- Complete Results & Meet Coverage
- Featured Photo Album By Lindsey Porter (1372 Photos)
- Featured Highlights Photo Album By Andy Warrener
Photo Album By Albert Wieringa (104 Photos)
There was no stopping the Holy Trinity Leviathan Thursday at Calvary Christian in Clearwater for Class A Region 3 track. It was not a huge surprise, the Tigers are defending state champs for the boys and were runners-up in Class A a year ago. They easily out-paced the field on both sides, boys and girls. On the boys side, the Tigers scored 115 to runner-up Indian Rocks Christian with 59. On the girls side, the Tigers scored 133.5 to Evangelical Christian’s 67.5.
The Tigers had tremendous individual efforts from both sides. First and foremost was Daryth Gayles, a Stanford-commit going 20-00 in the girls long jump, now the top mark in the state and second best in the nation, smashing her personal record by more than seven inches.
“My goal this year has been 20 feet,” Gayles said. “I wanted to prove I had it in me.”
Gayles was happy to shake off an injury-plagued regaionals from last season. She wasn’t finished in the field events, either. Gayles came on and won the 100m in 12.27 by just one-hundredth of a second in front of Shorecrest Prep’s Assata Trader. Gayles sister Gaby racked up the points for the Tigers, too, winning the 200m in 24.77 and the 400m in 55.97. The 55.97 is the 11th best time in the state so far this year.
On the boys side, James Lovett had a hand in 28 of the Tigers’ points. Lovett did not break any personal records but won the 200m in 22.40, was second in the 100m behind Kyle Taylor-Laird of Melbourne Central Catholic and helped the boys 4x100m relay win the regional title in 43.73.
The Tigers pounced in nearly every event. Shelby Smith won the girls 800m in 2:19.29. Daniel Welch won the boys 800m in 1:57.89, just in front of host Calvary Christian’s Chris Robin (1:58.60).
On the girls side, runner-up Evangelical Christian got a boost from distance runner Sarah Candiano. Candiano dominated both the 1600m (5:10.23) and the 3200m (11:15.93). She hung with the pack in both races, only to lash out and take an irrevocable lead in both races. Teammate and sixth-grader Sierra Oliveira won the girls 800m in 2:19.34 and Kylee Rullo was runner-up in the girls 400m (58.30).
On the boys side, Drew McMichael won the pole vault, clearing 15 feet.
Admiral Farragut Academy battled to fourth on the boys side with 38 and fifth on the boys side with 46. The girls points were primarily scored by junior Brittany McGee, who had to settle for second in the long jump in the face of Gayles’ 20-foot jump but answered by winning both hurdle events, the 100m in 14.47 and the 300m in 45.55. McGee opted not to do the high jump Thursday and it gave her a much-needed respite in between events; one she typically does without.
“I actually had time to take a short nap,” McGee said. “It helped me get rid of some of my frustration from the long jump and made me more relaxed.”
McGee’s 14.47 was her best of the season. The boys did not have an individual avail himself the way McGee did but the relays but the 4x100m team took second, while Napoleon Maxwell qualified in the open 100m. Tristen Malfe did win the boys high jump at 6-4
The Indian Rocks Christian boys got points from their relays, the 4x100m and 4x400m both claimed third and Damien King from both relays, was third in both the open 100m and 200m. The IRC girls were down in eighth place but junior Bobbi Labrant won the girls pole vault clearing 10-00.
The Shorecrest girls were third with 66 and got points from senior Assata Trader and freshman Katie Barnett. Trader was just behind Gayles in the 100m and finished second in the 200m (26.00). Barnett, just a freshman, won the triple jump at 37-6.5, was runner-up in the 300m hurdles, and third in the long jump (18-2).
St. Pete Catholic's Michael Rusnak won the boys 400m in 50.82.
The throws on both sides were impressive at Calvary on Thursday. Canterbury’s and UF-commit Chris Olson threw 171-11 to claim first place and keep him in the top 10 throws in the state. Seffner Christian’s Jamari Johnson was not too far behind at 162-4. Both throwers advanced to state on the shot put throws as well. Stephanie Paul of The Community School of Naples won both throws on the girls side, going 130-3 in the disc and 37-6 in the shot.
Bishop McLaughlin’s Desiree’ Nathe won the girls high jump in a personal record 5-5. Moore Haven’s Tevon Thompson won the boys 110m hurdles in 15.62 and grabbed third in the 300m hurdles. Northside Christian’s Ben Knox qualified in both hurdle events.
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut Academy) 14.47 SB; Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut Academy) 14.71;
- 100 Meter Dash - Daryth Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 12.27; Assata Trader (Shorecrest Prep) 12.28; Deterrica Simpkins (Northside Christian) 12.37 SB;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Sarah Candiano (Evangelical Christian School) 5:10.23; Grace Casagrande (Cardinal Mooney HS) 5:11.41; Alex Eaton (Shorecrest Prep) 5:13.87; Hannah Brookover (Calvary Christian (Clearwater)) 5:15.41; Sarah Deibner (Brevard HEAT) 5:20.14 SB;
- 200 Meter Dash - Gabrielle Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 24.77; Deterrica Simpkins (Northside Christian) 25.47; Assata Trader (Shorecrest Prep) 26.00;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut Academy) 45.55; Katie Barnett (Shorecrest Prep) 47.60; Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut Academy) 46.26;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Sarah Candiano (Evangelical Christian School) 11:15.93 SB; Grace Casagrande (Cardinal Mooney HS) 11:18.25; Emily Chapman (Brevard HEAT) 11:26.38 SB; Lindsay Tomaini(Community School of Naples) 11:29.10 SB; Sophia Vesely (Shorecrest Prep) 11:36.66 SB; Alex Eaton (Shorecrest Prep) 11:39.18;
- 400 Meter Dash - Gabrielle Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 55.97; Kylee Rullo (Evangelical Christian School) 58.30 SB; Madison Cox (Cambridge (Christian) School) 59.27; Kylee Rullo (Evangelical Christian School) 58.89; Gabrielle Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 59.81; Kemari Jones (Melbourne Central Catholic HS) 59.73 SB;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Holy Trinity Academy 49.68; Northside Christian 49.99 (prelims);
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Holy Trinity Academy 9:37.04; Evangelical Christian School 9:44.02; Community School of Naples 10:00.36; Shorecrest Prep 10:03.05;
- 800 Meter Run - Shelby Smith (Holy Trinity Academy) 2:19.29 SB; Sierra Oliveira (Evangelical Christian School) 2:19.34 SB; Lauren Csubak (St. Stephens Episcopal School) 2:20.08 SB; Bobbi LaBrant(Indian Rocks Christian) 2:20.18 SB; Olivia Rovin (Shorecrest Prep) 2:22.53 SB; Annie Barry (Community School of Naples) 2:24.77 SB;
- Discus - Stephanie Paul (Community School of Naples) 130-3; Ashaunti Brown (Admiral Farragut Academy) 115-2 SB;
- High Jump - Desiree' Nathe (Bishop McLaughlin Catholic HS) 5-5 SB; mckenzie Kilborne (Holy Trinity Academy) 5-2; Arieana Koonce (First Baptist Academy) 5-2 SB;
- Long Jump - Daryth Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 20-0 SB; Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut Academy) 18-4.5; Katie Barnett (Shorecrest Prep) 18-2;
- Pole Vault - Bobbi LaBrant (Indian Rocks Christian) 10-0; Eloise Palm (Keswick Christian) 9-6; Amy Jameson (Holy Trinity Academy) 9-0 SB; Morgan Brown (Northside Christian) 9-0 SB;
- Shot Put - Stephanie Paul (Community School of Naples) 37-6; Ashaunti Brown (Admiral Farragut Academy) 36-0.5;
- Triple Jump - Katie Barnett (Shorecrest Prep) 37-6.5 SB;
- 100 Meter Dash - Kyle Taylor-laird (Melbourne Central Catholic HS) 10.98; James Lovett (Holy Trinity Academy) 11.00;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Cal Davidson Turner (Cardinal Mooney HS) 4:32.30 SB; Luke Peterson (Shorecrest Prep) 4:33.96 SB;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Andrew Cacciatore (Holy Trinity Academy) 9:43.54; Trevor Kattenberg (Holy Trinity Academy) 9:43.98 SB; Patrick McNamara (Admiral Farragut Academy) 9:56.08 SB; Cal Davidson Turner (Cardinal Mooney HS) 9:57.71;
- 400 Meter Dash - Michael Rusnak (St. Petersburg Catholic HS) 50.82;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Holy Trinity Academy 8:13.15; Shorecrest Prep 8:19.08;
- 800 Meter Run - Daniel Welch (Holy Trinity Academy) 1:57.89 SB; Chris Robin (Calvary Christian (Clearwater)) 1:58.60; Oscar Skjaerpe (Tampa Prep) 1:58.94 SB; Qaseem Wajd (Tampa Prep) 1:58.98 SB;
- Discus - Chris Olson (Canterbury School (St. Pete)) 171-11 SB; Jamari Johnson (Seffner Christian Academy HS) 162-4 SB;
- High Jump - Tristen Malfe (Admiral Farragut Academy) 6-4 SB;
- Pole Vault - Drew McMichael (Evangelical Christian School) 15-0; Tre Gregory (Out of Door Academy) 13-0;
- Shot Put - Liam Pembroke (St. John Neumann) 49-10.5;