations (GHSA & GISA), but they rarely have a chance to compete head-to-head or even have a "level" field with which to compare athletes. That is one of the reasons I think the Mercer Inv. seems to grow every year. I believe it would benefit our sport if the GHSA would ease up on their practice of "freezing out" other GA associations at the big invitationals. I think it is counter-productive. It would be much better, in my mind, if there were more opportunities for the best runners from all GA schools to compete against one another. An "Invitational" should be allowed to invite the teams the director chooses for the races he/she chooses instead of an "athletic" association deciding for him. The GHSA should not be dictating who he can and cannot put in a race (yes, the problem comes from the GHSA side). Maybe this will change some day, but I don't see any such change in the near future.
You risk affecting your eligibility here in GA if you compete out of your association.

That is one of the reasons why the Mercer Invitational was instituted in Macon. Different GA associations get to run the same course on the same day, in the same conditions. There are a lot of good runners in both of the major associations (GHSA & GISA), but they rarely have a chance to compete head-to-head or even have a "level" field with which to compare athletes. That is one of the reasons I think the Mercer Inv. seems to grow every year.
I believe it would benefit our sport if the GHSA would ease up on their practice of "freezing out" other GA associations at the big invitationals. I think it is counter-productive.
It would be much better, in my mind, if there were more opportunities for the best runners from all GA schools to compete against one another. An "Invitational" should be allowed to invite the teams the director chooses for the races he/she chooses instead of an "athletic" association deciding for him. The GHSA should not be dictating who he can and cannot put in a race (yes, the problem comes from the GHSA side). Maybe this will change some day, but I don't see any such change in the near future.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.