unsafe race
09/21/2019 10:20:47 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This race was a train wreck. Due to poor lighting and course design, multiple kids were hurt over multiple races. Kids that fell had to have stiches, one kid broke his clavicle and another girl is at Wolson Hospital now. I have never seen a race like this in my life. 911 was called on another boy that hit his head after being knocked to the ground.
This race was a train wreck. Due to poor lighting and course design, multiple kids were hurt over multiple races. Kids that fell had to have stiches, one kid broke his clavicle and another girl is at Wolson Hospital now. I have never seen a race like this in my life. 911 was called on another boy that hit his head after being knocked to the ground.
09/21/2019 11:37:55 PM
User
We just witness kids getting hurt because of the poor lighting and over crowded race. They didn’t stop the race when a group of boys fell at the very start of the race. Now there are injuries due to negligence. It was horrible.
We just witness kids getting hurt because of the poor lighting and over crowded race. They didn't stop the race when a group of boys fell at the very start of the race. Now there are injuries due to negligence. It was horrible.
09/22/2019 1:01:37 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Middle School races were perfect! Incredibly awesome event year after year and it’s always remarkable to think about how many lives Katie saved. Best of luck the rest of the season.
Middle School races were perfect! Incredibly awesome event year after year and it's always remarkable to think about how many lives Katie saved. Best of luck the rest of the season.
09/22/2019 8:06:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'd say it was a series of unfortunate events rather than negligence or poor meet management. While there were multiple injuries this is the first time I have ever witnessed this at Katie Caples. Maybe the race was a little too big given the course, but it's the same course every year and there are always hundreds of people.
I'd say it was a series of unfortunate events rather than negligence or poor meet management. While there were multiple injuries this is the first time I have ever witnessed this at Katie Caples. Maybe the race was a little too big given the course, but it's the same course every year and there are always hundreds of people.
09/22/2019 9:27:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Calling it a train wreck is a bit harsh, As a coach that had a couple of his guys fall during the race , I will still say this race is great and we will be glad to drive another 354 miles to race it again.
Calling it a train wreck is a bit harsh, As a coach that had a couple of his guys fall during the race , I will still say this race is great and we will be glad to drive another 354 miles to race it again.
09/22/2019 10:05:00 AM
User
This is a great meet and does run very smoothly. That being said, comparing this race to previous years, something did not seem quite right with the course, especially the start. The amount of injuries sustained in the first 100 meters of the later races indicates to me that there was a variety of factors that could have contributed to the “train wreck” - poor lighting in that start field, large field of athletes for the course design, slippery hay, and the really, REALLY fast funneling of the athletes heading toward the track. Also, as the day went on, the ropes and stakes outlining the course got shifted slightly causing some ropes to be virtually invisible in some areas, especially where lighting was sparse. Hopefully these issues will all be considered to minimize future train wrecks. Hope all affected athletes are ok and heal up quickly if not.
This is a great meet and does run very smoothly. That being said, comparing this race to previous years, something did not seem quite right with the course, especially the start. The amount of injuries sustained in the first 100 meters of the later races indicates to me that there was a variety of factors that could have contributed to the "train wreck" - poor lighting in that start field, large field of athletes for the course design, slippery hay, and the really, REALLY fast funneling of the athletes heading toward the track. Also, as the day went on, the ropes and stakes outlining the course got shifted slightly causing some ropes to be virtually invisible in some areas, especially where lighting was sparse. Hopefully these issues will all be considered to minimize future train wrecks. Hope all affected athletes are ok and heal up quickly if not.
09/22/2019 3:16:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@11677826 Did you get the emails sent out about the start line being adjusted and the coaches urging you to please look at the start. It was also announced again at the coaches meeting. Great course, great meet staff and great awards. This is a must for anyone to have on their schedule.
@11677826

Did you get the emails sent out about the start line being adjusted and the coaches urging you to please look at the start. It was also announced again at the coaches meeting. Great course, great meet staff and great awards. This is a must for anyone to have on their schedule.
09/22/2019 4:09:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@1538845760 I think you hit the nail on the head. The poor lighting for the elite races was probably the cause of the pile-ups. It was so dark, the starter did not see the pile-ups to call back the runners. Combine poor lighting with too many athletes, and you are bound to get mishaps. If athletes can't see the ground or the legs of athletes in front of them, then conditions are unsafe. The lighting that was provided not only blinded the athletes, but also casted many shadows. Here are a few solutions: 1) Start the races 45 min. earlier. This will allow all races to have good lighting. It will also save the host school some $$ in having to rent those lights (which are not sufficient anyway). 2) Reduce the number of teams in the Elite race to 15 and or only allow 7 per team to run in the Elite race. I think the darkness/poor lighting had much to do with the perception of congestion. If you can't see, then you will not be able to spot open areas to fill in, divots, heel recoveries of other athletes, etc.. Doing #1 will fix this. Even though Katie Caples is known as a "night race," the safety of ALL the athletes and spectators should be a priority. I thought organization of the meet and sticking to the schedule was almost perfect. The same starting box #'s were issued to multiple teams for every race (such as starting box 16 was issued to 2 teams for the same race) and the awards at the end took a bit of time as they ended at 10:20 PM. Also, I am not sure why athlete times were not taken to the hundredths.
@1538845760

I think you hit the nail on the head. The poor lighting for the elite races was probably the cause of the pile-ups. It was so dark, the starter did not see the pile-ups to call back the runners. Combine poor lighting with too many athletes, and you are bound to get mishaps. If athletes can't see the ground or the legs of athletes in front of them, then conditions are unsafe. The lighting that was provided not only blinded the athletes, but also casted many shadows. Here are a few solutions:

1) Start the races 45 min. earlier. This will allow all races to have good lighting. It will also save the host school some $$ in having to rent those lights (which are not sufficient anyway).

2) Reduce the number of teams in the Elite race to 15 and or only allow 7 per team to run in the Elite race. I think the darkness/poor lighting had much to do with the perception of congestion. If you can't see, then you will not be able to spot open areas to fill in, divots, heel recoveries of other athletes, etc.. Doing #1 will fix this.

Even though Katie Caples is known as a "night race," the safety of ALL the athletes and spectators should be a priority.

I thought organization of the meet and sticking to the schedule was almost perfect. The same starting box #'s were issued to multiple teams for every race (such as starting box 16 was issued to 2 teams for the same race) and the awards at the end took a bit of time as they ended at 10:20 PM. Also, I am not sure why athlete times were not taken to the hundredths.
09/22/2019 6:57:58 PM
User
@mformosa I do believe it would be a matter of perspective on if you felt it was a train wreck or a fine race. I am pretty sure the coaches and parents of the kids who had to be taken away in ambulances would not agree. Having a few runners fall is a different perspective then the people who had runners severely injuries due to some problems that could be avoided in the future.
@mformosa I do believe it would be a matter of perspective on if you felt it was a train wreck or a fine race. I am pretty sure the coaches and parents of the kids who had to be taken away in ambulances would not agree. Having a few runners fall is a different perspective then the people who had runners severely injuries due to some problems that could be avoided in the future.
09/23/2019 3:56:35 PM
User
This was my 1st time attending to watch, I missed my son's run last year at Katie Caples. The event and venue were pretty great! The pile ups were pretty bad. The Elite girls pile up happened right in front of me, about 100 yards past the start. It happened because of the hay from what I could see. 1 girl slipped and the speed from everyone behind her, plus tight quarters, they couldn't stop. All girls involved were down about 20 seconds and all jumped up and got back in the race except for one, who needed medical attention. My son ran after that in the boys Elite when it was darker. After the race he was cut up on his calf from the early part of the race when they got packed in like sardines and he said everyone was elbowing each other. I still loved the event and appreciate the cause. It would make sense to limit the kids in each race, maybe just top 5 runners from each school can run the Elite race? Also, I think the spectators barrier caused the funnel to be even more narrow while people moved forward to see and leaned in, closing the space too much. Thanks for a great time! We'll still be back next year.
This was my 1st time attending to watch, I missed my son's run last year at Katie Caples. The event and venue were pretty great! The pile ups were pretty bad. The Elite girls pile up happened right in front of me, about 100 yards past the start. It happened because of the hay from what I could see. 1 girl slipped and the speed from everyone behind her, plus tight quarters, they couldn't stop. All girls involved were down about 20 seconds and all jumped up and got back in the race except for one, who needed medical attention. My son ran after that in the boys Elite when it was darker. After the race he was cut up on his calf from the early part of the race when they got packed in like sardines and he said everyone was elbowing each other. I still loved the event and appreciate the cause. It would make sense to limit the kids in each race, maybe just top 5 runners from each school can run the Elite race? Also, I think the spectators barrier caused the funnel to be even more narrow while people moved forward to see and leaned in, closing the space too much. Thanks for a great time! We'll still be back next year.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.