The class of 2020 is one competitive group this season. With over 10 boys sub 16:30 before October, this one fast class!
Here's what you need to know - notebook style - about these junior boys.
- Breslin had a breakout race at the Spanish River Invitational running a PR of 15:53.
- This past weekend, he raced the flrunners.com Race of Champions and ran a time of 16:14 on the Holloway Park course.
- With only two races under his belt, the raiders are set to compete next at the FSU Pre-State Invitational.
- Turner opened up his season with a win at the Jim Ryun Invitational in a time of 16:38.
- He has had a strong progression this season, running a PR and breaking the 16 minute barrier at the Babe Zaharias Twilight Challenge in a time of 15:56.
- He had a breakout track season, capturing PR's of 4:21 for 1600m and 9:27 for the 3200m
- Turner had an off week this week, and is set to compete this weekend at the Hillsborough County XC Championship Meet.
- Geiger opened up his season on the Holloway Park course at the Seffner Christian Invitational in a time of 16:31. This past weekend he ran the same course and dropped over 25 seconds in the flrunners.com Race of Champions.
- He captured a PR of 15:56 at the North Port XC Invitational.
- Geiger leads the Robinson squad to a strong #2 ranking for 3A boys behind Belen Jesuit.
- Geiger will compete Jake Turner this Friday in their conference championship.
- Galloway started off his season at a 17:32 at the Mike Gibson Summertime Run. Since then, we have seen him drop a 16:19 at the Astronaut Invitational on the Chain of Lakes park.
- Galloway competed at the West Orange Invitational last week and ran a time of 16:13.
- Right now, Oviedo is ranked #4 for 4A boys, it will be interesting to see how they do on the ARP course next week at FSU Pre-State.
- Gibson opened up his season with a PR at the Lemon Bay Invitational in a time of 16:44. He ran a time of 16:17 on a fast course at North Port Invitational.
- This weekend, Gibson ran the flrunners.com Race of Champions in a time of 16:54.
- Naples is scheduled to compete this weekend at Disney.
- Going into the post season, it will be interesting to see Gibson's performance on the ARP course, head to head against some of these fellow Juniors.
flrunners.com Invitational Race of Champions
- Ortiz ran the flrunners.com Race of Champions this weekend and ran a time of 16:40.
- He has a steady season, running times in the low 17's mid 16 minute range.
- Ortiz currently leads the Windermere boys team to a #3 rank for 4A boys.
- If Ortiz and teammate, Liam Pirie can get down into the low 16's this championship season, we could potentially see Windermere on the podium.
Katie Caples Elite Race
- Denton ran a PR of 16:22 under the lights at the Katie Caples Invitational a couple weekends ago.
- He finished his 2017 season running 16:46. This season, Denton has had all of his races under this time and extremely consistent week after week.
- Denton and Mac Updike go back and forth from leading the Lake Wales team in races. Currently the team is ranked #4 for 2A boys. If they can get there 3-5 below the 17 minute barrier, we could see Lake Wales move into the top 3 4A teams.
Astronaut Invitational Varsity Race
- Kraver raced the Astronaut Invitational and captured a time of 16:45.
- He ran a PR of 16:22 at the Merritt Island Invite and then 17:10 the next week on Holloway Park at the flrunners.com invitational.
- It will be interesting to see Kraver's consistency moving forward into the championship season.
- O'Brien also ran the Astronaut Invitational in a time of 16:38. A few weekends ago, he raced a PR of 16:23 at the Shark Classic.
- This past track season, O'Brien ran PR's of 4:27 in the 1600m and 9:47 in the 3200m. To put this in perspective, O'Brien started his season running a 10:43 and then dropped that time nearly a minute over the course of a few months.
- Astronaut is scheduled to compete at the Windermere XC Invitational this weekend.
- Legg has only run three races this season. In a competitive field at the 5th annual Florida Horse Park Invite, Legg ran a time of 16:23.
- This past track season, he ran a PR of 9:35 in the 3200m.
- Legg will join the Geiger and Turner in their County Championships this weekend and then it's off to FSU Pre-State.