Article Comment: Pennsylvania ready to make a big splash at Foot Locker and NXN Northeast Regionals!
11/26/2014 6:51:56 PM
User
Jake Brophy also lost at Briarwood to Jaxson Hoey. Too bad Jaxson got injured early in the season. He was awesome at Briarwood. Brophy is running super now at the most important time of the season.
Jake Brophy also lost at Briarwood to Jaxson Hoey. Too bad Jaxson got injured early in the season. He was awesome at Briarwood. Brophy is running super now at the most important time of the season.
11/26/2014 10:04:16 PM
User
Cardinal OHara girls ran last year placing 16th
Cardinal OHara girls ran last year placing 16th
11/27/2014 12:24:16 PM
User
Here are my top 20 predictions for the Footlocker Meet! I'll post my stuff for NXN tomorrow. I just want to say a very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Especially Don Rich and Lex Mercado for magically returning my account to me today after a two month ban. I greatly appreciate it. 1. CT - Alex Ostberg, SR Darien 200.90 Ostberg is going to win this race. Not much more to say about that. Oh, well me also might get the CR. Kids a beast. 2. PA - Jake Brophy, JR Central Bucks East 196.50 I’m starting to like the concept more and more of PA State winners (as juniors) making it to FL nationals. Brophy’s time of 15:24 is slowly starting to settle in. I’m going back on my earlier prediction of Abert beating him. I think he’s a lock at top 3 with Ostberg and Brannigan. Brannigan has been shaky this season and is on an off every meet. If he races poorly I have no doubt Brophy will take him down. 3. NJ - Luke Petela, SR Haddon Township 194.33 Petela has looked really fantastic the past two weekends in NJ coming up with strong wins back to back. He seems to be the top of his class in NJ other than maybe Edwin Rutto who did not race, but is signed up for FL. Either way though I think Petela will be the top NJ finisher and place 3rd overall. 4. PA - Colin Abert, SR Easton Area 193.67 I don’t know why, but I’ve got this strong gut feeling Abert will pull this one out for a top 5 finish. He was 13th last season and the 2nd returner. He’s been a stud this season and had a poor race at states for the first time in his life really going after a record. I think he bounces back and all of his season’s hard work pays of in a big way. I like his finishing speed and his strength in a big time race like this. 5. MA - Nick Carleo, SR Newburyport 193.00 Carleo has been flying slightly under the radar this season. He was sick as his state meet two weekends ago and won by 6 seconds by just racing very casually. He seems super fit and ready to go and I think he’ll do just that in a big way with a 5th place finish. I’d be shocked if he missed Nats. 6. NJ - Shawn Hutchison, SR Bishop Eustace Prep 192.00 Every year it seems as though New Jersey has some runner drop a bomb of MoC’s and they go on to make nationals. For the NJ and NY guys the Regional race is very much on a swing of upward momentum. Hutchinson has the momentum right now and I think he makes it. 7. NY - Mike Brannigan, SR Northport 191.87 I can’t believe I’m putting an 4:08/8:52 guy at 7th in the region, but Brannigan is so up and down. He is on every other race and frankly might not make it out of the region if he has a terrible day. I’m putting him 7th because I think he does well, but not fantastic and gets to nationals (where I believe he’ll finish top 10). That being said if he’s on he could really challenge Ostberg. 8. NY – Benito Muniz, SR Carmel 190.00 I’m not totally sure what to do with Muniz. It seems smart of him to go the FL route instead of the New York regional, but I think he is a strong enough runner to make it either way. 8th seems like the perfect spot for a very consistent runner like Muniz. I think the top 8 guys listed above are all just about locks to make it to the national meet out of the Footlocker region. The ending here is where things will get very, very tricky. I am going to assume that Edwin Rutto is done for the season here. If he is healthy, then he is also a lock for the national meet, which gives us just one spot left. But for now we have two and I’ll explain who I’ve got, but again, it’s going to come down to a kick, heart, but ultimately, who is having the best day when it comes to regionals. 9. PA - Casey Comber, SR Hatboro Horsham 189.00 Casey Comber and Jake Brophy are absolute rivals. Comber took down Brophy last year at XC Leagues, but Brophy beat him at Districts and hasn’t looked back since. Comber is not afraid of a fast pace and is willing to push to the very end. He won’t let Brophy out of his sight and although he’ll fade in the last 800m Comber has the will and strength to make it to nationals. 10. CT - Ari Klau, SR Hall 189.00 We haven’t seen Klau race in a few weeks and he placed second to a very, very strong Ostberg at the New England championships. I think he steps it up with a pack of runners his level and grabs this final spot. 11. PA - Sam Ritz, SR Germantown Academy 188.67 Ritz’s best race of the season came at Manhattan where he placed 13th overall. He ran 4:11 as a sophomore, but has been slow to progress from there, but this XC season he’s looked strong and he just dropped a 9:10 on the track for 3200. If this race gets a little slow Ritz’s kick could bring him to Nat’s. 12. MD - Evan Woods, SR Walt Whitman 188.33 You probably think I’m crazy for putting Evan Woods down so low, but there is a reason for this. Historically Maryland runners do very poorly at the NE Regional. They run fantastic at the Nike Southeast however. I don’t know if it’s the temperature or what, but that’s what I’ve noticed. Woods has the talent to place in the top 6 or 7. Only reason he’s not on is history, and for that I apologize. 13. NJ - Dominick Munson, SR Timber Creek 188.00 Munson is another runner on the upswing from the NJ Meet of Champions. He might be able to sneak in, but I don’t think he has what it takes to make it in and will place ~15th. 14. MA - Quinn Cooney, SR Chelmsford 187.67 Much like Shawn Hutchinson Cooney is coming off of a very strong race where he won the MA Division I State Meet (Carleo is Division II). This momentum could help Cooney make it to the national meet, but he won on a final kick and I think it’ll be his best race of the season. 15. Dominic Hockenbury, JR Lake-Lehman 187.33 Hockenbury is a total stud from PA who does not get enough credit. He trained last season and this summer with Dominic Deluca who ran 8:21 for 3k at the Penn Relays and finished 4th @ Heps this year for Cornell (Also top Northeast Regional Freshman). Hockenbury solo’d an SR of 182.67 just to get on this list when he broke 16 minutes on a very hard states course in the ‘A’ race. Usually that’s an SR of 185 or higher, but due to the incredibly fast ‘AAA’ race lead by the stud Jake Brophy (2nd on this list). He had his best race of the season by far at Regionals last year and I think he does it again here. 16. NJ - Matt Grossman, SO Millburn 187.00 Grossman is a total stud. My goodness getting an SR of 187 as a sophomore is kinda ridiculous. If he continues to improve on this curve he could challenge Jake Brophy next season. I’m glad he’s racing this meet for the valuable experience, but unless he drops a bomb I think he misses out on nationals this season. 17. NY – Jack Jibb, SR Monroe Woodbury 186.33 18. MA - Lucas Taxter, SR Xaverian 185.67 19. NH - Eli Moskowitz, SR Souhegan 184.67 20. PA - Sebastian Curtin, Mercyhurst Prep 184.50 --Forrest Kentwell
Here are my top 20 predictions for the Footlocker Meet! I'll post my stuff for NXN tomorrow. I just want to say a very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Especially Don Rich and Lex Mercado for magically returning my account to me today after a two month ban. I greatly appreciate it.

1. CT - Alex Ostberg, SR Darien 200.90
Ostberg is going to win this race. Not much more to say about that. Oh, well me also might get the CR. Kids a beast.

2. PA - Jake Brophy, JR Central Bucks East 196.50
I'm starting to like the concept more and more of PA State winners (as juniors) making it to FL nationals. Brophy's time of 15:24 is slowly starting to settle in. I'm going back on my earlier prediction of Abert beating him. I think he's a lock at top 3 with Ostberg and Brannigan. Brannigan has been shaky this season and is on an off every meet. If he races poorly I have no doubt Brophy will take him down.

3. NJ - Luke Petela, SR Haddon Township 194.33
Petela has looked really fantastic the past two weekends in NJ coming up with strong wins back to back. He seems to be the top of his class in NJ other than maybe Edwin Rutto who did not race, but is signed up for FL. Either way though I think Petela will be the top NJ finisher and place 3rd overall.

4. PA - Colin Abert, SR Easton Area 193.67
I don't know why, but I've got this strong gut feeling Abert will pull this one out for a top 5 finish. He was 13th last season and the 2nd returner. He's been a stud this season and had a poor race at states for the first time in his life really going after a record. I think he bounces back and all of his season's hard work pays of in a big way. I like his finishing speed and his strength in a big time race like this.

5. MA - Nick Carleo, SR Newburyport 193.00
Carleo has been flying slightly under the radar this season. He was sick as his state meet two weekends ago and won by 6 seconds by just racing very casually. He seems super fit and ready to go and I think he'll do just that in a big way with a 5th place finish. I'd be shocked if he missed Nats.

6. NJ - Shawn Hutchison, SR Bishop Eustace Prep 192.00
Every year it seems as though New Jersey has some runner drop a bomb of MoC's and they go on to make nationals. For the NJ and NY guys the Regional race is very much on a swing of upward momentum. Hutchinson has the momentum right now and I think he makes it.

7. NY - Mike Brannigan, SR Northport 191.87
I can't believe I'm putting an 4:08/8:52 guy at 7th in the region, but Brannigan is so up and down. He is on every other race and frankly might not make it out of the region if he has a terrible day. I'm putting him 7th because I think he does well, but not fantastic and gets to nationals (where I believe he'll finish top 10). That being said if he's on he could really challenge Ostberg.

8. NY -- Benito Muniz, SR Carmel 190.00
I'm not totally sure what to do with Muniz. It seems smart of him to go the FL route instead of the New York regional, but I think he is a strong enough runner to make it either way. 8th seems like the perfect spot for a very consistent runner like Muniz.

I think the top 8 guys listed above are all just about locks to make it to the national meet out of the Footlocker region. The ending here is where things will get very, very tricky. I am going to assume that Edwin Rutto is done for the season here. If he is healthy, then he is also a lock for the national meet, which gives us just one spot left. But for now we have two and I'll explain who I've got, but again, it's going to come down to a kick, heart, but ultimately, who is having the best day when it comes to regionals.

9. PA - Casey Comber, SR Hatboro Horsham 189.00
Casey Comber and Jake Brophy are absolute rivals. Comber took down Brophy last year at XC Leagues, but Brophy beat him at Districts and hasn't looked back since. Comber is not afraid of a fast pace and is willing to push to the very end. He won't let Brophy out of his sight and although he'll fade in the last 800m Comber has the will and strength to make it to nationals.

10. CT - Ari Klau, SR Hall 189.00
We haven't seen Klau race in a few weeks and he placed second to a very, very strong Ostberg at the New England championships. I think he steps it up with a pack of runners his level and grabs this final spot.

11. PA - Sam Ritz, SR Germantown Academy 188.67
Ritz's best race of the season came at Manhattan where he placed 13th overall. He ran 4:11 as a sophomore, but has been slow to progress from there, but this XC season he's looked strong and he just dropped a 9:10 on the track for 3200. If this race gets a little slow Ritz's kick could bring him to Nat's.

12. MD - Evan Woods, SR Walt Whitman 188.33
You probably think I'm crazy for putting Evan Woods down so low, but there is a reason for this. Historically Maryland runners do very poorly at the NE Regional. They run fantastic at the Nike Southeast however. I don't know if it's the temperature or what, but that's what I've noticed. Woods has the talent to place in the top 6 or 7. Only reason he's not on is history, and for that I apologize.

13. NJ - Dominick Munson, SR Timber Creek 188.00
Munson is another runner on the upswing from the NJ Meet of Champions. He might be able to sneak in, but I don't think he has what it takes to make it in and will place ~15th.

14. MA - Quinn Cooney, SR Chelmsford 187.67
Much like Shawn Hutchinson Cooney is coming off of a very strong race where he won the MA Division I State Meet (Carleo is Division II). This momentum could help Cooney make it to the national meet, but he won on a final kick and I think it'll be his best race of the season.

15. Dominic Hockenbury, JR Lake-Lehman 187.33
Hockenbury is a total stud from PA who does not get enough credit. He trained last season and this summer with Dominic Deluca who ran 8:21 for 3k at the Penn Relays and finished 4th @ Heps this year for Cornell (Also top Northeast Regional Freshman). Hockenbury solo'd an SR of 182.67 just to get on this list when he broke 16 minutes on a very hard states course in the 'A' race. Usually that's an SR of 185 or higher, but due to the incredibly fast 'AAA' race lead by the stud Jake Brophy (2nd on this list). He had his best race of the season by far at Regionals last year and I think he does it again here.

16. NJ - Matt Grossman, SO Millburn 187.00
Grossman is a total stud. My goodness getting an SR of 187 as a sophomore is kinda ridiculous. If he continues to improve on this curve he could challenge Jake Brophy next season. I'm glad he's racing this meet for the valuable experience, but unless he drops a bomb I think he misses out on nationals this season.
17. NY -- Jack Jibb, SR Monroe Woodbury 186.33
18. MA - Lucas Taxter, SR Xaverian 185.67
19. NH - Eli Moskowitz, SR Souhegan 184.67
20. PA - Sebastian Curtin, Mercyhurst Prep 184.50

--Forrest Kentwell
12/07/2014 7:57:00 PM
User
Question about that top 50 list for NXN. Should that list really be based on time? Two different courses and some years the muddy conditions made times very slow. I haven't examined the list closely, but Savage and Pitone were two of the best performers for a team that was 5th at nats, but their times were quite slow. I would think the rank should be based on place? Others thoughts?
Question about that top 50 list for NXN. Should that list really be based on time? Two different courses and some years the muddy conditions made times very slow. I haven't examined the list closely, but Savage and Pitone were two of the best performers for a team that was 5th at nats, but their times were quite slow. I would think the rank should be based on place?

Others thoughts?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.