Rain, Rain, Go Away!!!
04/29/2014 1:08:04 PM
User
Are we up for another rain soaked state final weekend? Say it isn't so!!!
Are we up for another rain soaked state final weekend? Say it isn't so!!!
04/30/2014 10:15:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jbrea Weather looks good for Saturday, with rain ending early in the morning. Looks like Friday might be a wet affair though.
@jbrea Weather looks good for Saturday, with rain ending early in the morning. Looks like Friday might be a wet affair though.
04/30/2014 11:44:27 AM
User
It wasn't just the rain last year for the 3A meet, the wind is what really made it bad. Worst conditions we ever ran in. Everyone had to run in it but it was still miserable conditions. I was watching one race and the wind gust turned my golf umbrella inside out. And hopefully if it is poor weather they will put the podium inside this year. That was a big disappointment not having the podium to get some pictures.
It wasn't just the rain last year for the 3A meet, the wind is what really made it bad. Worst conditions we ever ran in. Everyone had to run in it but it was still miserable conditions. I was watching one race and the wind gust turned my golf umbrella inside out. And hopefully if it is poor weather they will put the podium inside this year. That was a big disappointment not having the podium to get some pictures.
04/30/2014 3:40:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I heard there is a meeting scheduled for 9pm tomorrow to decide what to do about Friday as it does appear that it is going to be a nasty day. Based on weather predictions, Saturday looks like it will have it's fair share of rain as well. What are the options?
I heard there is a meeting scheduled for 9pm tomorrow to decide what to do about Friday as it does appear that it is going to be a nasty day. Based on weather predictions, Saturday looks like it will have it's fair share of rain as well.

What are the options?
04/30/2014 3:47:57 PM
User
Last year the only option was to run in it. I can't imagine this weekend could be any worse. Those that were there can attest to that.
Last year the only option was to run in it. I can't imagine this weekend could be any worse. Those that were there can attest to that.
04/30/2014 3:54:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=mavery93]Last year the only option was to run in it. I can't imagine this weekend could be any worse. Those that were there can attest to that.[/quote] Well, there's talk of lightening and the possibility of tornadoes. Both would limit (if not eliminate) just how much can be done. Even if it's just a rain event, what happens to some of the field events?
mavery93 wrote:

Well, there's talk of lightening and the possibility of tornadoes. Both would limit (if not eliminate) just how much can be done. Even if it's just a rain event, what happens to some of the field events?
04/30/2014 4:17:44 PM
User
Last year they just went with it in 3A....that's the only one I attended....it was raining buckets and very windy....there was no lightening though....as for the field events they just went with it.....
Last year they just went with it in 3A....that's the only one I attended....it was raining buckets and very windy....there was no lightening though....as for the field events they just went with it.....
04/30/2014 4:37:38 PM
User
@mavery93 What kind of feedback did you get from the kids after they ran last year in the rain? Was it slippery? Did anyone fall? I have never been to a meet in the rain. Not sure what to expect. Thanks
@mavery93

What kind of feedback did you get from the kids after they ran last year in the rain? Was it slippery? Did anyone fall? I have never been to a meet in the rain. Not sure what to expect. Thanks
04/30/2014 5:29:34 PM
User
My daughter's attitude was it's the same conditions for everyone and just tried to race her best. The times were slow and I think everyone wished for better weather. Don't remember anyone falling.
My daughter's attitude was it's the same conditions for everyone and just tried to race her best. The times were slow and I think everyone wished for better weather. Don't remember anyone falling.
04/30/2014 5:32:12 PM
User
@mavery93 Thanks
@mavery93 Thanks
04/30/2014 6:57:48 PM
User
Last years 3A high jump only had two boys out of 16 clear the opening height.
Last years 3A high jump only had two boys out of 16 clear the opening height.
04/30/2014 7:14:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would hope vault and discus would be postponed ... You can high jump in rain somewhat ( but vaulting in slippery confitions is a lawsuit waiting to happen.. There's no reason vault couldn't be at night if need be
I would hope vault and discus would be postponed ... You can high jump in rain somewhat ( but vaulting in slippery confitions is a lawsuit waiting to happen.. There's no reason vault couldn't be at night if need be
04/30/2014 8:04:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Could always postpone finals till 6pm and have no real issue with rain since it looks like it supposed to end around that time and be clear afterward
Could always postpone finals till 6pm and have no real issue with rain since it looks like it supposed to end around that time and be clear afterward
04/30/2014 8:39:06 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@mbecker Indoor vault anyone??? Drake Relays just did their vaulting in a shopping mall.
@mbecker Indoor vault anyone??? Drake Relays just did their vaulting in a shopping mall.
04/30/2014 8:43:17 PM
User
@mbecker The mechanics of the high jump consist of an arcing run up with a firm plant and takeoff (transitioning the lateral momentum to vertical energy). When it is raining buckets (as it was during the 4A Girls High Jump last year) and you slip during the plant, you careen into the mat (if you are lucky) or the standards (as happened to many of the competitors, last year). So, neither of the vertical jumps is particularly safe in the rain.
@mbecker The mechanics of the high jump consist of an arcing run up with a firm plant and takeoff (transitioning the lateral momentum to vertical energy). When it is raining buckets (as it was during the 4A Girls High Jump last year) and you slip during the plant, you careen into the mat (if you are lucky) or the standards (as happened to many of the competitors, last year). So, neither of the vertical jumps is particularly safe in the rain.
04/30/2014 8:44:30 PM
User
@Jason They had a high jump exhibition in a local grocery store, too.
@Jason They had a high jump exhibition in a local grocery store, too.
04/30/2014 8:57:47 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@peterwho Yeah, probably why we saw Stacey Destin NH last year at state.
@peterwho Yeah, probably why we saw Stacey Destin NH last year at state.
04/30/2014 9:00:13 PM
User
For the 4A runners, the moving up and compression of the schedule was more of an issue than the weather.
For the 4A runners, the moving up and compression of the schedule was more of an issue than the weather.
04/30/2014 9:09:39 PM
User
@Jason And Sandra Akachukwu, as well. It was so frustrating to watch these girls struggle with the conditions.
@Jason And Sandra Akachukwu, as well. It was so frustrating to watch these girls struggle with the conditions.
04/30/2014 9:16:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Peter who Of course you are right about high jump but pole vault liabilities infinitely worse .
Peter who

Of course you are right about high jump but pole vault liabilities infinitely worse .

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.