Track and Field Conditioning
12/26/2018 5:54:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have a question when can a Orange County high school team start conditioning for track and field, and what are the rule for doing conditioning.
I have a question when can a Orange County high school team start conditioning for track and field, and what are the rule for doing conditioning.
12/26/2018 8:43:48 PM
Power User
@jayhova91275 To my understanding running and conditioning can be done year round, minus Sundays during the school year. The rule of 3 applies just as football and baseball... You can always have 2 of the 3 present... Coach, Athlete, Equipment (ball hurdles, pole, etc).... So you can do drills, run laps, lift, year round as long as you stay away from the shot, disc, pole vault pole, the jumping pits, blocks, actual hurdles (think banana hurdles are ok) Or I am crazy and someone correct me
@jayhova91275
To my understanding running and conditioning can be done year round, minus Sundays during the school year.

The rule of 3 applies just as football and baseball...
You can always have 2 of the 3 present...
Coach, Athlete, Equipment
(ball hurdles, pole, etc)....

So you can do drills, run laps, lift, year round as long as you stay away from the shot, disc, pole vault pole, the jumping pits, blocks, actual hurdles (think banana hurdles are ok)

Or I am crazy and someone correct me
12/26/2018 9:00:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 thank you for the reply that’s what my understanding was also. As for winter break can we do conditioning.
@raycer131 thank you for the reply that's what my understanding was also. As for winter break can we do conditioning.
12/26/2018 9:04:18 PM
Power User
@jayhova91275 Any day buy Sunday according to FHSAA... unless your local school district has added restrictions... conditioning is fine...like I said just no track equipment at all Caveat... it cannot be mandatory
@jayhova91275
Any day buy Sunday according to FHSAA... unless your local school district has added restrictions... conditioning is fine...like I said just no track equipment at all

Caveat... it cannot be mandatory
12/26/2018 9:07:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 thank you
@raycer131 thank you
12/27/2018 7:50:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think its a bit unfair that Field Event athletes cannot Condition using their implements and equipment, but runners can. Runners can use the Track. It takes a long time to learn how to Pole Vault and do other field events correctly. Field event athletes should be allowed to condition with their equipment as well in my opinion.
I think its a bit unfair that Field Event athletes cannot Condition using their implements and equipment, but runners can. Runners can use the Track.
It takes a long time to learn how to Pole Vault and do other field events correctly. Field event athletes should be allowed to condition with their equipment as well in my opinion.
12/27/2018 1:56:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 I've never heard of the 2 of 3 Rule and it definitely can't be applied if there is a coach coaching their own athlete AND specific equipment (shot, discus, hrdles, pole, etc.) is out. Now....if I send my athlete to another coach from another school, then the specific equipment can be used. If a thrower grabs a Discus/Shot/Javelin and wants to throw on their own with no coach on staff present, then that is also allowable (for safety, there should be some adult supervision). Conditioning can happen 7 days a week as long as a coach from the team is not present on Sundays. Again, if a coach from another school or some adult decides to oversee your kids condition on Sundays, then that is o-kay. POLICY 21 OFF-SEASON CONDITIONING 21.1 Definitions. 21.1.1 Off-season. “Off-season” means the period of time during the regular school year but outside the defined sport season for a specific sport. 21.1.2 Sports Season. “Sports season” means the period of time for a specific school team in each respective sport that begins with the first permissible date of practice in that sport and ends either with 21.1.2.1 the last permissible date for a regular season contest (if not participating in Florida High School State Championship Series competition) in that sport; or 21.1.2.2 the date of the team’s elimination from Florida High School State Championship Series competition in that sport; or 21.1.2.3 the state championship game in that sport, whichever first occurs for that team. 21.1.3 Conditioning. Weight training is the use of free weights and stationary apparatus. Cardiovascular conditioning is distance and interval training. Plyometrics is the use of pre-set conditioning programs. Conditioning IS NOT teaching sport specific skills and drills, and DOES NOT involve the use of sport specific equipment (i.e. starting blocks, hurdles, rebounders, ball machines, bats, balls, rackets, etc.). 21.2 Off-season conditioning programs conducted by a school shall only be open to participation by all students attending that school or as per Bylaws 9.2.2.1, 9.2.2.2, 9.2.2.3, 9.2.2.4, 9.2.2.5 or 9.2.2.7. 21.3 Off-season conditioning program participants shall file with the school the “FHSAA Consent and Release of Liability Certificate” and the “FHSAA Pre-participation Physical Evaluation” form. 21.4 Participation shall be voluntary and shall not be required, either directly or indirectly, for membership on an interscholastic team. 21.5 Supervision by school personnel is required. 21.6 Schools shall provide information in the following areas: 21.6.1 Proper use of weight room equipment; 21.6.2 Proper weight training techniques; 21.6.3 Proper nutrition; 21.6.4 Proper cardiovascular conditioning techniques; 21.6.5 Ergogenics.
@raycer131

I've never heard of the 2 of 3 Rule and it definitely can't be applied if there is a coach coaching their own athlete AND specific equipment (shot, discus, hrdles, pole, etc.) is out. Now....if I send my athlete to another coach from another school, then the specific equipment can be used. If a thrower grabs a Discus/Shot/Javelin and wants to throw on their own with no coach on staff present, then that is also allowable (for safety, there should be some adult supervision). Conditioning can happen 7 days a week as long as a coach from the team is not present on Sundays. Again, if a coach from another school or some adult decides to oversee your kids condition on Sundays, then that is o-kay.

POLICY 21
OFF-SEASON CONDITIONING
21.1 Definitions.
21.1.1 Off-season. "Off-season" means the period of time during the regular school year but outside the defined sport season
for a specific sport.

21.1.2 Sports Season. "Sports season" means the period of time for a specific school team in each respective sport that begins
with the first permissible date of practice in that sport and ends either with

21.1.2.1 the last permissible date for a regular season contest (if not participating in Florida High School State
Championship Series competition) in that sport; or

21.1.2.2 the date of the team's elimination from Florida High School State Championship Series competition in that
sport; or

21.1.2.3 the state championship game in that sport, whichever first occurs for that team.

21.1.3 Conditioning. Weight training is the use of free weights and stationary apparatus. Cardiovascular conditioning is
distance and interval training. Plyometrics is the use of pre-set conditioning programs. Conditioning IS NOT teaching sport specific
skills and drills, and DOES NOT involve the use of sport specific equipment (i.e. starting blocks, hurdles, rebounders, ball machines,
bats, balls, rackets, etc.).

21.2 Off-season conditioning programs conducted by a school shall only be open to participation by all students attending that
school or as per Bylaws 9.2.2.1, 9.2.2.2, 9.2.2.3, 9.2.2.4, 9.2.2.5 or 9.2.2.7.

21.3 Off-season conditioning program participants shall file with the school the "FHSAA Consent and Release of Liability
Certificate" and the "FHSAA Pre-participation Physical Evaluation" form.

21.4 Participation shall be voluntary and shall not be required, either directly or indirectly, for membership on an interscholastic
team.

21.5 Supervision by school personnel is required.

21.6 Schools shall provide information in the following areas:

21.6.1 Proper use of weight room equipment;
21.6.2 Proper weight training techniques;
21.6.3 Proper nutrition;
21.6.4 Proper cardiovascular conditioning techniques;
21.6.5 Ergogenics.
12/27/2018 1:59:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@discusdad Student Athletes can condition with their implements and equipment as long as their coach is not present.
@discusdad

Student Athletes can condition with their implements and equipment as long as their coach is not present.
12/27/2018 2:03:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jayhova91275 [url=https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2010/09/15/node-184/1819_trackfield_manual.pdf]https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2010/09/15/node-184/1819_trackfield_manual.pdf[/url]
12/27/2018 3:00:33 PM
Power User
@multijumps Rule of 3 Can have Coach and Kids Can have Kids and Equipment Can have Coach and Equipment (no idea why) But not all 3 at once on off season
@multijumps
Rule of 3
Can have Coach and Kids
Can have Kids and Equipment
Can have Coach and Equipment (no idea why)
But not all 3 at once on off season
12/27/2018 5:01:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 My mind misinterpreted your post as I can't count during the Holidays. Too much figgy pudding.
@raycer131

My mind misinterpreted your post as I can't count during the Holidays. Too much figgy pudding.
12/27/2018 5:04:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So I've been told in the past that conditioning runners should not include doing timed repeats, intervals, etc. because the stop watch is equipment used in training. So conditioning for runners can include strength work, core work, and "going on runs" but not, for instance, 8 x 400 at 1:30 because that is training not conditioning. Any thoughts on this?
So I've been told in the past that conditioning runners should not include doing timed repeats, intervals, etc. because the stop watch is equipment used in training. So conditioning for runners can include strength work, core work, and "going on runs" but not, for instance, 8 x 400 at 1:30 because that is training not conditioning.
Any thoughts on this?
12/27/2018 6:35:54 PM
Power User
@CoachHoward I could see a case either way.. Cause it word for word says "interval training" is part of cardiovascular in the FHSAA handbook as quoted above, plus it says sport specific equipment, which a stop watch it not sport specific... but an argument could be made (though I would side with it being OK to do)
@CoachHoward
I could see a case either way..
Cause it word for word says "interval training" is part of cardiovascular in the FHSAA handbook as quoted above, plus it says sport specific equipment, which a stop watch it not sport specific... but an argument could be made (though I would side with it being OK to do)
12/27/2018 6:35:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoward That is interesting...But I would say watches are not "equipment" just like running shoes or socks are not. The definition of equipment (off the internet)....the necessary items for a particular purpose. You don't need shoes, socks, or a watch to run. You do need a Discus to throw Discus. You do need a hurdle to negotiate hurdles. You do need a high jump/pole vault pit to jump. Not only that, but the rule has the term "sport specific equipment" and watches are not specific to the sports of cross country or track & field. Any sport can use them.
@CoachHoward

That is interesting...But I would say watches are not "equipment" just like running shoes or socks are not. The definition of equipment (off the internet)....the necessary items for a particular purpose. You don't need shoes, socks, or a watch to run. You do need a Discus to throw Discus. You do need a hurdle to negotiate hurdles. You do need a high jump/pole vault pit to jump. Not only that, but the rule has the term "sport specific equipment" and watches are not specific to the sports of cross country or track & field. Any sport can use them.
12/27/2018 6:40:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 Good point. Interval training definitely implies time and/or space between something.
@raycer131

Good point. Interval training definitely implies time and/or space between something.
12/27/2018 7:00:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I also herd that the track was considered equipment. Is this true.
I also herd that the track was considered equipment. Is this true.
12/27/2018 7:25:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jayhova91275 No. Definition of equipment (Merriam-Webster) 1a : the set of articles or physical resources serving to equip a person or thing: such as (1) : the implements used in an operation or activity : APPARATUS sports equipment (2) : all the fixed assets other than land and buildings of a business enterprise (3) : the rolling stock of a railway b : a piece of such equipment 2a : the equipping of a person or thing b : the state of being equipped 3 : mental or emotional traits or resources : ENDOWMENT
@jayhova91275

No.

Definition of equipment (Merriam-Webster)
1a
: the set of articles or physical resources serving to equip a person or thing: such as
(1) : the implements used in an operation or activity : APPARATUS
sports equipment

(2) : all the fixed assets other than land and buildings of a business enterprise

(3) : the rolling stock of a railway

b : a piece of such equipment
2a : the equipping of a person or thing
b : the state of being equipped
3 : mental or emotional traits or resources : ENDOWMENT
12/28/2018 7:15:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps Thanks for the information. I would still like to see the rule changed, so athletes who want to condition can use their equipment with their coach supervising. I think it would be safer than the athlete training on his own with equipment Hurdles, Shots, Discus, Pole Vault, etc. It's hard to find an experienced local coach who knows what she/he is doing in those events. Let alone to cost if you have to pay them. Thanks again.
@multijumps

Thanks for the information. I would still like to see the rule changed, so athletes who want to condition can use their equipment with their coach supervising. I think it would be safer than the athlete training on his own with equipment Hurdles, Shots, Discus, Pole Vault, etc. It's hard to find an experienced local coach who knows what she/he is doing in those events. Let alone to cost if you have to pay them. Thanks again.
12/28/2018 8:24:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@discusdad I think the rule is there to protect athletes from overzealous coaches. In my opinion, all athletes should be involved in a Fall sport, a Winter sport, and a Spring sport. If a track & field athlete is doing a Fall and Winter Sport, then in a sense, they are "conditioning" for track & field as they will not begin the track & field season with zero fitness. That sport/s serve/s as a long general preparation period for track & field. High school is a time where athletes should have the freedom to explore without having their coach inadvertently force the same year-round sport upon the athlete. Athletes need a mental break from the same routines and each different sport season provides that. If your son/daughter is a thrower and he/she is not involved in a Winter sport, then there is a ton of stuff he/she can do on their own without the need of a coach being present. Strength training using his/her own body weight (push-ups, sit-ups, squats lunges, medicine ball circuits, 10m, 20m, 30m sprints, balance routines, line drills, ladder drills, nutrition research, film review, attend a throws clinic, etc.). There is always something that can be done now to lay a foundation of strength, speed, intelligence and mental clarity that will have positive benefits for their tomorrow efforts.
@discusdad

I think the rule is there to protect athletes from overzealous coaches. In my opinion, all athletes should be involved in a Fall sport, a Winter sport, and a Spring sport. If a track & field athlete is doing a Fall and Winter Sport, then in a sense, they are "conditioning" for track & field as they will not begin the track & field season with zero fitness. That sport/s serve/s as a long general preparation period for track & field. High school is a time where athletes should have the freedom to explore without having their coach inadvertently force the same year-round sport upon the athlete. Athletes need a mental break from the same routines and each different sport season provides that.

If your son/daughter is a thrower and he/she is not involved in a Winter sport, then there is a ton of stuff he/she can do on their own without the need of a coach being present. Strength training using his/her own body weight (push-ups, sit-ups, squats lunges, medicine ball circuits, 10m, 20m, 30m sprints, balance routines, line drills, ladder drills, nutrition research, film review, attend a throws clinic, etc.). There is always something that can be done now to lay a foundation of strength, speed, intelligence and mental clarity that will have positive benefits for their tomorrow efforts.
12/28/2018 8:37:02 AM
Power User
@multijumps Let's not beat around the bush... the rule is there for Football, and yes the over zealous other sport coach once in a blue moon...but mostly Football
@multijumps
Let's not beat around the bush... the rule is there for Football, and yes the over zealous other sport coach once in a blue moon...but mostly Football

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.