What a weekend! Tons of national elite performances, photo finishes, and great track and field in the state capital. Check out all the photos, race videos, interviews, and results from the 2014 FSU Relays.
- Complete Results & Meet Coverage
- Day Two Featured Photo Album By Randy Settle (1321 Photos!)
- Day Two Featured Photo Album By Cassie Armstrong
- Day One Featured Photo Album By Randy Settle (1102 Photos)
- Day One Featured Photo Album By Cassie Armstrong (175 Photos)
- Race Video/Interviews By Justin Britton
Day Two Highlights:
- Anclote sophomore Emily Gauvey takes the high jump with a leap of 5-04.
- Three weeks after hitting a new personal best of 13-0, Lake Mary's Erica Sergeant soars 12-7 to win the girl's pole vault.
- How about Jobi Finau? The Pine Forest senior improved his best of 184-8 by five feet, hurling the disc 189-6! That mark is a new state leader and US#2 behind Anthony Dudley of Texas who has thrown 189-7 this year.
- North Florida Christian senior and University of Florida signee Darrielle McQueen once again triple jumped her way over the 40 foot mark. McQueen, a four-time triple jump state champion (she won as an 8th grader), will seek her fifth title in the coming weeks. Sophomore Brandon Bell of Pensacola won the boy's triple jump with a mark of 44-0.
- Escambia junior D'Erica Goldsmith of Escambia picked up a win in the shot put with a mark of 38-05.75 while West Florida junior Dane Stolsig had a winning throw of 53-2.25
- Chiles sophomore Alexandra Wallace cruises to victory in the consolation 3200m this morning with a time of 11:34.28.
- Four sections of the boys consolation 3200m and Chiles completed the sweep with Jared Grigas winning the boys race in 9:44.13.
- Cypress Creek sophomore Kaley Schmick set a five second personal best in the girls consolation 1600 meter run crossing the line in 5:18.25. The next five runners were underclassmen who all came in under 5:26. A very bright future ahead for these ladies!
- Twenty five boys went under 4:40 in the consolation 1600 meter run lead by last year's outdoor state champion David Yarborough who went 4:24.57. Nick Monson, Caden Ewing, James Connor Daughton, and Andrew Cacciatore were all under 4:30.
- Tallahassee Lincoln outlasts Northside (Columbus) in the girls 4x200m relay with a top ten time in the state of 1:43.42. Penscaola won the boys race in 1:29.16 with Leon, Fort Walton Beach, and Harrison Central coming in behind.
- Pine Forest freshman Michaela Thompson could be the next great hurdler in line for the school. She won the 300m hurdles in 46.57. Chiles senior Justin Cromartie completed the hurdle sweep, after winning the 110's Friday, and coming back with the sixth fastest time in the state of 38.63.
- Speaking of doubles, Emily Edwards improved on her season best of 5:00.46 set last week at the USF/Steinbrenner Invitational with a sub five minute, 4:57.55, the fastest in the state and fifteenth fastest in the country.. Eight other girls went under 5:10 on the afternoon, proving the distance depth we have statewide.
- In the boy's race Greeneville High School's (TN) Wesley Pectol broke Andres Arroyo's meet record of 4:11.76 with a time of 4:09.72. Nick Morken who had a very impressive weekend finishing first in the 800 and anchoring the school's winning 4x8 was second in a neck and neck battle with Ryan Rodriguez of Belen Jesuit. Morken crossed the line in 4:15.82 with Rodriguez five one-hundredths back in 4:15.87. The top eleven runners were all under 4:20.
- Lake Highland Prep and Southern Cal signee Deanna Hill false started in the girl's 100 meter dash opening up the door for Lincoln standout Jadzia Beasley who helped the Trojans to several relay titles, winning in 12.17. Kendal Williams, running on his future track at FSU won the boys event easily in 10.86 a week after running a US#1 10.28 at the Bob Hayes Invitational.
(Photos by Cassie Armstrong)
Sukhi Khosla ran a US#2 time of 8:59.50 to win the 3200 while Emily Edwards and Emma Rudman battled it out with Edwards coming out on top by two one-hundredths of a second and a state-leading time of 10:50.94. We have your one stop shop for everything FSU Relays.
- Four pole vaulters hit at least 14 feet. Michael Carr, a junior from Westside Heights cleared 14-06 to beat out Carson Waters, David Bell and Darrin Meeker.
- In a match up that could play out once again at the 1A state meet, Holy Trinity and Stanford bound senior Daryth Gayles leaped a very impressive 19-4 to win the long jump over Florida bound Darrielle McQueen (18-06) who won the long jump and triple jump state championship last year.
- *Estero takes girls 4x800 meter relay win with a time of 9:29.77 just shy of the meet record of 9:28.11 set in 2011 by Pine Forest. Their time is the fourth fastest in Florida and US#6. The Wildcats four-some consisted of sophomore Daley Cline and seniors Bethany Jenkins, Araceli Leon, and Katie Slater. Fort Walton Beach was second in 9:34.56 with Pine Crest third in a time of 9:40.40.
- In the boys 4x800m relay, Niceville and Bloomingdale both dipped under eight minutes posting the top two times in Florida; 7:51.69 and 7:54.71 respectively. They rank fourth and sixth nationally for the 2014 season. One coach told me he had Niceville anchor Nick Morken clocked at 1:53.35!
- Chiles senior Justin Cromartie didn't have to travel far to pick up his victory in the 110m hurdles. He picked up his third win on the year with a time of 14.63. Florida High Senior Brittany Corbett wins the 100m hurdles in 14.97.
- A week after running in New York at New Balance Nationals Indoor, Gaby Gayles clocks the fourth fastest time in Florida and US#5 of 55.15 for 400 meters. It was also a new season best for the Holy Trinity and Stanford bound senior. Lake Highland Prep senior and Southern Cal signee Deanna Hill was second in 56.06. Cameron Trammell, a junior from Lanett, Alabama, won the boys quarter mile in 49.40, which would give him the fifth fastest time in the state.
- Holy Trinity girls tack on ten more points with a win in the 4x100: Daryth & Gaby Gayles along with Mckenzie Kilborne, and Aisha Pound clocked a time of 48.38. Lincoln second in 49.00 with Northside (Columbus) third in 49.35. Fort Walton Beach victorious on the boy's side with a time of 43 seconds on the dot.
- Nine girls under 2:20 for the 800. Wakulla senior Maddie Harris put on a show on her future track. The FSU signee went 2:14.67 just shy of her personal best of her state leading mark of 2:14.39. Lake Brantley sophomore Sinclaire Johnson continued her spectacular season with a time of 2:15.93 the seconds fastest behind only Harris. Fellow future Seminoles Katlie Slater and Kayla Thomas were third and fourth respeticively in 2:16.41 and 2;17.11 rspectively.
- The boys 800 meter run followed right after and the fellas' must have been taking notes. Nick Morken who split a 1:53 anchor leg in the first event of the day, proved that wasn't a fluke. The 2013 state champion in the 1600 meters crossed the line in 1:53. 45 with ten others coming in behind him under two minutes. His mark his the fastest in the state and US#2. Pine Crest senior John Decker clocked a time of 1:54.84 to come in second while Kevin Heron, Zackery Summerall, and Rayford James rounded out the top five all in 1:55 and change.
- Six girls under 11:00 which means a new top six in the state. Emily Edwards and Emma Rudman took it down to the wire with Edwards winning by two one hundredths of a second! Edwards crossed the line in 10:50.94 with Rudman coming in at 10:50.96. Right behind them was Bolles sophomore Mackenzie Wilson and Cardinal Mooney senior Grace Cassagrande who had their own battle with times of 10:51.43 and 10:51.69 respectively. Julia Montgomery (10:53.78) and Karen Xiang (10:55.51). The times rank the group in the top twenty-five nationally.
- Holy Sukhi! He was this week's Athlete of the Week for his incredible double at Bolles where he went 4:13 and 9:11. This week he does it one better. Definitely not sick, the Leon junior runs a state leading and US#2 3200m with at ime of 8:59.50. His time also breaks the oldest meet record at the FSU Relays set in 2010 by current FSU standout and Leon alum Matt Mizereck who ran 9:02.87. The closest competitor was Nick O'Brien of Georgia who was ten seconds back in 9:11.09. Niceville senior and University of Florida bound Thomas Howell, the reigning state champion at 3200 meters was third in 9:11.27, the second fastest time in Florida, and US#7. Ryan Rodriguez was fourth in 9:15.49.
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Brittany Corbett (Florida High School) 14.97 SB;
- 100 Meter Dash - Jadzia Beasley (Lincoln HS) 12.17;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Emily Edwards (Fort Myers HS) 4:57.55 SB; Emily Harding (Sarasota HS) 5:01.35 SB; Charlotte Stephens (Winter Park HS) 5:04.89 SB; Julia Montgomery (Pine Crest HS) 5:05.37 SB; Karen Xiang (Nease HS) 5:05.57 SB; Denae Chapman (Circle Christian School) 5:06.35 SB; Emma Rudman (Fort Walton Beach HS) 5:06.70 SB; Katie Slater (Estero HS) 5:07.71 SB; Emily Stallings(Providence School) 5:09.31 SB; Alex Eaton (Shorecrest Prep) 5:10.01 SB; Sinclaire Johnson (Lake Brantley HS) 5:12.54 SB; Allison Cheeseman (Brentwood Academy) 5:12.61 SB; Lourdes Brea (Our Lady of Lourdes Academy) 5:12.69 SB; Daley Cline (Estero HS) 5:13.29 SB; Katherine Kuhn (Winter Park HS) 5:14.14 SB; Elizabeth Jenkins (Winter Park HS) 5:14.54 SB; Claire Cheeseman(Brentwood Academy) 5:15.00 SB;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Emily Edwards (Fort Myers HS) 10:50.94 SB; Emma Rudman (Fort Walton Beach HS) 10:50.96 SB; Mackenzie Wilson (Bolles HS) 10:51.43 SB; Grace Casagrande (Cardinal Mooney HS) 10:51.69 SB; Julia Montgomery (Pine Crest HS) 10:53.78 SB; Karen Xiang (Nease HS) 10:55.51 SB; Allison Cheeseman (Brentwood Academy) 11:04.62 SB; Tsion Yared (Pine Crest HS) 11:12.09 SB; Mallory Young (Signal Mountain High School) 11:12.98 SB; Charlotte Stephens (Winter Park HS) 11:19.21 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - Gabrielle Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 55.15 SB; Deanna Hill (Lake Highland Prep HS) 56.06; Janaya Chambers (Stanton Prep) 57.33 SB;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Stanton Prep 3:50.30;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Estero HS 9:29.77; Fort Walton Beach HS 9:34.56; Pine Crest HS 9:40.40; Wharton HS 9:41.37;
- 800 Meter Run - Madison Harris (Wakulla HS) 2:14.67; Sinclaire Johnson (Lake Brantley HS) 2:15.93 SB; Katie Slater (Estero HS) 2:16.41 SB; Kayla Thomas (Stanton Prep) 2:17.11; Emily Harding(Sarasota HS) 2:18.86 SB; Emily Stallings (Providence School) 2:19.11 SB; Daley Cline (Estero HS) 2:19.67 SB;
- Discus - Bryana Scott (Thomas County Central High School) 122-9 SB; Sophia Bergmann (Niceville HS) 120-5 SB;
- High Jump - Emily Gauvey (Anclote HS) 5-4; Erica Edwards (Thomas County Central High School) 5-4;
- Long Jump - Daryth Gayles (Holy Trinity Academy) 19-4; Darrielle McQueen (North Florida Christian) 18-6; Wilena Little (Springstead HS) 17-9 SB;
- Pole Vault - Erica Sergeant (Lake Mary HS) 12-7; Jennifer Kistemaker (Osceola HS (Seminole)) 11-6; Nikki Vandervelde (Episcopal School of Jacksonville) 11-6; Kelsey Stern (St. Johns Country Day School) 11-6 SB; Frances Rice (Bolles HS) 10-6; Olivia Welsh (Dunedin HS) 10-6; Taylor Logue (Pine Crest HS) 10-6 SB;
- Shot Put - D'Erica Goldsmith (Escambia HS) 38-5.75;
- Triple Jump - Darrielle McQueen (North Florida Christian) 40-2.75w; Brianna Watts-Pittman (Lincoln HS) 36-4.5;
- 110 Meter Hurdles - Justin Cromartie (Chiles HS) 14.63;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Wesley Pectol (Greeneville High School) 4:09.42 SB; David Yarborough (Bishop Kenny HS) 4:24.57 SB; Nicholas Morken (Niceville HS) 4:15.82 SB; Ryan Rodriguez (Belen Jesuit Preparatory School) 4:15.87 SB; Adam Wallenfelsz (Leon HS) 4:17.02 SB; Avery Bartlett (Chiles HS) 4:17.15 SB; Zackery Summerall (Sarasota HS) 4:18.65 SB; Thomas Howell (Niceville HS) 4:18.71 SB; Rayford James (Robert E. Lee HS) 4:19.25 SB; Kaleb McLeod (Trinity Christian School) 4:19.51 SB; Connor Ferrentino (Freedom HS (Orlando)) 4:19.65; Nik O'brien (North Augusta) 4:19.75 SB;Adam Bradtmueller (Sarasota HS) 4:20.54 SB; Gabriel Correa (Ransom Everglades School) 4:21.22 SB; Sean Turner (Chiles HS) 4:22.16 SB; Tyler Bennett (Fort Myers HS) 4:23.37 SB; Dean McGregor(Fort Myers HS) 4:24.17 SB; Trey LaNasa (Fort Walton Beach HS) 4:24.72 SB; John Decker (Pine Crest HS) 4:24.74 SB;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Justin Cromartie (Chiles HS) 38.63 SB;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Sukhi Khosla (Leon HS) 8:59.50 SB; Nik O'brien (North Augusta) 9:11.09 SB; Thomas Howell (Niceville HS) 9:11.27 SB; Ryan Rodriguez (Belen Jesuit Preparatory School) 9:15.49 SB; Christian Bowles (Lakeside, Evans) 9:19.10 SB; Mark Robertson (Pensacola Booker T. Washington HS) 9:20.04 SB; Tyler Bennett (Fort Myers HS) 9:20.62 SB; Kaleb McLeod (Trinity Christian School) 9:20.80 SB; Jack Guyton (HB Plant HS) 9:23.86 SB; James Zentmeyer (Sickles HS) 9:25.47 SB; Alejandro Pedraza (Golden Gate HS) 9:26.44 SB; Noah Kemp (St. Augustine HS) 9:26.96 SB;Fabian Tomas (Belen Jesuit Preparatory School) 9:27.31 SB; Leonel Delacruz (Immokalee HS) 9:27.95 SB; Adam Bradtmueller (Sarasota HS) 9:28.22 SB; Andrew Cacciatore (Holy Trinity Academy) 9:29.64 SB; Zach Weaver (Greeneville High School) 9:30.00 SB; Dean McGregor (Fort Myers HS) 9:30.79 SB; Gabriel Correa (Ransom Everglades School) 9:35.39 SB; Blake Riley (Sarasota Riverview HS) 9:36.54 SB; Cade Zimmerman (Chiles HS) 9:39.58 SB; Daniel Glick (Unity Christian School) 9:39.70 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - Cameron Trammell (Lanett ) 49.40 SB;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Pensacola HS 1:29.16;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Florida High School 3:21.35;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Niceville HS 7:51.69; Bloomingdale HS 7:54.71; Belen Jesuit Preparatory School 8:01.81; Fort Walton Beach HS 8:08.35;
- 800 Meter Run - Nicholas Morken (Niceville HS) 1:53.45 SB; John Decker (Pine Crest HS) 1:54.84 SB; Kevin Heron (Bloomingdale HS) 1:55.07 SB; Zackery Summerall (Sarasota HS) 1:55.40 SB;Rayford James (Robert E. Lee HS) 1:55.82 SB; Calahan Warren (Auburndale HS) 1:57.47 SB; Max Robinson (Lake Brantley HS) 1:57.77 SB;
- Discus - Jobi Finau (Pine Forest HS) 189-6 SB; Brandon Tirado (Gulf Coast HS) 172-2 SB; Jeremiah Theus (Bolles HS) 155-8; Dane Stolsig (West Florida Tech HS) 155-8;
- High Jump - Bobby Harris (Springstead HS) 6-8; Corion Knight (Wakulla HS) 6-8; Jerin Allen (Harrison Central HS) 6-6 SB;
- Long Jump - Corey Williams (Sarasota HS) 23-1.75 SB;
- Pole Vault - Michael Carr (Westside High School) 14-6 SB; David Bell (Bishop Kenny HS) 14-0; Carson Waters (Osceola HS (Seminole)) 14-0; Darin Meeker (Maclay School) 14-0;
- Shot Put - Dane Stolsig (West Florida Tech HS) 53-2.25; David May (Fleming Island HS) 52-3.75; Devin Estes (Leon HS) 51-11.25;