School classifications get a revamped look
11/23/2010 7:57:38 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/highschool/news/2010/11/23/school-classifications-get-a-revamped-look.html http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2010/1122.htm I wonder what will happen to cross country and Track ?:-I
http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/highschool/news/2010/11/23/school-classifications-get-a-revamped-look.html

http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2010/1122.htm

I wonder what will happen to cross country and Track
11/23/2010 8:19:42 AM
Coach
@step1 Absolutely nothing, aside from the usual shifts due to population changes. The new classes and such only affect team sports. But I have to agree with Andy Price on the whole urban/rural thing... kudos to him for actually saying it.
@step1 Absolutely nothing, aside from the usual shifts due to population changes. The new classes and such only affect team sports.

But I have to agree with Andy Price on the whole urban/rural thing... kudos to him for actually saying it.
11/23/2010 9:21:00 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I also believe that nothing would be done for re-classifying XC. The Journal article was slightly off....the number for 7A in team sports (besides football) is actually 2260+. This is a good financial move for the FHSAA as it now ensures 32 more teams making the play-offs (more money for FHSAA).
I also believe that nothing would be done for re-classifying XC. The Journal article was slightly off....the number for 7A in team sports (besides football) is actually 2260+. This is a good financial move for the FHSAA as it now ensures 32 more teams making the play-offs (more money for FHSAA).
11/23/2010 10:11:46 AM
Coach
@coach_southard Interesting point on the financials. I do find it funny that our 1A cross country region (approximately one quarter of the class) has almost as many teams in it as our football team's entire classification (1A Urban). Cross Country and Track classes are so much bigger than those of all the other sports!
@coach_southard Interesting point on the financials.

I do find it funny that our 1A cross country region (approximately one quarter of the class) has almost as many teams in it as our football team's entire classification (1A Urban).

Cross Country and Track classes are so much bigger than those of all the other sports!
11/23/2010 11:27:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I will probably get some heat for this but I've always wanted to see if im the only one that thinks this way or is there others that feel the same way.. I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).. I think competing in races like Flrunners, Pre-State, Spanish River, etc where we can crown the overall champs is a great thing. I love competing against the best team private or public during the entire season, but I think when it comes to the State Series there should be a seperation between Private and Public in the classifications. If you want a reason for this I can probably give you 10 but I rather not state the oviese. [b]Example:[/b] [b]1A [/b]Small Private Schools [b]2A[/b] Large Private Schools [b]3A [/b]Small Public Schools [b]4A[/b] Large Public Schools [b]5A [/b]Large Public Schools This is just an opinion, and an idea (nothing else).. Will it change something... Probably NOT!
I will probably get some heat for this but I've always wanted to see if im the only one that thinks this way or is there others that feel the same way..

I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).. I think competing in races like Flrunners, Pre-State, Spanish River, etc where we can crown the overall champs is a great thing. I love competing against the best team private or public during the entire season, but I think when it comes to the State Series there should be a seperation between Private and Public in the classifications. If you want a reason for this I can probably give you 10 but I rather not state the oviese.

Example:
1A Small Private Schools
2A Large Private Schools
3A Small Public Schools
4A Large Public Schools
5A Large Public Schools

This is just an opinion, and an idea (nothing else).. Will it change something... Probably NOT!
11/23/2010 11:40:41 AM
Power User
[quote=Gooch7]I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State). Example: 1A Small Private Schools 2A Large Private Schools 3A Small Public Schools 4A Large Public Schools 5A Larger Public Schools[/quote] I second the motion.
Gooch7 wrote:
I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).

Example:
1A Small Private Schools
2A Large Private Schools
3A Small Public Schools
4A Large Public Schools
5A Larger Public Schools

I second the motion.
11/23/2010 12:17:14 PM
Coach
[quote=CoachRaposo] I second the motion.[/quote] @CoachRaposo Scared of Columbus?? :-p
CoachRaposo wrote:

I second the motion.

@CoachRaposo Scared of Columbus??
11/23/2010 12:31:24 PM
Power User
[quote=KBrnnr]Scared of [b]Holy Trinity[/b]?? [/quote] @KBrnnr Yes. :-p
KBrnnr wrote:
Scared of Holy Trinity??

@KBrnnr Yes.
11/23/2010 12:36:45 PM
Coach
Hahahaha Im scared too. Those HT girls are vicious.
Hahahaha Im scared too. Those HT girls are vicious.
11/23/2010 12:55:17 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachRaposo]Gooch7I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State). Example: 1A Small Private Schools 2A Large Private Schools 3A Small Public Schools 4A Large Public Schools 5A Larger Public Schools I second the motion.[/quote] @CoachRaposo I personally HATE the idea. There are already too many classifications from my point of view. I would rather see a meet that covered all classifications than to add more. I would rather see Florida get chopped North and South and have a championship Race (with) classifications for North and South and then a final championship with NO classifications where we crowned the BEST team and individual.
CoachRaposo wrote:
Gooch7I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).

Example:
1A Small Private Schools
2A Large Private Schools
3A Small Public Schools
4A Large Public Schools
5A Larger Public Schools

I second the motion.

@CoachRaposo

I personally HATE the idea. There are already too many classifications from my point of view. I would rather see a meet that covered all classifications than to add more. I would rather see Florida get chopped North and South and have a championship Race (with) classifications for North and South and then a final championship with NO classifications where we crowned the BEST team and individual.
11/23/2010 1:59:41 PM
Power User
[quote=BConvey]I personally HATE the idea. There are already too many classifications from my point of view.[/quote] @BConvey We must then agree to disagree. 8-)
BConvey wrote:
I personally HATE the idea. There are already too many classifications from my point of view.

@BConvey We must then agree to disagree.
11/23/2010 4:00:00 PM
Coach
Here's the problem with no classifications: MDB has 207 students, maybe 300 if you include 6th-8th grade. Trinity Prep has over 400. In theory alone, they have two of my #1, two of my #2, two of my #3, and so on and so forth. And they're in my class (district, even)! By the time you get to a nice, metro-Orlando school like Boone, you're looking at 6-8 guys on par with my #1 and the same on par with my #2. So what's the point in running a team if we know that we're outnumbered before we even line up? At least with classifications, we know that we have more even odds at having similar quantities of talent and then it gets to training and coaching and the like.
Here's the problem with no classifications:

MDB has 207 students, maybe 300 if you include 6th-8th grade.

Trinity Prep has over 400.

In theory alone, they have two of my #1, two of my #2, two of my #3, and so on and so forth. And they're in my class (district, even)!

By the time you get to a nice, metro-Orlando school like Boone, you're looking at 6-8 guys on par with my #1 and the same on par with my #2.

So what's the point in running a team if we know that we're outnumbered before we even line up?

At least with classifications, we know that we have more even odds at having similar quantities of talent and then it gets to training and coaching and the like.
11/23/2010 4:38:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We should just leave the classifications where they are at now. I would advocate going with only 3, but 4 is fine. If we add anymore it just creates a watered down field. And all the talent isn't confined to just the larger classifications (at least on the girls side). If you look at the top teams from the combined scoring, here is the number of teams each classification had. Girls 1A- 2 2A- 3 3A- 2 4A- 3 Boys 1A- 2 2A- 0 3A- 2 4A- 5
We should just leave the classifications where they are at now. I would advocate going with only 3, but 4 is fine. If we add anymore it just creates a watered down field.

And all the talent isn't confined to just the larger classifications (at least on the girls side). If you look at the top teams from the combined scoring, here is the number of teams each classification had.

Girls

1A- 2
2A- 3
3A- 2
4A- 3

Boys

1A- 2
2A- 0
3A- 2
4A- 5
11/23/2010 5:38:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachRaposo I don't like adding divisions, but I think the private schools having no geographic boundaries and being able to use 6-8th graders just causes issues. (Is the population for the 6-8th graders still not included in the enrollment used for determining classification?) At first glance, I'd be okay with having 2 public school divisions and two private school divisions, but this might result in a cumbersome number of schools in the public school divisions.
@CoachRaposo
I don't like adding divisions, but I think the private schools having no geographic boundaries and being able to use 6-8th graders just causes issues. (Is the population for the 6-8th graders still not included in the enrollment used for determining classification?) At first glance, I'd be okay with having 2 public school divisions and two private school divisions, but this might result in a cumbersome number of schools in the public school divisions.
11/23/2010 6:32:04 PM
Admin
Could some of the older coaches that were around last time this changed throw out some of the reasoning we came down to 4 classes? I was just getting started coaching, but I know we used to have 6 classes.
Could some of the older coaches that were around last time this changed throw out some of the reasoning we came down to 4 classes? I was just getting started coaching, but I know we used to have 6 classes.
11/23/2010 7:02:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think that the reason why we need the SPLIT between the private and the public is so everyone that is competing against each other are following the same rules. For example: Many private schools have 6-12 grades. In other words you have SEVEN years to get a runner to run well. Public has four years and usually 3 since they come out late. Public schools have boundaries. A good runner can be closer to my school but end up going to the school they belong to because of the boundaries. Private schools get to pick their runners, and yes I said pick their runners. Don't say anything about "entrance exam" and forget tuition cost.. There is a magic word called "Financial Aid".. :-# Transfers Athletes to Public school seat out 365 days.. Transfers to Private schools seat out way less then 365 days(maybe half of that).. The GMAC can tell me not to have practice due to weather issues. But they can't tell the private school to stop practice. It happen this season. Athletic Budget between Public and Private is like comparing a tricycle to a race car. Unlimited amount for many private schools (not all), and very little amount in Public Schools. Yes money is a big part of your season as we all know.. Like I said before I love competing against the mega programs like Belen and Columbus but once we get into District we should go our separate ways. I don't mind loosing (and I love winning) but I want to make sure if my boys lose then its to a team that needs to play by the same rules we do.
I think that the reason why we need the SPLIT between the private and the public is so everyone that is competing against each other are following the same rules. For example:

Many private schools have 6-12 grades. In other words you have SEVEN years to get a runner to run well. Public has four years and usually 3 since they come out late.

Public schools have boundaries. A good runner can be closer to my school but end up going to the school they belong to because of the boundaries. Private schools get to pick their runners, and yes I said pick their runners. Don't say anything about "entrance exam" and forget tuition cost.. There is a magic word called "Financial Aid"..

Transfers Athletes to Public school seat out 365 days.. Transfers to Private schools seat out way less then 365 days(maybe half of that)..

The GMAC can tell me not to have practice due to weather issues. But they can't tell the private school to stop practice. It happen this season.

Athletic Budget between Public and Private is like comparing a tricycle to a race car. Unlimited amount for many private schools (not all), and very little amount in Public Schools. Yes money is a big part of your season as we all know..

Like I said before I love competing against the mega programs like Belen and Columbus but once we get into District we should go our separate ways. I don't mind loosing (and I love winning) but I want to make sure if my boys lose then its to a team that needs to play by the same rules we do.
11/23/2010 7:15:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Gooch7]I will probably get some heat for this but I've always wanted to see if im the only one that thinks this way or is there others that feel the same way.. I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).. I think competing in races like Flrunners, Pre-State, Spanish River, etc where we can crown the overall champs is a great thing. I love competing against the best team private or public during the entire season, but I think when it comes to the State Series there should be a seperation between Private and Public in the classifications. If you want a reason for this I can probably give you 10 but I rather not state the oviese. Example: 1A Small Private Schools 2A Large Private Schools 3A Small Public Schools 4A Large Public Schools 5A Large Public Schools This is just an opinion, and an idea (nothing else).. Will it change something... Probably NOT![/quote] @Gooch7 I third the motion! I agree completely. I don't believe it is an even playing field. Private vs. Public is a debate that brings out a lot of emotion, but I've always felt they should be competing in their own classification, especially having come from a state that does do it that way.
Gooch7 wrote:
I will probably get some heat for this but I've always wanted to see if im the only one that thinks this way or is there others that feel the same way..

I think the classifications should include an ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL class. There is many states that seperate the Public from the Private once it comes to the State Series (District, Regional, State).. I think competing in races like Flrunners, Pre-State, Spanish River, etc where we can crown the overall champs is a great thing. I love competing against the best team private or public during the entire season, but I think when it comes to the State Series there should be a seperation between Private and Public in the classifications. If you want a reason for this I can probably give you 10 but I rather not state the oviese.

Example:
1A Small Private Schools
2A Large Private Schools
3A Small Public Schools
4A Large Public Schools
5A Large Public Schools

This is just an opinion, and an idea (nothing else).. Will it change something... Probably NOT!

@Gooch7

I third the motion! I agree completely. I don't believe it is an even playing field. Private vs. Public is a debate that brings out a lot of emotion, but I've always felt they should be competing in their own classification, especially having come from a state that does do it that way.
11/23/2010 7:30:07 PM
Coach
[b][quote=Gooch7]I think that the reason why we need the SPLIT between the private and the public is so everyone that is competing against each other are following the same rules. For example:[/quote][/b] Last time I checked we all followed the rules of the FHSAA....no? [b][quote]Many private schools have 6-12 grades. In other words you have SEVEN years to get a runner to run well. Public has four years and usually 3 since they come out late.[/quote][/b] And you have 4-6 times their student population to chose from. [b][quote]Public schools have boundaries. A good runner can be closer to my school but end up going to the school they belong to because of the boundaries. Private schools get to pick their runners, and yes I said pick their runners. Don't say anything about "entrance exam" and forget tuition cost.. There is a magic word called "Financial Aid".. [/quote][/b] One may also look at the fact that you are giving someone, who may never have the opportunity, a chance at a better education. Maybe you should talk to someone on financial aid before you judge. It may be some kids only chance at going to college. [b][quote]Transfers Athletes to Public school seat out 365 days.. Transfers to Private schools seat out way less then 365 days(maybe half of that).. [/quote][/b] Maybe the public school you attended should have taught you how to spell "sit"? [b][quote] The GMAC can tell me not to have practice due to weather issues. But they can't tell the private school to stop practice. It happen this season. [/quote][/b] Private schools do have Headmasters/Principles. They can be told the same thing. One case does not make a law. [b][quote] Athletic Budget between Public and Private is like comparing a tricycle to a race car. Unlimited amount for many private schools (not all), and very little amount in Public Schools. Yes money is a big part of your season as we all know.. [/quote][/b] Most private schools raise their own money. At HT they get $100 that each athlete pays to play a sport, and the rest is raised through fundraising. [b][quote]Like I said before I love competing against the mega programs like Belen and Columbus but once we get into District we should go our separate ways. I don't mind loosing (and I love winning) but I want to make sure if my boys lose then its to a team that needs to play by the same rules we do.[/quote][/b] Sounds to me like you start every season with a whole lot of excuses. You don't stand a chance at beating Columbus or Belen because you've already made it up in your mind that they are "privileged". The public schools in Orlando are in the same situation yet they make it work. You think Dr. Philips or Colonial think like this?
Gooch7 wrote:
I think that the reason why we need the SPLIT between the private and the public is so everyone that is competing against each other are following the same rules. For example:

Last time I checked we all followed the rules of the FHSAA....no?

Many private schools have 6-12 grades. In other words you have SEVEN years to get a runner to run well. Public has four years and usually 3 since they come out late.

And you have 4-6 times their student population to chose from.

Public schools have boundaries. A good runner can be closer to my school but end up going to the school they belong to because of the boundaries. Private schools get to pick their runners, and yes I said pick their runners. Don't say anything about "entrance exam" and forget tuition cost.. There is a magic word called "Financial Aid"..

One may also look at the fact that you are giving someone, who may never have the opportunity, a chance at a better education. Maybe you should talk to someone on financial aid before you judge. It may be some kids only chance at going to college.

Transfers Athletes to Public school seat out 365 days.. Transfers to Private schools seat out way less then 365 days(maybe half of that)..

Maybe the public school you attended should have taught you how to spell "sit"?

The GMAC can tell me not to have practice due to weather issues. But they can't tell the private school to stop practice. It happen this season.

Private schools do have Headmasters/Principles. They can be told the same thing. One case does not make a law.

Athletic Budget between Public and Private is like comparing a tricycle to a race car. Unlimited amount for many private schools (not all), and very little amount in Public Schools. Yes money is a big part of your season as we all know..

Most private schools raise their own money. At HT they get $100 that each athlete pays to play a sport, and the rest is raised through fundraising.

Like I said before I love competing against the mega programs like Belen and Columbus but once we get into District we should go our separate ways. I don't mind loosing (and I love winning) but I want to make sure if my boys lose then its to a team that needs to play by the same rules we do.

Sounds to me like you start every season with a whole lot of excuses. You don't stand a chance at beating Columbus or Belen because you've already made it up in your mind that they are "privileged". The public schools in Orlando are in the same situation yet they make it work. You think Dr. Philips or Colonial think like this?
11/23/2010 7:32:34 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Gooch7 well said!!!!:-D
@Gooch7 well said!!!!
11/23/2010 7:45:17 PM
Admin
@KBrnnr Kyle, you can't call someone out and then make a similar mistake. "One case does name make a law."
@KBrnnr Kyle, you can't call someone out and then make a similar mistake.

"One case does name make a law."

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.