Miccosukee Greenway, Tallahasee 0%
26 Votes

Vote!
Possible 2012 FHSAA Cross Country State championship Sites
02/07/2012 9:09:17 PM
User
02/07/2012 10:55:26 PM
Power User
I love the Apalachee course in Tallahassee, the only problem is that it's in Tallahassee. Also, a properly measured Chain of Lakes might not be bad, the only problem is the asphalt walkway alongside the grass course; although it's a natural barrier, there is no real way to prevent kids from running on there.
I love the Apalachee course in Tallahassee, the only problem is that it's in Tallahassee. Also, a properly measured Chain of Lakes might not be bad, the only problem is the asphalt walkway alongside the grass course; although it's a natural barrier, there is no real way to prevent kids from running on there.
02/08/2012 9:56:53 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Unless you know something I don't know (a distinct possibility), you may want to subtract the Miccosukee Greenway from the list. It is now strictly designated as a passive park, meaning it is nearly impossible to get permission to race there. That partly led to the evolution of Tallahassee's ARP (Apalachee Regional Park), a venue that every Florida harrier should add to their bucket list. Great course!
Unless you know something I don't know (a distinct possibility), you may want to subtract the Miccosukee Greenway from the list. It is now strictly designated as a passive park, meaning it is nearly impossible to get permission to race there.

That partly led to the evolution of Tallahassee's ARP (Apalachee Regional Park), a venue that every Florida harrier should add to their bucket list. Great course!
02/08/2012 10:53:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
A few years back, there was an Orlando area team who put on a race at the National Training Center in Clermont. I know the course was VERY challenging, very hilly and completely off road. I wonder if that can be added to the poll? I'm thinking the NTC would have the facilities to accommodate for the rest of the event. Just throwing it out there.
A few years back, there was an Orlando area team who put on a race at the National Training Center in Clermont. I know the course was VERY challenging, very hilly and completely off road. I wonder if that can be added to the poll? I'm thinking the NTC would have the facilities to accommodate for the rest of the event. Just throwing it out there.
02/08/2012 10:58:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_Loth We (LHP) hosted a number of races there including distict/region for xc - they have subsequently built a number of softball fields etc and that course no longer exists. I do not think they have cut a new course to the best of my knowledge.
@Coach_Loth
We (LHP) hosted a number of races there including distict/region for xc - they have subsequently built a number of softball fields etc and that course no longer exists. I do not think they have cut a new course to the best of my knowledge.
02/08/2012 11:08:56 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_Loth @LHPcoach I sat down with NTC several years back when they were considering putting in a bid for the state meet. This was either before the move to Little Everglades or during the first time it was up for renewal. I think they may have even put in a bid. One of the main concerns that I had in sitting down with them was parking. There is simply not enough parking there for that many cars because the hospital must reserve a certain amount that XC can not take over. The solution that was discussed was to park cars at East Ridge High School and then have a bus/tram to transport people to the course. A lot has clearly changed since then... new hotels literally right next to the venue... new construction, etc. So I'm not sure the status now. But just thought I'd share that because I felt like that was a major con.
@Coach_Loth @LHPcoach

I sat down with NTC several years back when they were considering putting in a bid for the state meet. This was either before the move to Little Everglades or during the first time it was up for renewal. I think they may have even put in a bid.

One of the main concerns that I had in sitting down with them was parking. There is simply not enough parking there for that many cars because the hospital must reserve a certain amount that XC can not take over. The solution that was discussed was to park cars at East Ridge High School and then have a bus/tram to transport people to the course.

A lot has clearly changed since then... new hotels literally right next to the venue... new construction, etc. So I'm not sure the status now. But just thought I'd share that because I felt like that was a major con.
02/08/2012 11:11:20 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_Loth @LHPcoach Also to mention... NACAC had their international cross country championship there.
@Coach_Loth @LHPcoach

Also to mention... NACAC had their international cross country championship there.
02/08/2012 11:36:58 AM
Power User
“Free at last; free at last; thank God Almighty we are free at last.” ~MLK Chain of Lakes for Pre-State and State! Yes. ~Twangster
"Free at last; free at last; thank God Almighty we are free at last." ~MLK

Chain of Lakes for Pre-State and State! Yes.

~Twangster

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.